• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gears of War 5 Benchmark thread - First true NAVI optimised game?

Soldato
Let's see. Downloading now, but with how slow MS servers are, probably gonna take the whole night.

For now, absolutely nothing holds a candle to Divsion 2 HDR at night w/ flares going off. Nothing. Not even close.

Soldato
Let's see. Downloading now, but with how slow MS servers are, probably gonna take the whole night.

For now, absolutely nothing holds a candle to Divsion 2 HDR at night w/ flares going off. Nothing. Not even close.

Have you tried Mortal Kombat 11 since the last update when they added more hdr settings? I thought that was really good but again same as gears it took a lot of tweaking to get it right.

Thanks for the tip about Division 2 I will download it now, I haven't tried it since getting this screen.

As for gears of war on the first mission in general the lights are great but there is some bits that really make you jump on the bright flashes. I think it's the second mission where the neons lights come in and they look pretty cool.

Soldato
Have you tried Mortal Kombat 11 since the last update when they added more hdr settings? I thought that was really good but again same as gears it took a lot of tweaking to get it right.

Thanks for the tip about Division 2 I will download it now, I haven't tried it since getting this screen.

As for gears of war on the first mission in general the lights are great but there is some bits that really make you jump on the bright flashes. I think it's the second mission where the neons lights come in and they look pretty cool.

Haven't tried MK, I don't really play fighting games tbh. In The Division 2, in Downtown East, there's a supply drop (parachute icon) somewhere, if you do those at night you're gonna be amazed, as they have the flares running during the mission. I also got it during a rain, and it was just jaw dropping.

Soldato
Thanks

Thanks, I had seen that before but forgot how much difference it was, some of them are 20% loss on my card.

Probably is worth the switch over then as most my games have hdr and plus I want the freesync. I guess I wait for price drop on these 5700xt's.
Or wait for 5800/5900XT (due out some time over the next 6 months according to hints from Lisa Su to investors). A 5700XT isn't enough of an upgrade over a GTX 1080 in my opinion.

Soldato
The benchmark is no where near real game numbers.

For me 60fps in bench is 85fps in game.

That’s why it’s fantastic - it’s a worse case benchmark as shown by digital foundry. If you get 60fps in the benchmark you can turn your fps counter off you will get over 60fps in the game

Soldato
Or wait for 5800/5900XT (due out some time over the next 6 months according to hints from Lisa Su to investors). A 5700XT isn't enough of an upgrade over a GTX 1080 in my opinion.

AMD wants that market share

I can’t see them holding back at all just like they did with ryzen 3000

If the 5800/5900xt was ready they would have launched already - so yeah they should not be far away, as soon as rdna v2 is ready those cards will go to production

Soldato
Can confirm, the HDR in this game is superb, one of the best there is. Now to figure out if I can actually stomach the game, the damn camera shaking is making me sick and even with it turned off in the menu it still happens. Ah well.

Soldato
Is there an option in the menu to turn HDR on/off?

I can't find it, I've tried turning HDR on in Windows menus and then running the game - but the game just look super dark and over saturated which seems weird, more like it's HDR toned mapped to SDR than actual HDR

Soldato
You should have an option to turn it on and off. Before i even got to play, the game made me set up my HDR with 3 sliders. If you don't see the HDR option or even got the HDR setup pre game i would try a different driver.

Last edited:
Soldato
You should have an option to turn it on and off. Before i even got to play, the game made me set up my HDR with 3 sliders. If you don't see the HDR option or even got the sliders pre game then your windows is probably the problem as the game is not recognizing that you have HDR.

The first time I started the game I did so on a non HDR desktop monitor maybe that’s the problem?

Damn windows store games never ending issues

How do I factory reset the game? Then I can open it up on Hdr tv and get those settings

Soldato
The first time I started the game I did so on a non HDR desktop monitor maybe that’s the problem?

Damn windows store games never ending issues

How do I factory reset the game?

I have no idea but does sound like the game thought you had an HDR monitor which is now causing the problem. I had something similar with sea of thieves, the game had no hdr at the time but my monitor does have it. I could barely see anything at night and it was like this until they added in HDR, what a difference to my experience.

Edit actually it was my windows that caused it, it never updated proper to service pack 1809, i reinstalled and when i installed and played the game it was like a new game and then even better when they released an hdr patch. Is your windows 10 fully patched up?

Soldato
That’s why it’s fantastic - it’s a worse case benchmark as shown by digital foundry. If you get 60fps in the benchmark you can turn your fps counter off you will get over 60fps in the game

Never thought of it like that. But yeah that's definitely better way of doing it.

Nothing worse than turning down settings as you progress though the game. I have had a few racing games in the past that each time i got a faster car I would have to turn more settings down.

Soldato
Anyone else getting the gw502 error code. Keeps happening every 5-10 minutes. Seems it's pretty rife and the game has many different crash codes effecting both sides. Frustrating as my system is very stable in all other games so pretty much putting it down to the game or possibly drivers.

Soldato
Absolutely flying this is using Ultra settings with 15 particles 15 AO. Benchmark averaged 76fps @1440p with those settings. In game its up in the 80s and 90s for the most part and even higher indoors, lovely on PC this is.

Last edited:
Soldato
Might have to change my mine on consoles xD

Played this on Xbox One X, my god what a good looking game. Runs smooth too. Seems to be locked 60FPS at 4K. Hats off to MS for this.

Puts them PlayStation Protato games to shame xD

Back
Top Bottom