1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Election 2015

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Stretch, Jan 5, 2015.

1. V F

Capodecina

2. kitch9

Soldato

Nor should they.

3. El Capitano

Mobster

...except for the "grow the economy" way.

4. kitch9

Soldato

Uhm yes, grow the economy and cut spending as a percentage of GDP.

Funnily enough, that's what the current government was trying to do.

5. El Capitano

Mobster

But that's not deep cutting, not in any way that's generally referred to that way.
    Nope, they wanted to cut spending in absolute terms quite significantly, which they did, but then had to change course (not that they ever admitted it) when the economy stalled for two years.

6. mattyfez

Sgarrista

A business will buy based on perceived value and cost, just like a consumer, if the cost is too much, they won't buy.

There's nothing wrong with importing products/goods, I am an advocate of that when it's necessary, but not as a means to mask domestic issues if it means a bigger cost further down the line.

Your opening sentence is confusing though, are you talking about the republic of Ireland? Also HMRC has always had the power to claim tax from business, they just don't seem to be using it very well.

7. kitch9

Soldato

Yes I'm talking about the republic of Ireland where corporation tax is cheaper. The HMRC could claim tax provided it was legal, which is how the convoluted tax dodges used by Jimmy Carr and his ilk worked because they were technically legal and could be challenged by the tax payer in a court of law. The law has been changed in view of this and they are no longer feasible or worth the risk.

8. kitch9

Soldato

Austerity always has been a myth.

9. mattyfez

Sgarrista

There will always be dodges like this, many familiar companies are based in Gibraltar for similar reasons if you drill down into it.

There is a market in the UK, that much is obvious, so that market should be taxed appropriately at cooperation level if they want a slice of the juicy meat pie.

That will help domestic small scale start-ups who should get tax relive, and punish multinationals.

Of course there is a balance to be met, a global company moving in will create a finite number of jobs, and investment is welcome if it's in the countries interest. but it shouldn't be at the long term detriment to the government pot -i.e. the domestic tax payer.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  10. kitch9

Soldato

I'm not saying that they shouldn't but it's impossible to force when other countries won't. It's even harder when you consider it's illegal to discriminate and block free trade in the EU.

Any company can set up a head office anywhere it chooses and funnel the profits back to there.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  11. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

Well, apart from transfer pricing laws, no, there's nothing to stop you doing that...

12. mattyfez

Sgarrista

That's one (only one mind!) UKIP ethos I agree with, we need to stand back from Europe, and renegotiate our terms of engagement with the EU.
    I don't advocate leaving the union, but it's in disarray to be honest.

13. BRIGGBOY81

Wise Guy

Absolutely we do need to step back and have a look. Like you I do think we should stay in the eu but lets be able to make our own laws for our own country.

14. El Capitano

Mobster

That's also not true.

15. Bear

Capodecina

Theres some truth in that except in reality only 12% pay for any of it.

16. kitch9

Soldato

A couple of billion here and there in a rising trend is not austerity mate. They made benefits reforms too quickly I feel without having the systems in place to cope, especially where the ill and disabled are concerned, but saying that those on benefits who are fit and healthy shouldn't be shielded from economic fluctuations in a recession the same as everyone else.

It's all been a big con to keep the markets on our side which seems to have worked for now.

I work in house building, and the vibe I'm getting is that there's a boom coming which actually shouldn't be hard seeing as technically we already in one. Interest rates are cheap and entire new estates of £300000+ houses are selling now and fast here up North. Enquiries and quote requests for what I do is going through the roof all over the UK. Everyone I speak to on building sites says the same.

The economy is moving again, things are looking up. Natural competition should solve the zero hours issue through basic supply and demand as supply of labour falls below demand for it. The problem we have is we have lots of it at the moment that could turn up from anywhere in the EU so it's delaying this process somewhat.

Labour have 22000 zero hours contracts in place currently in their councils if anyone wants to be astounded by their hypocrisy and dim wittedness like me.

People seriously want these guys running the country?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  17. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

I've heard that sort of thing before. Can you give me an actual citation for it? I'd be curious to read more about it.

18. El Capitano

Mobster

It is far from a couple of billion here and there. Go look at how much the budgets outside of ring fences areas have been affected.

19. Bear

Capodecina

Its been bandied about that to be a net contributor in tax, you have to be earning just above the higher rate tax limit. I think its about £45k give or take which equates to about £11k in income tax and NI

If you look at the income distribution of the UK https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...1-to-99-for-total-income-before-and-after-tax you can see only about 12% earn that amount or above.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  20. kitch9

Soldato

And? We had a recession, there is less money to spend and no one had the foresight to save a few quid just in case. None critical departments and people take the hit.

Its how recessions are, unless you think turning on the money printers indefinitely is a sound economic judgement?