GDPR, so what have you been upto

Soldato
gdpr is a rabbit hole, the more i think about it the more headaches i see.
from user drives to databases in now apparent dire need of cleansing. in fact I'm going pretty insane when i think about it!..

so i'd be interested to hear any story's on your approach :)

one of our functions is recruitment so as you can imagine we hold cv's, lots of cv's. users are lazy they store them here there and everywhere. A lot of it will have been obtained by people applying for jobs but we also gain cv's from the likes of JobServe through our subscriptions/watchdogs and the owner may not be fully aware we hold there data.

But on the flip side this is a really good opportunity to do a decent data cleanse and get proper procedures in place (though that's not my call), I've gone through our archives and removed a ton of old user data and saved a bucket on backup exposure, but one item I've yet to really tackle is archives of mailboxes in the form of PST's, the chances of these every being looked at is pretty slim but there is a likelihood they contain personal data so I'm airing on deleting them but they also contain correspondence that we may need however small the likely hood is.
I'm wondering if we can sit on the pst's or will we need to go thorough each one cleansing any personal identifying information.

its really frustrating as a lot of it is down to interpretation to what you classify as pii and your own risk assessments vs a proper clarification.

Caporegime
GDPR is not an IT problem, it’s a company process problem which IT can contribute to solving.

As you’re in recruitment you already had obligations under existing data protection regulations, if you didn’t already have some basic framework (including responsible staff) in place then I can see how GDPR is a huge shock.

Soldato
We have a couple of dedicated people who used to be in IT, but have moved to governance. From the sysadmin side, we haven't really heard that much from them which good, or maybe a worry.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
We are fully aware and already in-line to be compliment and have plenty of accreditations. But stupid will always find a way to undermine the best policy and procedures.

ie, in the event of a DR how do you ensure records are not restored, GDPR calls for something as simple as a paper record of who's requested removal, you then need to go back and delete these users. Theres no reason this could not be automated with a DB of removal requests.
Yet by definition the deletion request could be classed as pii and you need to keep it recorded!......

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
GDPR is not an IT problem, it’s a company process problem which IT can contribute to solving.

Working for a software product vendor I get a few questions about this now, my favourite one is ‘is your product fully GDPR compliant’.

Soldato
GDPR Officer <> Sys Analyst <> IT Manager > Sys Admin to ensure the techie stuff abides by the policy
|\ some poor sod lumbered with writing policies
|\ heads of department
* all staff did basic GDPR training online

luckily it's all behind us now as we started all this about a year ago

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom