1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: General Election 2019 voting intention - Dec 1st - 7th

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Rilot, Dec 2, 2019.

?

Who will you vote for?

1. Brexit

5 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. Conservative

96 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. DUP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Green

2 vote(s)
    0.6%
  5. Labour

113 vote(s)
    34.7%
  6. Liberal Democrat

84 vote(s)
    25.8%
  7. Plaid Cymru

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  8. Sinn Fein

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  9. SNP

12 vote(s)
    3.7%
  10. TIG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. UKIP

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  12. Other party

4 vote(s)
    1.2%
  13. Independant

3 vote(s)
    0.9%
  14. Spoil ballott

4 vote(s)
    1.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Edwards

Mobster

You have to ask yourself. Did it appeal to racists yes or no?

2. GordyR

Soldato

So would you defend Jeremy Corbyn if he had made such a joke or not? This isn't rhetorical, it's a genuine question.

3. StriderX

Capodecina

You're trying to soften the problem. Racists don't care about context, they'll share the comment without it rather happily. Anything more is starting to turn it into an actual discussion with potential for arguments to be made against, much easier to memeify it into a one sentence bigoted comment to excite the immediate need to be angry at something, anything close to a discussion is derided as being talked down to and they wont have any of that.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  4. dowie

Caporegime

So what?

In what sense? It rather depends on the context.

It is amusing though that I post a video re: antisemitism in Labour and the usual suspects are straight in with the deflection to what about Boris and his comments... and now it has come full circle to some whataboutery re: what if Corbyn said something etc...

5. GordyR

Soldato

In exactly the same context as Johnson's article. Just imagine all things being equal with only the target and person doing it, differing.

6. dowie

Caporegime

Well that would be related to face covering and not being able to communicate etc.. and why should that make a difference whether Corbyn or Johnson said it?

Did you see the video I just posted?

7. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Only thats not the true picture. It is you that is doing the deflection. You are basicaly being one of those idiots in the video. You just cant see the irony in it.

8. BowdonUK

Mobster

It's not a stupid question. If you watched the video you will see there are people who will condemn those they don't like. But don't when it's someone they do like.

I condemn anyone of any party, or anyone of no party being anti-semitism or racist. It doesn't matter to me who is doing it unlike some people, as the video showed.

9. dowie

Caporegime

Nope, I posted a video, you deflected... if anyone is "one of those idiots" it is not me... in fact they basically are you.

I don't know how you can cause me of deflection when this convo started by me posting criticism of Labour supporters/Corbyn via a recent video...

10. Tony Edwards

Mobster

So you are against islamophobia and do not take part in threads that disparage muslims for being muslim then?

Ill be honest Ive not checked if you are one of the usual suspects in those types of threads.

For all I know you could very well be one of the small minority that does pull up people on veiled racism in those threads. Maybe someone else could answer that.

11. Tony Edwards

Mobster

Ive not deflected. I just said that Im glad that there are people in the Labour party that feel strongly enough to call out what they see as antisemitism or any other racism. Im not saying they are right though.

Did you want me to condem them or what? What was you hoping to achieve in po.. Oh I get it you wanted to draw out lefties to critisism. Like your dear leader Swinson that claims the Tories are islamophobic.

12. GordyR

Soldato

So you're of the opinion that Boris Johnson was concerned purely about communication when he compared them to letterboxes and bank robbers?

Forgive me, but surely had he merely expressed his concern about communication, then we wouldn't be having this discussion would we? The language he chose to use served a very specific purpose.

It's worth noting that "Tell Mama" said there was a near four-fold increase (375 per cent) in anti-Muslim incidents in the week following Johnson’s comments when compared with the week before.

What about his other more famous comments; when he referred to homosexuals as tank-topped bum-boys and Africans as Piccaninnies with watermelon smiles?

I truly don't understand why it is so difficult for people to acknowledge that this sort of thing is bad, regardless of which side it comes from.

Well I don't think it does at all, but I'm trying to find out if you view them in the same way as I do, or if you'll make excuses for one while condemning the other.

No I've not watched it.

I merely caught the tail end of a conversation and spotted something that I felt had the potential to be a huge double standard, and wanted to ask questions to see if that was actually the case or not.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  13. dowie

Caporegime

What is your opinion?

By constructing some hypothetical???

I don't see the difference tbh... why does it matter who made the comments. Ironically that was the point made in the video if you've bothered to watch instead of just perpetuating the whataboutery/deflection that then followed.

14. Tony Edwards

Mobster

There is and was no deflection. Dont get all moody because it didnt go as planned for you. Just like the clip you showed you have chosen sides.

15. dowie

Caporegime

What didn't go planned? You're projecting a bit here I think. You threw in some deflection then some one liners etc.. and now this.

16. Tony Edwards

Mobster

What was the deflection? You seem to be ignoring the fact that people can be biased while you are being biased yourself.

17. Tony Edwards

Mobster

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...08bacaf000ad5d#block-5de9421e8f08bacaf000ad5d
    I suppose this is where the saying if you cant say anything nice dont say anything at all comes from.

18. dowie

Caporegime

How am I being biased? As for what was the deflection - well the fact that you quoted the video about antisemitism and immediately diverted to "what about Boris"...

19. Tony Edwards

Mobster

[​IMG]

20. esoteric

Wise Guy

Not sure what I'll do now. I would have voted Brexit Party but after hearing Farage on Radio 2 today he's basically thrown in the towel and is backing Conservatives because Boris has said he's aiming for a Canada style trade deal, so to assure Brexit goes ahead he doesn't want to take seats away and cause a hung parliment or give the Lib Dems more power as they flat out want to cancel Brexit.

Labour is promising so much and a lot of it sounds great but I don't think they'll be able to deliver on much of it. I don't want the internet nationalized, and then there's also Corbyn wanting another referendum, something I'm against.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.