*** General TVs Talk Thread ***

Soldato
^^

that's about in line with what we've seen from other tests.

4k content on the 4K qled looks better than 8k content on the 8k qled

as of 2019 8k led tvs are a gimmick and not recommended to buy

what we really want to see is more tests with the LG 8k OLED but unfortunately they are as rare as a golden egg and reviewers can't afford to buy one

Soldato
OP
8 Series review up

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/8-series-2019-q825-qled

Just as we've seen from other earlier reviews/impressions, perhaps the most abysmal failure of any TV yet seen. That it still scores so highly is a big blow against RTINGS' system. When you have elements simply disappearing, not a few and for edge cases, but wholly, how can contrast still be great? Do words still have meaning anymore or are they just thoughtlessly used? And how can a TV which is so badly set-up out of the box in terms of colour accuracy that it looks like the colour engine is painting with puke be considered even usable let alone receive praise? Absolutely baffling review, but at least for people who still think & read rather than just look at the score the picture is clear. It's gonna take them many years to get a handle on the LD algorithm, but mini-LED does show some promise (if Sony were to jump in...). It's just that it's not a TV you'd ever want to pay money for, let alone what they're asking for.

And since awards are in season, I hereby grant RTINGS with the 'Yikes' award, and TCL with the 'Big oof' award respectively. Better luck next time. :p

Soldato
miniLED This terminology was missing from my vocabulary until today, execution does not seem perfect according to below rtings review video (Vincent has some serious competition)
but with a genuine FullArray .. this could become a serious contender 77" for 3K$.
need someone like panasonic or sony with their processing expertise to perfect it; (slot in the electronics from their dx920)

TCL's X10 with miniLED launches in late 2019

Soldato
Mini led is more marketing than reality.
That's why the rtings review is so negative on it.

current led/lcd FALD panels have up to 500 dimming zones. Mini LED increases the dimming zones to up to 1000 zones.

The 1000 is not great when you have up to 33 million pixels now on TVs for sale

Last edited:
Soldato
At half the price of an oled, those, for whom size matters, but, only a smaller wallet, may bite ... don't know which retailer might pick them up.

Soldato
is this under-provisioning of transmitters ? since the weather seems to cause these problems too frequently ..
so, radio streaming in the interim - I can't remember similar problems 15 years back (pre-broadband), whether frequency changes+dtv exacerbated it, or global warming -
I probably need to sign up for satellite/sky again

Freeview TV signal down for people across the whole of Cambridgeshire

Still got freeview reception problems in Cambridge due to tropospheric problems
... apparently global warming is contributory too - Greta never said it would be like this.

Soldato
Is there anything to look forward to particularly in this years TVs? Or should I bite the bullet and get the last of the 2019 OLED TVs?

Soldato
OP
Why can't we get these deals?

H8G Series will be available March 2020 for $399.99 (50”), $499.99 (55”), $699.99 (65”) and $1,399.99 (75”) MSRP.
- 90 LD zones, 700-nits peak brightness
H9G Series will be available April 2020 for $699.99 (55”) and $999.99 (65”) MSRP.
- 180 LD zones, 1000-nits peak brightness
H65G Series will be available Q2 2020 for $269.99 (43”), $299.99 (50”), $329.99 (55”), $479.99 (65”), $899.99 (75”) and $1,499.99 (85”) MSRP.

Tell you what, for a big arse gaming/lounge (for sports) setup that doesn't take itself too seriously, I can live even with the LD-less 85" for $1500. Heck, the current 85" option is a Sony XG8596 and that would be closer to $2800. That's a BIG difference and I doubt there's much difference between the two. Siiiiigh.

Soldato
looks like netflix will be produce a good oled versus fald testcase

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1579158195
With Night on Earth, Netflix is also demonstrating that Our Planet was not a one-off. The company has ambitions to participate in a genre that viewers usually associate with more established players such as BBC, National Geographic, and Discovery. And Netflix certainly has the budget to pull it off.

Its predecessor, our planet, could have been a reason to get a netflix account.

Carl Segan would have been a good narrator ..... sorry - it sounds like greta is narrating on the preview, whose Samira Wiley ???
edit: Mr Segan https://youtu.be/1-OdJmAefOY?t=451

Soldato
So I was all set for deciding between the LG C9 and Samsung Q90. Only to find out that 50" is the max I can fit.
So what are my options now.

Main use are movies, Amazon Video so 4k and HDR10+ is preferable.
Also upcoming consoles.

I was leaning more towards the Samsung for the better brightness as the TV is located opposite the window so does get some glare.

It does appear LG plan to do a 48" C TV this year but I can't find out what.

Soldato
looks like netflix will be produce a good oled versus fald testcase

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1579158195

Its predecessor, our planet, could have been a reason to get a netflix account.

Carl Segan would have been a good narrator ..... sorry - it sounds like greta is narrating on the preview, whose Samira Wiley ???
edit: Mr Segan https://youtu.be/1-OdJmAefOY?t=451

Omg

1) it looks awesome
And
2) it's going to absolutely murder edge lit and FALD tvs lol

Caporegime
So I was all set for deciding between the LG C9 and Samsung Q90. Only to find out that 50" is the max I can fit.
So what are my options now.

Main use are movies, Amazon Video so 4k and HDR10+ is preferable.
Also upcoming consoles.

I was leaning more towards the Samsung for the better brightness as the TV is located opposite the window so does get some glare.

It does appear LG plan to do a 48" C TV this year but I can't find out what.
Sounds like your probably best off with the 50Q70R.

Caporegime
Omg

1) it looks awesome
And
2) it's going to absolutely murder edge lit and FALD tvs lol

murder edge lit - large ones yes.

murder FALD - i don't think so.

don't get me wrong it will be better than FALD but it won't murder it by any means. especially the ones with hundreds / thousands of zones.

Back
Top Bottom