*** General TVs Talk Thread ***

Soldato
OP
Have their been any thorough VRR reviews of this years OLEDs yet? Wondering if they'll be suitable for next gen consoles or not, I haven't seen any real confirmed range tests for 4k. 40-120hz? More? Less?

Not yet afaik. We're still waiting for HDMI 2.1 sources. But I'd wager it's not gonna be much better than 40ish as bottom end of the VRR range.

Soldato
True for UK but not widely available. Have only seen the bottom of the barrel models in EE.

Same here downunder - shops do sell TCL, but usually it’s only the previous years models AND it’s all the low end models, they don’t sell the high end stuff.

My theory is that TCL is seeing as a junk brand outside the USA, that’s why they only sell the high end panels in the USA

Don’t think I’ve seen any proper tests - but VRR on 2019 hdmi 2.1 tvs is 40hz to 120hz as per the specs published by the manufacturer

Soldato
Samsung shuts down all LCD/LED panel production in Korea. Will source any required stock of LED/LCD panels from China.

Most remaining Korean production facilities are now getting converted to OLED production. One other facility is still working on MicroLED which isn’t ready for consumer products anytime soon

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1565942818

Pretty damming news for the life of QLED - this strongly indicates that going forward OLED will take its place as Samsung’s high end TVs while QLED gets relegated to the low end.

Last edited:
Soldato
LG's going thriough the same ruminations .. had read this article trying to understand the oled price drops, and what upcoming deals there maybe

https://www.zdnet.com/article/fear-...e-axe-for-oled-tv-burn-in-and-market-squeeze/
.. it's a translation, and a bit biassed, but has over-view of high/medium market segments (qled's doing well)

edit:
These moves by LG and Samsung reflect the market share changes of the past three years. Up until 2017, LG seemed to be closing the gap against its chief rival Samsung in the TV market. In 2016, Samsung controlled 28% of market share in terms of revenue, while LG and Sony had 13.6% and 8.5%, respectively, according to IHS Markit. In 2017, when Samsung introduced the QLED brand, it took a beating and its market share dropped to 26.5%, while LG and Sony clinched 14.6% and 10.2%. But in 2018, Samsung made a huge comeback with 29%, while LG clinched 16.4%, and Sony 10.1%
etc

Soldato
That particular article has been doing the rounds and ridiculed for being a hit piece.

Prices will be dropping though, competition is good. Very keen to see in Samsung can do anything about burn in, if they do I’ll swap over otherwise just waiting for microled in a few years from now hopefully.

LG will be concerned considering they only have 1 or 2 years left before Samsung enters the consumer OLED market, I don’t think they expected to have any competition in that space.

And the main reason they can claim good qled sales is the price drops And price raises - they keep introducing new lower end models with lower prices while actually increasing prices at the high end - Q90R qled is about 40% more expensive than an LG C9 oled here but the Q60R entry qled is 50% cheaper than the C9. But the q60r didnt exist that long ago - Samsung introduced as a very cut down qled with most features missing compared to the high end, they’re able to cut down prices due to sourcing cheap LED panels out of China and now they are doubling down on Chinese production while sitting down Korean LED production

Last edited:
Soldato
So right now isn’t the time to buy a new tv?

I’ve been looking around before I got myself in knots and gave up. I want OLED but the wife often pauses programmes for ages.

Soldato
there's middle ground where there's nothing wrong with what you have .. its >4 years old .. wearing out ...and if a good value for money deal comes along at the right prices you'd bite.

Definitely like the new versus used car market ... if you buy last years models cost of ownership is reduced .. for negligible loss in functionality,
or even the irony where last years model was better value for money (xe9 versus xf9 ? or, Q60FAM, FX750)

I can't work out how brexit has impacted prices ... dealer margin must have been cut, and I can't believe they had pre-purhased much stock before march, yet the deals seemed better than previous years on oled ie ~£1K/[BC]8

Associate
Can't quite afford OLED and also I plan on doing a some of gaming so I am thinking about getting an LG 49" Nanocell with HDMI 2.1 and 120hz.

LG 49SM8600PLA is £750

Anyone got one?

Soldato
LG C9 won the best gaming TV category by 0.7, which is 20% higher than the runner up Panasonic.

Unfortunately there is no value category - but it's easy to see why the C9 is the leader - it's by far the cheapest TV in the list and yet on average has the best performance too.

Poor Q90R QLED TV, guess Samsung will need to start running more OLED burn in TV add propaganda after this thrashing. Samsung OLED coming in 1 or 2 years

Soldato
yes - agree the gaming win was larger ... but the intervention of q90r in (i need to look) whatever bright test they did surprising. (concessionary ?)
more expensive, as you say, though.

but the significance of all the results, stasticically, questionable, unless they qualify them further.

HDTVTest 2019 Shootout winners

Winner Runner-up
Best Home Theatre TV:
Panasonic GZ2000 (20.84 points) LG C9 (20.81 points)
Best Living Room TV: Panasonic GZ2000 (23.73 points) Samsung Q90R (23.44 points)
Best Gaming TV: LG C9 (4.67 points) Panasonic GZ2000 (3.92 points)
Best HDR TV: LG C9 (17.34 points) Panasonic GZ2000 (16.81 points)
Best TV of 2019: LG C9 (33.16 points) Panasonic GZ2000 (32.90 points)
Category parameter scores

Winner Runner-up
Blacks & Shadow Detail:
LG C9 (4.69 points) Panasonic GZ2000 (4.31 points)
Colour accuracy: LG C9 (4.47 points) Panasonic GZ2000 (4.36 points)
Tone-Mapping: Panasonic GZ2000 (4.32 points) LG C9 (4.11 points)
Motion: Sony AG9 (4.15 points) Panasonic GZ2000 (4.12 points)
Video processing: Panasonic GZ2000 (3.92 points) Sony AG9 (3.85 points)
Uniformity: Panasonic GZ2000 (4.25 points) Sony AG9 (3.96 points)
Bright room performance: Samsung Q90R (4.37 points) LG C9 (3.75 points)
Gaming: LG C9 (4.67 points) Panasonic GZ2000 (3.92 points)

Soldato
OP
Guys, these shoot-outs are always just marketing events. Put no stock in them.

At the end of the day, the only facts are those that can be objectively measured. Rest is up for interpretation and personal preference, which these sort of shoot-outs are... just pure subjectivity, especially since results change so much depending on source & environment.

Soldato
Guys, these shoot-outs are always just marketing events. Put no stock in them.

At the end of the day, the only facts are those that can be objectively measured. Rest is up for interpretation and personal preference, which these sort of shoot-outs are... just pure subjectivity, especially since results change so much depending on source & environment.
Hardly, they were controlled conditions, no way of telling which display was which, the judges were professional calibrators or people in the industry.

The reference display they compared against costs £30k

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1566209962

Soldato
OP
Hardly, they were controlled conditions, no way of telling which display was which, the judges were professional calibrators or people in the industry.

The reference display they compared against costs £30k

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1566209962

Controlled conditions means nothing, because controlled conditions for them are just one environment setup. Where it will actually be in your home is something else, and that will dramatically affect the result. Your window setup, your curtains, time of day, lights/positioning etc & etc. To say nothing of chosen footage, which can also dramatically affect what looks good on what TV. If there was so much objectivity to these people then they would all get the same results, and crown the same TVs. Curious that it doesn't go that way, and different groups of even such "professionals" end up picking different TVs as winners, depending on who hosts the shootout.

As for "professional calibrator" part, gimme a break. These are the same people who would for years pick TVs which crushed shadow detail like no tomorrow over TVs with slight blooming that didn't - and think nothing of it, as if black & near-black detail was suddenly irrelevant! To say nothing of all the near-defect level of flaws (banding, streaking, uniformity issues of a dirt diaper and on and on it goes) for which they barely wrote a footnote but saw no reason not to shower said TVs with awards & praise. It's clear they want to have a job & that means compromising their credibility because they're not gonna call out their benefactors.

The only piece of credible info they ever gave was whatever calman reported, but otherwise? Nah.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom