1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Attitudes Changing towards Immigration

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Bar, 5 Jun 2007.

1. dirtydog

PermaBanned

1 in 20 social housing places is occupied by an immigrant...

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/11957

Why is one single immigrant being given this social housing when our own people struggle with the cost of living in the private sector, not protected by nice subsidised council rents?

2. The Running Man

Caporegime

i think you have answered your own question there. because "our" people are living in the private sector and arent renting council houses?

oh and as to why one single immigrant being given social housing, maybe its because they fitted the criteria better than someone else who filled out the form?

3. dirtydog

PermaBanned

There are people living on people's floors, in B&Bs and in homeless hostels who have been on the waiting list for years - why are immigrants jumping them in the queue?

One of the criteria should be, were you born in the UK? If no, you cannot get social housing, period.

If I remember correctly, phykell agrees with me on this :)

4. dirtydog

PermaBanned

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/13359

Last edited: 14 Jul 2007
  5. Toryglen-boy

Mobster

i agree with Britain for the Brittish to a point, and i agree with some of the stuff people like Dirty Dog say, although DD is almost biggoted to the point of no return, and if it wasnt this to moan about it would be something else,he also is fighting for 'the cause' just now, although i get the impression that its really "England for the English' instead of the being British, but i digress :p

the problem with this country is, basically when it opened the doors to let poeple in, it wasnt in too good shape to begin with.

i am not saying lets not have immigrants, they can contribute to the melting pot that is the 21st century and make this a more diverse, interesting place to live in, all i am saying is.

1. We should get the countrys problems sorted first and foremost, charity begins at home, and we should have gotten the welfare state, and the economy sorted before inviting everyone in.

2. We are too soft. Imagine if i flew to Islamabad and said 'Right, i have arrived, i want a house because i have a family, and i want a christian church built so i can worship' i would get horsewhipped, and probably shot.

I lose my home throguh no fault of my own, my wife was having an affair, it went to court, we got divorced, she got custody of my daughter, and the court awarded sole occupancy of the house (that was just in MY name) to her, i went to the council, and was told i would have to wait 20 years to get housed, then that very week 50,000 kurdish refugees where housed in the middle of Glasgow, how on earth did they think that was gonna make me feel? i was livid? i have worked and lived all my life in the UK, given to the system without taking anything, and here was some nobody from someplace on the other side of the world, arriving off a boat, getting the keys to a house, a car, a giro, and a new life, and i was told to go fish?

DOES THIS GOVERNMENT EVEN KNOW THE BAD FEELING THEY ARE CAUSING IN PEOPLE NATIVELY FROM THIS COUNRTY BY NOT PUTTING THEM FIRST, OR LISTENING TO THIER NEEDS ?

it gets me so angry ...

edited for spelling

Last edited: 14 Jul 2007
  6. dirtydog

PermaBanned

Here is what the black candidate for the mayor of London position thinks of multiculturalism, and I agree with her.

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/...e_is_the_new_black_says_mayoral_candidate.php

7. phykell

Mobster

rm

Last edited: 6 Aug 2007
  8. dirtydog

PermaBanned

It was probably because you are one of the most respected posters here so you agreeing gives my post added credibility :) (something which an unkind person might say is much needed ;))

9. i know nothing

Mobster

Is discussion and debate on the subject really that suppressed by political correctness? It seems to me that it's a subject that is widely debated.

10. frosty03

Wise Guy

the only was to "clamp down" on mass immigration is to pull out of the EU.

By far the greatest number of immigrants are now coming from within europe, for which we cannot stop them due to EU law.

I cannot see us withdrawing from the EU anytime soon...

11. dirtydog

PermaBanned

In fact even under EU law we could have imposed more stringent restrictions on the new EU member countries like Poland. Most other EU countries like France and Germany have done exactly that, which is why most of them flock over here.

12. Angilion

Man of Honour

I don't think the issue is immigration per se, or even the scale of it, but the purpose of many of those doing it. It is moving away from being immigration and towards being conquest.

To give an example of the distinction I'm trying to make:

One of my father's coworkers from when I was a boy particularly sticks in my mind because he lifted me up so I could start a train when I was 6. That really made my day, so it's stayed in my memory. He was the guard on the train and back in those days the guard pressed a button in the guard van to let the driver know everything was OK and they could start the train moving. This man had been born thousands of miles away, had skin so dark that it could reasonably be called black and had emigrated to England as a young man. He was English. This was his country, his homeland. He spoke English only. His clothing was ordinary for this country, he lived an ordinary life for this country. He was an Englishman. It never occured to me to think of him as anything else.

Where I used to live, many of the residents are Pakistani. They live in England. Many were born in England. They are officially British, with all the rights and privileges that come with being British. But they are Pakistani. They aren't English or British and don't want to be. They speak English only when necessary, etc, etc.

That, I think, is the key difference.

13. anarchist

PermaBanned

14. dirtydog

PermaBanned

I wish my 'disposable' income was £500 a week... god knows where they get their figures from :)

15. anarchist

PermaBanned

I presume they mean household income, so usually two earners perhaps.

16. dirtydog

PermaBanned

I found this with a quick google, from 2002...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1921062.stm

Surely disposable means what you have left after paying for the cost of living. Does the average household really have that sort of money to spend on whatever they want? I find that hard to believe.

17. anarchist

PermaBanned

That's what I would describe it as yes, but not the BBC it seems, since they imply that people - despite higher disposable income - are worse off because of the higher cost of living.

18. dirtydog

PermaBanned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disposable_income

Hmm.

Apparently we are wrong then, but it makes no sense to me.

19. anarchist

PermaBanned

Not just us, I've never heard anybody (except the BBC) talk about disposable income in that way.

But no it makes no sense, since I wouldn't consider essential living costs like food and water as "disposable" items.

20. dirtydog

PermaBanned