Gel number plates

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I dont think they are, read the full document. It can be a 3d print but the plate has to be flat. Not that anyone really seems to care. My front plate is 3/4 size and I've never been pulled up on it.
3D is fine. Otherwise it would specify 3D effect. Documents like this are literal.

Man of Honour
But that is 3D in relation to a 3D "effect" font such as this one

front-and-back-3d-number-plates-preston.jpg

So that the plate is in effect still flat with no raised surfaces.

Having lettering and numbers that are raised from the back plate, I believe is illegal, same as pressed metal plates are illegal as they have raised lettering and numbers.
Pressed metal plates are not illegal, neither are raised letters of any sort. Haven't you ever seen a number plate with stuck on plastic characters?

Commissario
Well it's illegal on 4 counts. The spacing, the dot, the owners name in text below and no BS stamp. Then there's the fact it has the most tenuous link to the owners name ever.

It was crap.
Right, so the actual plate, the “gel” part (whatever that is) has nothing to do with the reason you think it was crap. Is that right?

Soldato
I dont think they are, read the full document. It can be a 3d print but the plate has to be flat. Not that anyone really seems to care. My front plate is 3/4 size and I've never been pulled up on it.
Got a screenshot?

Looking at the below:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/schedule/3/part/3/made#text

It mentions heights for pressed/embossed plates which I feel this would fall under. The way it says "and classic" to me suggests that it's not only Pre 1973 plates that this is relevant to?

Caporegime
Right, so the actual plate, the “gel” part (whatever that is) has nothing to do with the reason you think it was crap. Is that right?

No. The fact that the owner has had to break the law multiple times to try and have a plate that remotely resembles their name is why I think it was crap.

Commissario
No. The fact that the owner has had to break the law multiple times to try and have a plate that remotely resembles their name is why I think it was crap.
Right, so you’d think it was crap even if it was a standard number plate, not a ‘gel’ plate. The fact that it’s gel has nothing to do with it :confused:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I can't believe how angry some people get over someone else's lisense plate! All because of non-conformity??

You'd be shocked at some of the things some people do.

Soldato
He'll plates are unlikely to meet the requirements set by BS AU 145d. It's also worth noting that the imminent introduction of BS AU 145e will get rid of 3D type fonts.
"imminent" - Pfft, Parliament are too busy chasing their tail with Brexit...

Has it even got a slot in parliament yet?

How is it going to be managed? I appreciate that most of this standard is in the testing of robustness and a small change to layout, but is every plate not compliant really going to be illegal? Or will it be a similar "vehicles prior to 2019 reg need not apply" or?

Soldato
OP
Well thanks for your responses folks.

I see that as well as the 3D "domed" lettering, the manufacturers have managed to tap into the 4th dimension with the introduction of laser cut "4D" lettering.

I think the standard gel lettering looks best personally - almost a nod back to the days where the 3d plastic letters were stuck on, as previously mentioned.

Man of Honour
He'll plates are unlikely to meet the requirements set by BS AU 145d. It's also worth noting that the imminent introduction of BS AU 145e will get rid of 3D type fonts.
FWIW, BSAU145e only makes reference to 3D "type" fonts as you say - meaning, two tone numerals.

Gel, or aluminium pressed plates would not have 3D effect/two tone numerals. As long as the material conforms to the rest of the specification, I don't see a reason for them to be non-compliant.

Soldato
FWIW, BSAU145e only makes reference to 3D "type" fonts as you say - meaning, two tone numerals.

Gel, or aluminium pressed plates would not have 3D effect/two tone numerals. As long as the material conforms to the rest of the specification, I don't see a reason for them to be non-compliant.

Reading the headline changes:
SO WHAT DO PLATE HAVE TO BE UNDER THE E STANDARD?
Durable and able to resist:

• Impact. Stone chips and minor parking collisions are unfortunately part of driving. The impact test ensures the plate’s longevity.
  • Bending. The components that make up a plate can separate from each other when the plate is bent. This is sometimes called plate delamination. The bend test prevents delamination on BNMA member supplied plates.
  • Thermal change. The UK’s changeable temperature necessitates this test. The plate’s shape and size must remain the same when subjected to heat and cold.
  • Abrasion (NEW). Plates stay clear and easy-to-read if they pass the abrasion test. This protects against repeated exposure to dirt, road grime and jet-washing.
  • Being removed from a vehicle. Provided adhesive pads are placed correctly along the plate, it will take over 160 hours of consistent pressure to detach a plate that passes the E standard.
  • Weathering. The weathering test under BS AU 145d remains the same under BS AU 145e. It’s a key and extensive test and replicates 2,275 hours of UV exposure; 2½ times more than some other European number plate test schedules.
  • Dirt. As a subset of the weathering test, plates must be able to resist simulated dirt.
Reflective, with the correct:

• Colourimetry. Plates must be made of components that show the correct white for front plates, yellow for rear plates and black for printed digits.
  • Retroreflection. To keep them distinct on a plate, the black digits and yellow or white background have very different retroreflectivity rules. The black digits cannot exceed 0.5 retroreflective units (cd/lx) whereas the white or yellow background can’t exceed 150 retroreflective units.
  • Near Infrared contrast (NEW). ANPR cameras read plates by looking at the contrast between the digit and the plate background. This contrast is read in the near infrared (NIR) spectrum, similar to infrared or ultraviolet. The new rules make sure all plates can be read in NIR. The NIR test is repeated at various points during the accreditation process.

Honestly sounds more like an attempt to weed out poor quality plates and any of the stupid attempts at defeating cameras, I can't see why Pressed plates or Gel plates could not be made to be compliant.

On that subject I've seen on some forum people asking the police if pressed plates are legal to which the responding officer said 'no, they are illegal' but reading his apparently 'educated' reasoning it was effectively "BSAU145d states it must be made of a reflective material, aluminium isn't reflective"..

Back
Top Bottom