1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: General Election 2019 voting intention - Nov 15th - 30th

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Rilot, Nov 15, 2019.

?

Who will you vote for?

1. Brexit

15 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Conservative

148 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. DUP

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  4. Green

3 vote(s)
    0.6%
  5. Labour

137 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Liberal Democrats

161 vote(s)
    31.3%
  7. Plaid Cymru

3 vote(s)
    0.6%
  8. Sinn Fein

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  9. SNP

20 vote(s)
    3.9%
  10. TIG

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  11. UKIP

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  12. Other party

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  13. Independant

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  14. Spoil ballot

14 vote(s)
    2.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azza

Caporegime

Boris actually sent his Dad and his mate to try and take his place.

Could you imagine the headlines if Corbyn sent his Dad to a debate.

2. Journey

Sgarrista

3. robgmun

Capodecina

I have to be honest, I don't really give a monkies about climate change. The whole cult that has sprung up this year is only there to autofellatio themselves and politicians have been a total embarrassment falling over themselves to cynically virtue signal when in reality anything we do in the UK is like flicking a pea into the ocean and companies screwing over the general public in any way possible for profit and claim it's in the name of "Climate change"

If we don't get China, India and the rest of the Asian sub-continent and the USA on board then we're screwed whatever we do in the UK, we can all live in mud hunts and eat seeds and berries and it won't make a jot of difference.

I think Channel 4 "debate" is a farce and I'm glad Boris didn't debase himself by showing up.

4. Rroff

Man of Honour

On the other hand if we get the ball rolling then it might start to gain traction elsewhere.

That said if the climate issues are as bad as some are making out then it is far too late to start getting the ball rolling.

5. FishFluff

Soldato

A large amount of Chinese pollution comes from the manufacturing done there to satisfy Western consumer demand. China have invested a lot in renewables recently as well. If consumers can stop buying mass produced crap then change is most definitely possible.

6. JeditOjanen

Soldato

Boris is quite happy to go along with the more extreme members of his party.

7. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Just going in to Smyth's toys is horrible. Huge isles filled with plastic crap.

What happens to all these toys eventually? Landfill?

8. garnett

Soldato

As Brexiteers were misled into asking in 2016, why are you doing the UK down?

9. Scania

Capodecina

Yup, and that's just the stuff you don't expect to be recyclable.

One of my regular loads is Aberdare ( Mid Wales ) to Wigan, carrying 28 tons of cardboard for recycling, from Wigan it often then goes back down to the South East to eventually be processed but is then sent back from the S.E. to Wigan to actually be finally processed.....

I reckon it would actually be more environmentally friendly to just stick it in the ground in Aberdare in the first place!

10. danlightbulb

Mobster

Just watching QT. are people so dumb they really dont understand the basis of the 50k nurses claim?

11. Quartz

Capodecina

Not dumb; mainly ignorant. People spend all day at work, plus perhaps an hour or more commuting each way. And there are children to feed and perhaps a second job and... Many people just don't have a lot of time to do the research.

12. XeNoN89

Sgarrista

Had my first knock on the door earlier this evening. It was the lib Dems. Kindly told them I would not be voting for them and would be voting conservatives. He asked if I was concerned about their shift to the right so I said I was more concerned that the lib Dems want to go against the majority and revoke article 50. He just said ok and then left me to it.

Seemed like it might have been something he has been hearing a lot.

13. Sheff

Wise Guy

I blame Fiona Bruce and the likes of Piers Morgan for being deliberately misleading; question how realistic the retention figures are, but surely you'd hope journalists and presenters could understand the concept of attrition rates and retiring & returning to work. They are just as to blame for the lack of trust in politicians with populist questioning and then failing to hold politicians to account on actual issues.

14. Sheff

Wise Guy

double post

15. Quartz

Capodecina

Agreed.

16. GordyR

Soldato

I apologise if this comes across as more short than my usual tone but honestly dowie, are you for real? In my very second post I literally explained to you the textbook definition.

This conversation has made it appear as though your grasp of this topic is kindergarten level at best, which I don't actually believe; either that or you're purposefully attempting to keep the conversation from returning to the actual argument that's been made; as you so often do.

I don't want to be impolite but I'm not sure what else there is to say.

If you're genuine in this line of argument, then it's obvious from this exchange that you don't understand what quantitative easing is, you don't understand it's impacts, you don't understand it's relationship to interest rates and wealth inequality, nor it's cost to an economy as a whole.

Your position now has become so absurd that I genuinely don't know how to respond. I just don't know how to argue against it any longer.

I'm utterly speechless at how far you're prepared to take this, but then I suppose this is indicative of the whole Brexit problem in general. This is what these these snake oil salesmen have done to you. They've literally got you arguing that black is white and that white is black.

You're mentally justifying one cost, while simultaneously criticising another far smaller cost based purely on your chosen side; and your realisation after having that pointed out to you is causing you to perform some extreme mental gymnastics in order to justify it to yourself.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  17. dowie

Caporegime

@GordyR sorry but I think it’s the other way around, you’ve made a flawed comparison, it seems apparent you didn’t understand what you were talking about.

How on earth are the two comparable - you started off believing both involved selling bonds, they don’t! You then googled for something to paste in to make it seem like you knew what you were taking about and a few of the mindless posters decided to throw in comments and that’s about it.

You’re literally comparing different things.

18. Nitefly

Man of Honour

So how's that going for you?? :p

19. FoxEye

Capodecina

Let's face it it wouldn't matter how Labour raised the money, nor how the Tories raised the money.

You were always going to criticise Labour's spending plans, and you were always going to justify the spend on Brexit related expenses. It won't matter if the money is raised the same way, or with the same end result.

A lot of us have got you worked out, is all. You'll no doubt reply with all the bluster and bombast of your hero Boris.

20. GordyR

Soldato

I don't know what to say. I know that Trumpian politics and the telling of gargantuan lies are all the fashion at the moment, but it doesn't matter how frequently you say something, it will never change reality.

You're indulging in a huge mental double standard that due to your obvious bias, you're refusing to acknowledge.

You're still to this very moment completely hand waving away £250 billion worth of QE that was needlessly undertaken as a direct result of a policy that you support, while simultaneously crying about a significantly cheaper policy that rightly or wrongly, a party that you dislike have proposed to finance in an extremely similar fashion.

You're overwhelmingly partisan, your judgement is clouded, you're not evidence led at all and you clearly view everything through a grossly tribal lens.

You've attempted to distract from that obvious fact through obfuscation and by focusing on minor semantic differences. I don't believe people here will buy it.

I'm not even arguing for Labour's manifesto; I'm sceptical at best, and aside from the Broadband policy which I now (after a lot of thought) support, there is much that I would argue against. I'm merely highlighting the shocking hypocrisy of your two entirely contradictory positions when it comes to government expenditure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.