1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: General Election 2019 voting intention - Dec 1st - 7th

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Rilot, Dec 2, 2019.

?

Who will you vote for?

1. Brexit

5 vote(s)
    1.5%
  2. Conservative

96 vote(s)
    29.4%
  3. DUP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Green

2 vote(s)
    0.6%
  5. Labour

113 vote(s)
    34.7%
  6. Liberal Democrat

84 vote(s)
    25.8%
  7. Plaid Cymru

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  8. Sinn Fein

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  9. SNP

12 vote(s)
    3.7%
  10. TIG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. UKIP

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  12. Other party

4 vote(s)
    1.2%
  13. Independant

3 vote(s)
    0.9%
  14. Spoil ballott

4 vote(s)
    1.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loftie

Hitman

Pulled from wiki because I'm lazy, number in brackets is the UK number from the 2011 census

number of jews globally 14.5million (270k)
    number of hindus globally 1.15 billion (835k)
    number of buddhists globally 521 million (262k)

and just for **** and giggles

number of christians globally 2.4 billion (37.584m)
    number of muslims globally 1.9 billion (2.787m)
    number of sikhs globally 30 million (432k)

Firstly, why should judaism be mention when hinduism is not? By numbers, it dwarfs it globally and has over 3 times it's number in the uk.
    Secondly, buddhism isn't mentioned, it dwarfs judaism globally and has slightly less numbers in the UK.
    Thirdly, I didn't realise Judaism had so few numbers globally, I'm not sure why it should classify as a major religion to be honest.

As for needing protection or help, i go back to what about people with mental health issues? According to Mind 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health problem each year. I still think it's clutching at straws and attempting to spin this as discrimination is daft.

2. garnett

Soldato

I wasn't posting in a vacuum to "score political points" - I was posting figures and articles that disproved Quartz unevidenced assertion that "the Conservatives have been so great at making poor people better off in the last 9 years".

In terms of actions to solve the problem - I've not studied the options.

I take it that, despite what you've posted, you're not disputing that it's a problem any Govt needs to take some responsibility for, and to have in place plans to improve the situation, and accountability for their success or failure.

3. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

No one is suggesting you should pander to anyone. The point being made is that it's a reasonable decision to vote Labour if someone is directly affected and feel they are due compensation. Whether or not there was discrimination is a different thread to the conversation. As for white privilege, what on earth has that got to do with anything other than trying to deflect from the subject bring discussed?

4. Sankari

Capodecina

It speaks volumes about the weakness and unpopularity of Labour under Corbyn that they're getting crushed by the most dysfunctional Tory government in living memory.

5. robgmun

Capodecina

Oh...oh dear :o

6. Sankari

Capodecina

Several reasons:

* it's the world's oldest monotheistic religion
    * it's the oldest of the three Abrahamic faiths (the other two are literally based on it)
    * it's one of the world's most influential religions

7. amigafan2003

Capodecina

Yes, I wonder why there aren't so many.

Maybe they've had a calamity in the recent past that affected their numbers, I don't know.

8. Quartz

Capodecina

May got 43% in the 2017 election.

9. Usher

Mobster

I'm guessing free internet, 1 billion trees planted, public ownership of utilities, 1 million new jobs etc have clearly swayed some of you here to vote Labour ?

I'm guessing you are young and have no recollection of previous Labour fiasco's . How do you imagine all this will be paid for? a massive rise in borrowing? council tax? income tax?

Did you know that last time they handed out thousands free laptops to 'poor families' who probably went straight down the pub & sold them?

Free internet with high speed broadband for everyone ?? don't make me laugh, last time they wanted to add an extra charge to everyone's monthly B/band bill to pay for those without it. Cameron scrapped it in his 1st week.

Buying back ownership of our utilities, much of which is owned by our EU friends in France Germany etc. I'm sure they will gladly oblige, once again where does the money come from? and the all the staff transferred to a government salary ?

Council tax actually doubled under the last Labour government resulting in Cameron slapping a freeze as his 1st priority.

So can we now expect it to double or even triple if Labour get in?

10. Sankari

Capodecina

...and still won. 44% is more than enough for Johnson.

In all fairness, we've had almost 10 years of Tory fiascos, and they've achieved sod all done in that time except (a) strangle the NHS, (b) give free money to rich people, (c) continue meddling in Middle East wars, (d) preside over near-Dickensian levels of poverty and economic disparity, and (e) **** up Brexit.

Remember 2015, when the Tories promised to build 200,000 new starter homes, and Tory voters didn't even bother to ask where the money was coming from? None of those houses have been built. Not a single one.

11. chroniclard

Capodecina

Sounds good.

12. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Think she was short of a majority by 4? And bunged the DUP £1 billion to prop her up.

13. FoxEye

Capodecina

Still LibDem as the best of a bad bunch.

Did think about voting Green.

14. Sankari

Capodecina

I've just checked the figures. Tories actually scored 41% under May. Corbyn's Labour was 31.6%.

So with Johnson now sitting on 44%, and Corbyn on 34%, it should be an easy walk to No. 10.

15. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

Who cares how it's paid for, that's the government's problem to solve.

Seriously, that's the best you can do? :p

16. JRS

Capodecina

FullFact - did Labour double council tax?

17. Sankari

Capodecina

18. krooton

Caporegime

So many Daily Mail headlines, so little time :D

19. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Capodecina

The problem with council tax is the majority of those who pay it use the least of the services

Plus that of course the national government dont set it, the local authorities do

But lets not let that get in the way of a good uninformed rant ;)

20. Roar87

Soldato

Nah, Corbyn is going to pay for it by taking £9 from everyone who earns £80k+, Diane Abbott has done the maths so it's pretty solid

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.