1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Election 2015

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Stretch, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Meridian

Man of Honour

If that were true, only the Opposition would be allowed to ask questions. But the party in power can as well. Searching questions, like: "Will the Prime Minister agree that the Long Term Economic plan put in place by this fantastic government will lead to world peace, and end to poverty, and unicorns for all?" Hardly holding the government to account, is it?

2. PlacidCasual

Soldato

As an English voter in Wales, that about sums it up. Five years of the Neverendum, relocated to Westminster, propping up and dragging to the left a dysfunctional Labour Government. What's not to love.

3. Bear

Capodecina

Kind of sums up the two faced, hypocritical BS you get from Nationalists. You vote to break up the union, and you expect the media and politicians to welcome a party which wants to break up the union and only cares about Scotland, to be a good force in British politics as a whole, then have the bare faced cheek to claim Better together not so garbage. Unbeliveable!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  4. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

As will Labour in Scotland.

5. sityeuropa

Wise Guy

I know people on benefits with bigger TVs and newer phones than myself.

Benefits needs cutting or they need to be directed what to spend their money on.

Food vouchers linked to ID's please.

6. El Pew

Wise Guy

How do you know they bought them with benefits, and not with money earned prior to going on benefits or debt financing?

Should someone on benefits immediately sell all their possessions and assume the lifestyle of a monk or something as punishment for having the temerity to be poor? :rolleyes:

7. DisrupTor75

Mobster

why not re-open the old nazi concentration camps? mandatory strip searches in case they are hiding a food bank parcel? or maybe forced sterilization in case they breed? maybe a tattoo of a big B on the forehead? :rolleyes:

Perhaps the people you know that are on benefits and have these big tvs and new phones are actually making money doing something else, legal or not.

Being on benefits is not some lifestyle choice to be desired as the vast majority that have been in that situation will tell you they can barely make any ends meet. You only have to look at the massive rise in food banks since the tory's got in to see what the cuts are doing to the poorest in this country.

you are taking the example of the few and blanketing the many.

8. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

No one physically able to work should be on benefits. JSA or GTFO.

9. scorza

Caporegime

A lot of them aren't - ever hear of Brighthouse? That big TV that you can get off the internet for £800 they'll get for £39 a month for 5 years, meaning it costs triple overall. Maybe clamping down on these sort of companies is a way of alleviating poverty, and will keep people like sityeuropa happy as he won't have to see people less fortunate than himself watching TV on a bigger screen than he has.

To state the obvious, no I don't think it's a good choice to use benefits to pay £39 a month for a TV - that money could be better spent on healthy nutrition and clothes for your kids, but withdrawing benefits isn't going to achieve that. I've said it before and I'll say it again but when I was at school, the thick female kids were encouraged to do an O-Level in "Home Economics" i.e. how to cook, clean, rear children etc. This got stopped by the Conservative government in the '90s because of their jihad against single mothers, which they thought the subject encouraged. The result is what we have today, with estates full of troubled and troublesome families who have no clue about how to run a household. Education is the key to fixing this, it's the key to everything, but it doesn't come cheap.

10. El Pew

Wise Guy

I agree, raise the minimum wage and stop subsidising corporate profits with taxpayer salary top-ups.

Also get those bone-idle pensioners back to work.

11. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

The cheek would lie with the mainstream unionist parties who promised the earth to Scots to stay in the union. Now that Scots have seen through the lies and are (as current polls indicate) voting to send a large block of SNP MPs to Westminster it is causing panic.

Promised that we are better together until we decide to actually vote for those who would upset the apple cart and try to reinvigorate this staid system of government.

12. Bear

Capodecina

The bill for enacting the recommendations of the Smith commission is to be put before parliment after the general election and the recommendations put in place 100 days after the election. The Smith commission recommendations was drawn up with all party agreement which included the SNP. What part of that are the lies you see through?

13. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

Specifically, the crap the Jim Murphy is spouting which is the reason the Labour are doing so poorly in what was always traditional Labour safe seats. The Smith Commission was a hurried piece of work that I have no doubt will be further watered down by the time it comes before Westminster. There was also the promise that no motion by Westminster would be able to wind up the Scottish Parliament which has been voted down, by Labour.

14. Terminal_Boy

Sgarrista

When do the voters get a say?

15. Hagar

Sgarrista

In 37 days, all the voters can do though is vote for the government least likely to roll over for disproportionate nationalist demands.

16. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

Scotland, we love you but don't dare send MPs to Westminster that we don't like!!!!!!!!!!

17. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

These type of companies were common in my youth because people did not have much and the idea of owning a TV was a means of getting some entertainment. The people knew it cost more ...... why do the youth of today think everyone was stupid before them?
    This was in the time when according to our politicians we had it all. These types of shops largely disappeared when the ordinary person became wealthier and the computer age kicked in.

Again, a TV is a method of cheap entertainment. The alternative is kids go out on the street and some will vandalise etc. The way to prevent this is to increase the minimum wage to a living wage and stop this obscene £25Billion subsidy to industry through the taxpayer making up the difference.
    As far as education, the reason is solely due to every Education Secretary coming in with new 'initiatives', changing the curriculum. There is a finite time in the school week so if you are forced to add something then another subject gets reduced or removed. The last but one was .. not enough PE kids are getting fat .. so the timetable was changed. Now it is not enough foreign languages ... we are loosing out in business for lack of linguists. Continue ad nuaseam.

18. V F

Capodecina

So you heard what the Lords said then?

19. Quartz

Capodecina

55% of us voted to keep the Union. The trouble is, the Unionist vote is split several ways but the Nationalist vote is not.

20. Bear

Capodecina

Sort of, I skirted the report/paper they wrote briefly this lunch time whilst chatting to my colleague who voted Yes.