1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: General Election 2019 voting intention - Nov 15th - 30th

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Rilot, Nov 15, 2019.

?

Who will you vote for?

1. Brexit

15 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Conservative

148 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. DUP

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  4. Green

3 vote(s)
    0.6%
  5. Labour

137 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Liberal Democrats

161 vote(s)
    31.3%
  7. Plaid Cymru

3 vote(s)
    0.6%
  8. Sinn Fein

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  9. SNP

20 vote(s)
    3.9%
  10. TIG

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  11. UKIP

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  12. Other party

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  13. Independant

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  14. Spoil ballot

14 vote(s)
    2.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolph

Man of Honour

Hence why I said both sides were being dishonest.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-over-early-release-of-london-bridge-attacker

Cooper was dishonest claiming this was a prisoner on an ipp, when it wasn't, the ipp was overturned by the courts and replaced with a fixed term sentence, which at that point changed the rules that applied to release.

It's also important to note that ipps were found to be problematic with regards to human rights laws in 2007, but Labour failed to address this concern.

Now it is true the Tories could have changed the law, and in fact they did, but its also true that changes retrospectively are also problematic under human rights legislation (again, this was clearly established under labour, http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/2345049.stm)

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.u...pes-of-sentence/determinate-prison-sentences/

So this combination of events is the problem. The Tories could have acted earlier and changed the law prior to this individuals offense, and did not. But its also true that the tories could not change that retrospectively.

I think the key problem here is the quashing of the ipp sentence by the courts, which isn't the fault of either party. Hindsight being 20/20, it is clear that original sentence was the correct one.

2. Murphy

Mobster

That's a weak semantic argument, he said if it was possible (Able to be done or achieved.), if there's a difference between that and ideal (Satisfying one's conception of what is perfect; most suitable.) then prehaps you like to point out what the practical difference is.

3. Uther

Capodecina

Politically the attack could well be an absolute disaster for Johnson, as it highlights police cuts, lack of money for rehabilitation, terrorists let out of prison under a Tory government...
    The Cons are desperately trying to make it all Labours fault, but I'm not sure that is going to fly with a lot of the public, who might want brexit, but certainly don't want terrorists running around slaughtering people in the streets.
    Polls over the next few days could be interesting.

4. robfosters

Caporegime

And which parties are those?

5. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

I doubt it as Neil does not let them waffle as much before interrupting.

6. viathinair

Wise Guy

If they can parachute politicians, can I parachute my vote to a different constituency? Preferably a non-stupidly-strong Tory seat where my LD or Labour vote wouldn't feel like a waste of time..

Please, those Nazi sympathies were just thoughts/feelings, right? Whereas any action is totally different... (Anyone with a weak stomach I suggest read no further.) Nobody has been able to verify this, and most people adamantly refuse to believe it, but...I've heard a story (and it's just an unproven story) that one day, in the company of his American wife, Edward once...allegedly...wrote 'colour' without the 'u'....

7. robfosters

Caporegime

Marr is bloody awful. He asks a question and allows about two seconds before interrupting.

Loves the sound of his own voice.

8. Sankari

Capodecina

Tories, Labour, BXP, UKIP.

UKIP is polling so low, they don't even appear on the charts.

:D

9. robfosters

Caporegime

Labour do not want to deliver brexit. They will negotiate some kind of deal and then put it to a second referendum, where imo, the majority of them will campaign against it.

10. Sankari

Capodecina

If they don't want to deliver Breit, why would they negotiate a Brexit deal?

Why would the majority of Labour campaign against their own Brexit deal? You're not making any sense.

11. Uther

Capodecina

Well unfortunately Johnson is far to chicken to face Neil as he knows he would be ripped to pieces so Marr is seen as a safer bet.He's still not doing well is he...

12. StriderX

Capodecina

Even ignoring the nuance, Labour is still offering a path to Brexit, even if it is ********.

13. Uther

Capodecina

Just looked at the latest polls, Johnson's in trouble. We could easily be looking at another hung parliament.

14. StriderX

Capodecina

I wonder if Lib Dem numbers in the Lab-Con seats will fall and the Labour numbers in the Con-Lib seats also do so, that will be the important thing to watch for. Honestly would be happy if Rabb and Swinson are unseated, it would be mega lols if Johnson is ousted aswell.

15. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Marr is not as good as Neil because he allows them to ramble on too much. If we allow just a party political broadcast it has to come with a warning before and after. Marr did not interrupt enough. They should have a switch that silences politicians when waffling.

16. dowie

Caporegime

To put it to a referendum.... he already pointed that out. I mean if they're going to have a referendum and leave were to win again then they want their deal not the "Boris deal".

Because the majority of them don't want Brexit - how is that not making sense?

You can say that Labour's policy doesn't make sense if you like but the other poster is literally telling you their position and you're claiming he isn't making sense???

You cited Labour as one of the parties that "want to deliver Brexit" - that doesn't seem to be the case at all - they previously took a pro leave stance but currently are taking a pro-second referendum stance with their renegotiated deal being the leave option, their leader is now taking an official fence sitting stance and most of the members and MPs are pro remain. Though crucially the leave supporting MPs do represent a significant enough minority that they've ended up in their current situation. not to mention that plenty of the voters they'd want in various areas are very much pro leave.

17. Sankari

Capodecina

But robfosters said the majority of Labour would campaign against Brexit. Why would they do that after negotiating a Brexit deal?

Evidence please.

Yeah, they're so deeply opposed to Brexit that their party platform literally includes an official policy to negotiate a Brexit deal. :rolleyes:

Evidence please. The referendum result was not split along party lines.

18. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

He means campaign against it In a remain vs labour new deal referendum, it's not hard to understand at all.

19. Sankari

Capodecina

So let me get this straight. Labour's policy is to negotiate a Brexit deal with the EU (and we've already seen how arduous a task that is) then hold a referendum during which they will actively campaign against their own deal in favour of Remain.

Is that what I'm being asked to believe?

20. MissChief

Capodecina

The politicians and their advisors drill them and tell them the more you talk the less the interviewer can. Waffling and running on is a known tactic to reduce questioning. Politicians are very good at it and the interviewers know this so they have to keep interrupting otherwise they’d never be able to ask any questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.