*** General TVs Talk Thread ***

Caporegime
It is quite annoying that there is nothing new in the sub-40" range.

We want to upgrade out old 32" H6400 bedroom tv to something newer, but have limited wall space.

The 39" Hisense might just fit, but no 40" or above will, and 32" inch is the next step down, with no new sets from any of the players for years now, or ones that are only 720p.

Samsung's N5000 range from the end of last year is actually worse than our 2014 Sammy (which has smart features, wifi and even 3D).

Might need to go with the M55x from 2017.

Soldato
with the trend for borderless , presumably the newer gx8 panasonics will not fit ? what's your diagonal ?

.. but there should soon be more smaller sizes ... the 'offcuts' from the larger glass sheets for 8k PPI sheets. (like the 48" oled)

Even if the british market wants big sets (I don't either) , other countries can't afford them, and post-brexit there might be cut-backs here.

Caporegime
with the trend for borderless , presumably the newer gx8 panasonics will not fit ? what's your diagonal ?

.. but there should soon be more smaller sizes ... the 'offcuts' from the larger glass sheets for 8k PPI sheets. (like the 48" oled)

Even if the british market wants big sets (I don't either) , other countries can't afford them, and post-brexit there might be cut-backs here.

The 39" Hisense is 88.5cm wide, which will fit provided we install blinds within the window rather than a curtain rod extending beyond the window frame.

Looks like the Panny GX800 is 90cm wide, which might be too much (the missus is kinda particular about these things, lol).

Caporegime

it's edge lit, doesn't have a lot of the features which make it any good.

it's basically the same as any other decent 43". if it was FALD i would have got one. it doesn't even have the wide viewing angle tech either so a no go for the room i want it for. current LG IPS will do until OLED is launched at 43"

Soldato
it's edge lit, doesn't have a lot of the features which make it any good.

it's basically the same as any other decent 43". if it was FALD i would have got one. it doesn't even have the wide viewing angle tech either so a no go for the room i want it for. current LG IPS will do until OLED is launched at 43"

It'll probably be the best 43" TV you can buy, edge lit doesn't mean terrible. Sometimes I think you put too much weight on FALD, yes done correctly they are superior, but most have too few zones.

Caporegime
It'll probably be the best 43" TV you can buy, edge lit doesn't mean terrible. Sometimes I think you put too much weight on FALD, yes done correctly they are superior, but most have too few zones.

Interesting, my current Sammy H6400s are FALD, and looking at the Pannys that might fit in the bedroom:

40FS500 - £400 - FALD
40GX700 - £600 - Edge Lit
40GX800 - £800 - Edge Lit

To be viewed from 9 feet away. I'm wondering if the GX800 is anywhere near 'twice as good' as the FS500...

Caporegime

the issue is I bought a top of the range 43" 2 years ago for around £900. it's already a very good tv. so it would need to be a significant upgrade to warrant spending another £900 on a 43" 2 years later.

Caporegime
Interesting, my current Sammy H6400s are FALD, and looking at the Pannys that might fit in the bedroom:

40FS500 - £400 - FALD

To be viewed from 9 feet away. I'm wondering if the GX800 is anywhere near 'twice as good' as the FS500...

Actually, what am I even thinking!? FS500 all the way, it's a bedroom tv FFS, I could spend a bit more than the GX800 and get an OLED for the lounge, haha!

Soldato
the issue is I bought a top of the range 43" 2 years ago for around £900. it's already a very good tv. so it would need to be a significant upgrade to warrant spending another £900 on a 43" 2 years later.

Well yes, but thats always the way with TVs, usually you pay a lot of extra ££ for slight upgrades. I usually wait 4-6 years so its a proper upgrade rather than a 1-2% improvement, its what puts me off OLED - will it last that amount of time without burn in!

Actually, what am I even thinking!? FS500 all the way, it's a bedroom tv FFS, I could spend a bit more than the GX800 and get an OLED for the lounge, haha!

I take it you are space limited? I usually put my old lounge TV into the bedroom.

Soldato
40FS500 - £400 - FALD

fs500 is last years model, so waiting a bit the gx800 will be 550-600,
but agree 4k (edit: 1080p) it has, for a 40" bedroom screen would be fine, vs 4k, and seems it has some hdr10 support too , but maybje just 500nits (similar to a sustained oled though!)
personally viewing envionment in bedrooms can be more demanding (watching in dark ?, and at oblique angles) - I cannot see what panels it has ?
even last years pan fx750 had sub 50 fald zones, so like 200solsz said, I wouldn't put weight on that.
... any good reviews on it ?

Last edited:
Caporegime
fs500 is last years model, so waiting a bit the gx800 will be 550-600,
but agree 4k it has, for a 40" bedroom screen would be fine, vs 4k, and seems it has some hdr10 support too , but maybje just 500nits (similar to a sustained oled though!)
personally viewing envionment in bedrooms can be more demanding (watching in dark ?, and at oblique angles) - I cannot see what panels it has ?
even last years pan fx750 had sub 50 fald zones, so like 200solsz said, I wouldn't put weight on that.
... any good reviews on it ?

All 3 Pannys I mentioned are VA (my prefered panel).

We are happy with our existing Sammy 32H6400 which is FALD and VA, we were just thinking, as we have moved house, we could give that to her mother, and upgrade our bedroom tv.

The idea is to cantilever it against the wall shown below, but it needs to be able to be set flush against the wall, hence the size limit:

Rvaq9jT.jpg

Caporegime

We are happy with our existing Sammy 32H6400 which is FALD and VA, we were just thinking, as we have moved house, we could give that to her mother, and upgrade our bedroom tv.

The idea is to cantilever it against the wall shown below, but it needs to be able to be set flush against the wall, hence the size limit:

Rvaq9jT.jpg

32H6400 is FALD?

Soldato
The idea is to cantilever it against the wall shown below, but it needs to be able to be set flush against the wall, hence the size limit
very off to one side, for tv contrast. ... I don't know how much a cantilever can side shift a tv, or telescopic ?
but I'd consider partially obscuring a wardrobe door, otherwise you rick your neck - no ?

Soldato

Rvaq9jT.jpg
How about a bed with built in TV
https://www.tvbed.co.uk/tv-beds/double-tv-beds-4-6/
https://www.wayfair.co.uk/furniture/sb0/tv-beds-c536729.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom