1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: General Election 2019 voting intention - Nov 15th - 30th

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Rilot, Nov 15, 2019.

?

Who will you vote for?

1. Brexit

15 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Conservative

148 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. DUP

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  4. Green

3 vote(s)
    0.6%
  5. Labour

137 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Liberal Democrats

161 vote(s)
    31.3%
  7. Plaid Cymru

3 vote(s)
    0.6%
  8. Sinn Fein

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  9. SNP

20 vote(s)
    3.9%
  10. TIG

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  11. UKIP

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  12. Other party

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  13. Independant

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  14. Spoil ballot

14 vote(s)
    2.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uvarvu

Mobster

Still learning towards LibDem here.

2. danlightbulb

Mobster

Absolutely, but this convo started with the 86% being seen in 4 hours figure. To really understand whether this is a problem, we need to know what conditions the other 14% had dont we. Maybe they werent very serious.

Anyway, switched my vote to Labour for the free broadband.

3. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

Just get internet polling done!

I suspect your dentist will agree with you. :D

4. UTmaniac

Soldato

No change here, Royston is there for the taking after his miracle 31 vote win over Labour (Letts) in 2017, Lib Dem suffered here after the coalition and they may well do better this time... But I'm sticking with Letts in this very marginal seat.

5. Murphy

Mobster

If you can give me a credible alternative I'm all ears, Labour and Cons get votes in the 20k's in my constituency, LD's get 1k, the Conservatives won it in 2015 by only 65 votes, Labour won it in 2017 by 5k so please tell me how a liberal remainer like me should vote. :)

I would vote LD if i knew there was no chance of what's become a hard-right Conservative MP winning the seat, i even choose the LD in the first poll, but since then I've come to realise I've got to vote for the least worse option. :(

6. chroniclard

Capodecina

Candidates finalised in my area, Tory, Green, Labour, Lib Dem, some random independent and LOLKIP.

Tory got 60% of the vote last time around, Labour 28% and Lib dem 8%.

Complete waste of time, still voting Lib dem. (We voted remain by 0.76%)

7. Azza

Caporegime

Probably Labour, but the LibDem candidiate is an absolutely outstanding human.

8. garnett

Soldato

Funny to compare and contrast...

Boris, getting castigated by one of many flood victims in Yorkshire...

The EU, continuing their support...
    Remind me. Who are the bogeymen?

9. GordyR

Soldato

I’m in exactly the same boat as yourself. I’m voting for the Lib Dems in these polls because they are who I would like to vote for, but I will almost certainly be voting for Labour in the actual election as they are best positioned to challenge my Conservative MP - Mark Francois. Sadly at the last general election the Lib Dem’s got only 1600 votes here.

10. Things change I've changed

Capodecina

Boris's interview with Naga Manchetty was a little cringe worthy, how people can vote for this guy seriously, nothing really coherent comes out of his mouth, being asked how he relates to ordinary people he replies "this the most difficult psychological question anyone has ever asked me" really?

11. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

Look into the local candidate. I'm voting Lib Dem based on their likelihood of beating the Tories out of the seat and on their Brexit stance. However I softened the unpleasantness of being forced into a strategic voting position by assuring myself that the local LD candidate would be my kind of MP. I like him, I feel a lot better about my position.

At the end of the day you're voting for a local candidate, they're the person who will be going out to bat for you for the next 5 years, the most important thing really is whether you believe they will represent you in the way you want to be represented. Look at the reaction of Leave constituencies who voted in remain MPs, they voted for a party and ignored the candidate without understanding how our political system functions, they're now salty that they're not represented, despite the fact that they voted in an MP who was vocal about not representing their views.

12. Irish_Tom

Capodecina

Just to add my anecdotal evidence to this discussion from the previous thread — I think you rarely hear about it when it does work.

In the early 2000s, Ofsted started outsourcing inspections to the private sector. The country was split into three or four catchment areas (I forget exactly how many) and they were awarded to different companies to avoid conflict of interest/competition regulations.

For the first contract period, everything went very well (in part because many of the existing Ofsted inspectors transferred over to the private companies).

The problems arose when the contracts were up for renewal. The incumbent companies were undercut by the likes of Serco, who didn't have the infrastructure, experience or expertise to actually deliver what was promised (never mind for a cut-rate cost). It was a complete failure on the part of procurement who were warned that Serco wouldn't be able to deliver.

Funnily enough, after the second round of contracts ended, Ofsted brought inspections back in-house. The headlines all made out like it was another example of a failing public/private partnership, but completely ignored the fact that the original contracts were extremely successful.

13. Murphy

Mobster

Define legal? I'm not being factious it's just not only am i unsure if there's even an applicable law that could be applied but it would probably be nigh on impossible to prove, Farage party 'candidate' and Farage himself said it's happened, the Conservatives and the PM said it's not, who to believe?

14. Murphy

Mobster

Why do we need to know their condition, shouldn't the principal of all people being treated in a reasonable time be applied equally?

BTW I don't disagree with what you said earlier about people going to A&E when they don't need to, it's one of the things i find exacerbating when seeing some of the things people go to A&E for on TV programs, however if we're going to say everyone should be treated in X time then that should apply equally no matter what, if people are going to A&E simply because they got an ouch'y though we should be educating people about what A&E is and isn't for, investing in more GP's, mental health works, social care, etc, etc, so A&E isn't used as a spillover.

15. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

If people are being offered incentives by a political party not to contest an election against them, and there is no legislation in place to prevent that, then I'm happy to spoil my ballot.

Also, the question of who to believe is present in practically every crime, it's no reason not to investigate.

16. NickK

Capodecina

This election has demonstrated a number of things to me;

* outgoing labour chancellor left a desk mocking the incoming individual that there was no money left and that their government had been set up to fail. So even if that was meant as a joke - wtf it’s a serious misjudgement in the shadow they cast, screwing over the electorate for political gain, I will never vote for labour again (I have in the past)
    The current labour leadership is similarly unfit to lead and I don’t share their ideology.

* I used to believe in the conservatives, in that although they were a little old fashioned that they had the best focus on trade, industry and the individual to propel the nation forward.
    Over the last 15 years that has been chipped away, and with Last Tory government and Brexit - this has completely destroyed my faith at a foundation - from the individual, to the country and to trade & industry. It’s not the option they offer - it’s the individuals (BoJo, JRM et al) and the attitude in the shadow they cast. All they want is money for them - let the individual, the trade and the nation burn. Reckless abandonment, untruths and sheer disrespect for the individual Briton. Never again shall I vote conservative (I have before).
    They need to offer the ex-Scottish con leader the role of party chairwoman or preferably PM but the current obsession Victorian-era values and mindsets does not have the coolness of SteamPunk.

The Brexit party, a shadow of UKIP, the desire to publicise Xenophobic dross and let the world burn. Yes it’s ok to have your opinion but how that is manifested should be compatible with U.K. society.

Lib Dem have always been a bit too wishywashy but they have clear stances on policies and for the most part their politicians answer question straight.

Greens - I agree the environment is important, but if Brexit goes through we’re likely to destroy the environment faster in the rush to turn back the industrial clock.

Our constituency (Guildford) CON MP has declared herself as an independent. I suspect that a number of con mps are doing that to fragment the remain vote further.
    Guildford switched from CON to LD and the referendum result was remain.

There is a high probablity that I will vote Lib Dem for the reasons above.

I don’t feel that the EU is offering a good deal, however there rather than leave and suffer - we build up force within the EU.

17. SPG

Soldato

Greens will never win simply down to their utterly stupid stance on private transport, wasted vote same as lib dems but its your vote :)

18. Freakbro

Capodecina

Well, as evidenced by Tory/Brexit voters ITT there's not much coherent going on in their brains, so I guess he resonates well with them :p

19. Secret_Window

Mobster

The far left policies are going to hurt Labour this election more than in 2017. The amount of stuff they are spending on now really has gone too far to be credible anymore. They are just playing into the hands of the Tories by doing this. Crazy.

20. BowdonUK

Mobster

In my area the parties are;

Labour currently hold the seat. But there is a lot of backlash towards them. I don't have a Times subscription but this article seems to present the situation;

Robert Crampton’s election road trip: Labour finds hostility in its heartland
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ur-finds-hostility-in-its-heartland-3gsmwlp6d

So the Brexit vote is split 2 ways, and the Remian vote is split 3 ways. It is possible Labour could lose as it was only back in the 2011 election that the Lib Dems were consistantly challenging them.

On a different subject, Labour's recent free broadband for all pledge. If there is one example of a party saying something without any realisation of the reality its that. Who wants to go through 1 government ISP to access the Internet? No competition. No real targets to hit. It would also be a money black hole as if its free its not making any money back, and it would have to keep paying money for repairs and fault finding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.