Gears Of War Vista Vsync Fix

Soldato
This has been broken for a while now on Vista after NV 169.21 or something.

Just found a simple fix which works for ATI 4850 (NV Vista workaround is to either use 169.21 or lower along with disabling Triple Buffering).

Install Rivatuner 2.09 and enable the D3D Overrider tool all options! Its now fixed. Something which Microsoft/Epic could not be bothered to do on their own OS nor the Polish developer who handled the port.

Been trying it on my 4850 and under Vista you can also enable AA (go right twice instead of once in the option menu) so it looks very smooth with DX10. FPS are a little jerky still at times though but at least @ 1920x1200 lack of AA is slight and more importantly Vsync is working again as the game uses a method to increase FPS by setting a min/max FPS and bypassing vsync regardless of the setting being enabled in game or not. You cannot edit most of the ini files to set this as the game will not launch as it has been programmed to prevent ini editing/cheating on GFWLive.

Associate
I can't find D3D overrider tool in 2.09 using a 4850 and the hotfix drivers.

*edit* ignore, was looking in the program rather than the start menu. *Gets coat*

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Found that in Vista if you have the D3D overrider tool set to startup it does not work in GOW so you have to manually load it each time you play the game otherwise vsync is disabled again. Weird bug or what.

Soldato
I guess you enable it in windows startup though? Cant find it anywhere else.

Also is it a 1 I put in the box on the right? With D2D Overrider on does it mean I can apply AA all the time just through CCC?

Back
Top Bottom