• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GT 1030 (GP108) Rumours

Soldato
OP
£68 is a rip off spend an extra £30 and get yourself a second hand r9 290 that'll rip this a new one at most this needs to be £35

All depends what you need. R9 290 is not passively cooled, low profile, or bus powered and only has HDMI 1.4 and DisplayPort 1.2. So would be a complete waste of money for a HTPC.

Closest AMD have for this application is the RX550. But passive versions of this are frigging huge and cost the same.

Soldato
£68 is a rip off spend an extra £30 and get yourself a second hand r9 290 that'll rip this a new one at most this needs to be £35

That's a very sweeping statement.

First things first. My R9 290 broke. They're not the most reliable of GPUs.
Secondly. It won't fit in a low profile PC with a low wattage PSU.
Thirdly. No H.265 decode.

Soldato

R9 290 cant fit in slim PC cases with low profile PCI slots and TFX PSU up to 300W or ultra compact and fanless HTPC cases with 1 low profile PCI slot and Nano or pico PSU up to 150W. R9 290 has 275W TDP, require full profile PCI slot and minimum 550W PSU. GT 1030 is only 30W perfect for ultra compact HTPC cases with up to 150W nano/pico PSU like OrigenAE M10 Mini-ITX HTPC and Streacom F7C Evo.

I noticed OCUK dropped Palit and KFA2 GT 1030 prices down to £59.99.

Soldato
R9 290 cant fit in slim PC cases with low profile PCI slots and TFX PSU up to 300W

Allow me to illustrate :

2017-05-20%2022.23.15.jpg

(OK, so it's a 6870...)

Soldato
OP
MSI announced an RX460 Low Profile card months ago. Not actually seen one on sale anywhere yet though. NVidia just beat them to my business.
Ah yes, it was the RX460 I was thinking of, not the RX550 (I don't think there is a passive RX550 yet). XFX released a passive RX460, but it is double width and full height, plus extra heat pipes on top. Costs ~£130.

Soldato
TBH at £60 it's a steal compared to what nvidia was offering in this price bracket. Roughly 750 ti performance and faster than the way overpriced 550.

The gtx750ti is faster in almost every game than both the newer cards cards in that review though. It's probably more like a GTX750. The RX550 does seem a waste of time though especially with the one we can buy having like 20% less shaders than the one which OEMs get.

Soldato
TBH at £60 it's a steal compared to what nvidia was offering in this price bracket. Roughly 750 ti performance and faster than the way overpriced 550.

Except it is a MIN of £65 everywhere in UK ;)

Does anyone know any reports of how well these cards overclock? I run a VM rig with various VMs and passing a GT 1030 to each might be fine but I'd like to squeeze some more out of them....

Soldato
So I gave up on the passive card appearing after waiting for over a month with the stock dates repeatedly going back (not OcUK), so ordered the EVGA LP card with the fan from OcUK which arrived next day. With Haribo. :)

I'm getting boost clocks even in this 30C+ weather that are well above what's advertised. It's starting off at 1750MHz and settling back to 1720MHz, where the specs states boost is 1544MHz.

I'm wondering a couple of things :
1) Did I win the silicon lottery?
2) Are the passive cards getting similar results?

Soldato
So I gave up on the passive card appearing after waiting for over a month with the stock dates repeatedly going back (not OcUK), so ordered the EVGA LP card with the fan from OcUK which arrived next day. With Haribo. :)

I'm getting boost clocks even in this 30C+ weather that are well above what's advertised. It's starting off at 1750MHz and settling back to 1720MHz, where the specs states boost is 1544MHz.

I'm wondering a couple of things :
1) Did I win the silicon lottery?
2) Are the passive cards getting similar results?

Looking at the passive cards they seem to get beaten by normal RX550 cards so I suspect clockspeeds are not as high as the actively cooled versions.

Soldato
Heatsink on the EVGA does seem appear more beefy than the other brand LP cards. I had to remove the shroud to get access to the screw securing the rear bracket. My initial fear of it being noisy hasn't happened, it's virtually inaudible compared to the system fans.

Law of sod dictated the EVGA passive finally went into stock with the other retailer today, but I've cancelled the order.

Soldato
So does this finally beat the 7750 as the lowest wattage consuming card thats actually in some way usable for HTPC gaming?

I did have a 750ti in my HTPC but ended up going back to the 7750 as the diffence between the two cards power consumption made the difference on stability. I dont think its the average as much as I remember the 750ti spiking a bit.

Back
Top Bottom