1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: General Election 2019 voting intention - Nov 15th - 30th

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Rilot, Nov 15, 2019.

?

Who will you vote for?

1. Brexit

15 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Conservative

148 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. DUP

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  4. Green

3 vote(s)
    0.6%
  5. Labour

137 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Liberal Democrats

161 vote(s)
    31.3%
  7. Plaid Cymru

3 vote(s)
    0.6%
  8. Sinn Fein

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  9. SNP

20 vote(s)
    3.9%
  10. TIG

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  11. UKIP

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  12. Other party

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  13. Independant

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  14. Spoil ballot

14 vote(s)
    2.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

The real choice now seems to be heading to a Conservative Majority or a Labour minority government diluted by the SNP, Lib Dems etc. in some form. How this plays out in actual seats remains to be seen.

2. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

If you remove the exaggeration far too many of those claims are reasonable enough. Its when people deny the actual real life problems exist the problems start and they are then easily manipulated.

3. Dolph

Man of Honour

The Tory party are certainly being very dishonest in this election campaign, but so are Labour.

Failure to address that suggests the problem isn't the lack of truth, but the people responsible, that you have an issue with.

4. BowdonUK

Mobster

I think right leaning people have a tendency to hear the other persons view.

Waits for the replies ;)

5. PlacidCasual

Soldato

Evan Dando once referred to the Labour Party as we when interviewing for the BBC. Generally I think the BBC has a liberal bias as in the beliefs of their members. But does a pretty good job of being party political neutral.

6. efish

Wise Guy

Two thirds of users of food-banks in the last 12 month period have experienced issues with the benefit system. The average income of users after rent is deducted is £50 a week.

Very clear and direct link to the benefits system and the problematic introduction of universal credit.

They are in the news because of the massive rise in this sector post- government austerity. Yes they have always existed but were very few in number. Been a staggering rise, Trussel trust has seen a rise of 75% over the last five years with this year the busiest ever.

The thing all users of food-banks share is an extremely low income (surprise surprise).

Poverty and destitution have seen a dramatic increase and continue to grow at a very fast pace. The most significant non-economic factor among food-bank users is ill-health and a very significant proportion of food-bank users are children living in households with extermly low disposable income after rent and bills are deducted from income.

7. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

I enjoyed the debate tonight more than any other, and I think that might have been down to the fact that Johnson & Corbyn were both absent.

Judging by the look of Nicola Sturgeon at the end, I think ITV where trying too hard on the climate change front by turning the heating down too low.

8. Bald-Eagle22

Wise Guy

Still the cast of looney tunes winning the poll , are you lot bonkers !

9. ltron

Wise Guy

It feels like we're the only ones who are not, sometimes.

10. Rroff

Man of Honour

I don't think many are voting LD because they want Lib Dems... just fed up with the other two.

11. Quartz

Capodecina

I was well impressed with the local LD candidate at today's hustings - see upthread.

12. chroniclard

Capodecina

Who is we....:p

13. robgmun

Capodecina

The big difference this time was that the Tories were losing ground because of May's terrible campaign. But this time the Tories are still holding at 42% and haven't lost an inch all election. Labour will have to get to mid to high 30's before they can hang a parliament. But they have so much stack against them right now and terrorist attack always makes Labour look weak on security and Corbyn didn't help matters today.

The tories will win a majority I'm certain of it. But the question is how much? Will it be wafer-thin like in 2015 and 2017 and a few rebel MP's upset the balance? Or will it be a substantial one and push things forward.

14. Rroff

Man of Honour

I think Labour have badly misread the situation personally - from the people I've talked to largely the country isn't in the mood for yet more radical change or more uncertainty, etc. - most people want to see Brexit finalised one way or another and a general stabilisation not upheaval. With a bit more investment in social issues, loosening of austerity measures, along the way.

Sadly at this point a lot of people seem to be clinging to the Tories as a "known quantity" especially now the threat of Brexit isn't looming as large as it was - which I think is precisely what Boris wanted.

15. Murphy

Mobster

To suggest it's only the political parties being dishonest is...well to be frank it's dishonest and i mean that in the politest of ways.

If we wanted to point the finger of blame then I'd suggest we start with the newspapers and their owner/editors, IMO they're the ones who started, and continue, to dumb things down to such a level that it ends up distorting the facts and basically tell outright lies, only to retract them weeks or months later buried on page 24 in tiny print.

But i guess that's what you get when you have a 'free' press owned by a few millionaires.
    The BBC put out a bit to much content to say it's one way or the other, you'd need to be a bit more specific, in terms of current affairs, news, politics research shows they're Eurosceptic, pro business, and favor the Conservatives. When it comes to satirical, comedy, type shows i dare say we'd find the opposite, it seems harder to be at right-wing comic.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  16. StriderX

Capodecina

The people responsible for this mess are the electorate... and regardless of the result this election (except no winners), we're saying that the process via which this election was fault, is acceptable and the continued downfall in calibre of the MP candidates is also acceptable.

Whats more likely, the electorate suddenly realising they're the problem or we keep going in this direction? I'd say... buckle in, because the insanity isn't ending any time soon, unless of course the Tory party surprise us with a turnabout on their MO.

People need to stop being naive and thinking it'll be alright, it'll somehow sort itself out... this is the same attitude people had in Germany a century prior, we have a PM threatening the press and the judiciary who don't instantly kiss the Tory party's bottom, we have an opposing field bickering among themselves about minutia that doesn't really matter, increasing violent rhetoric and actions (though to be fair it was worse a century ago from the outset), huge constitutional divisions in the country, increasing prominence of the big bad in the East, worsening economic suffering for the working and importantly middle class... I could probably go on and on about the similarities, but it's pointless because someone will waste time moaning about godwin (like they're ever so intelligent to notice it) when it's entirely relevant.

The fact that some of the richest people have started to realise the danger they're in and not everyone else, is amusing at best. When you constantly fail to deliver on promises... it's not a surprise when the average person takes it upon themselves to do so, the next 5 years is imperative to the stability of this country, it will be illuminating at least.

I should add that I also feel that I can't trust Labour not to fall down the same hole from a different direction, but they're unlikely to win so it's a tad irrelevant.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  17. Mercenary Keyboard Warrior

Capodecina

Hancock is my MP, few seem to like him

And yet when you look at how West suffolk votes he gets loads of votes

Hell the state of some in the area, 2015 tories won and UKIP were second!

Luckily UKIP here suffered the great cull of 2017 and lost 78% of their voters, but a high amount moved to the tories clearly

18. PlacidCasual

Soldato

@Murphy On the basis of the article you linked to I'm not sure I would draw the conclusion that the BBC is Eurosceptic or Pro-Business but I did find the stats on the relative presence of the Conservative and Labour parties interesting and wonder what drove that.
    I do think it's a fair challenge that my perception of BBC liberal bias is probably more driven by it's entertainment and factual output rather than its news output. Although it strikes me that even in it's news/politics output you find very few contrarian opinions apart from a limited number of pantomime villains.

19. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Watching Johnson yesterday on Marr and it was like he was trying to distance himself from the Tory Party of the past decade. That was then..... but now.

20. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

Let's be honest, if they didn't have "let's get Brexit done" then what would they have? I suppose ultimately the answer is we wouldn't have an election. What people seem to overlook is that the referendum was a Tory policy and it's the Tory party in government that have failed to deliver it over the past 3 years. Blaming the parliamentary process is about as valid as blaming Labour for the legal system that the Tories have had a decade to change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.