1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: General Election 2019 voting intention - Nov 15th - 30th

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Rilot, Nov 15, 2019.

?

Who will you vote for?

1. Brexit

15 vote(s)
    2.9%
  2. Conservative

148 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. DUP

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  4. Green

3 vote(s)
    0.6%
  5. Labour

137 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Liberal Democrats

161 vote(s)
    31.3%
  7. Plaid Cymru

3 vote(s)
    0.6%
  8. Sinn Fein

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  9. SNP

20 vote(s)
    3.9%
  10. TIG

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  11. UKIP

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  12. Other party

5 vote(s)
    1.0%
  13. Independant

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  14. Spoil ballot

14 vote(s)
    2.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPG

Soldato

The world rightly or wrongly has shifted to being online aside from a generation 99% of people <50 will be using the internet for one thing or another. To get along you will need access to pretty much like you need Water.

Its a good policy and could be funded from a digital tax on companies who have HQ outside of the UK who pay sod all tax....

2. UTmaniac

Soldato

How the heck can Boris have been "running the country" for more than several months and not be able to answer a simple question about how he relates to "average Joe/Jane" of the country?

At least he was challenged a little and not able to divert full blooded into his Brexit soundbites... Although he had a good try before getting in a flap when interrupted.

3. DarkHorizon472

Mobster

Similar claims and excuses were made about the NHS, welfare state, workers rights, votes for women and a long line of now accepted institutions before they came into being. The key point is what and how ?

4. doodah

Capodecina

Jesus watching that relatable question was like watching Abbott work out pie to the 1,000th degree whilst juggling.

5. Murphy

Mobster

To be fair though, and I'm no Boris lover, wasn't it a bit of a loaded question? If someone asked me that i wouldn't know how to answer.

6. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

Very true, but even a basic human need like water isn't free. Offering free broadband is a bizarre election pledge, regardless of whether it is financially viable or not. It's a sorry state of affairs where prescriptions for life saving medicines can't be free of charge, yet surfing the net can.

Labour have lost the plot.

7. GordyR

Soldato

8. FortuitousFluke

Mobster

It's bread and butter politics though, you will never be asked that question, but if you know it's coming it's easy to prep for, and if you know you're completely unrelatable you should probably prep for it.

Yadda yadda yadda, different backgrounds, blah blah we all share core ideals and morals, I care passionately about family, blah blah, I sit around on Sunday watching the eastenders omnibus just like you guys, blah blah, the important thing is that I care deeply about this Country and her people and I want to make sure everyone gets great opportunities, blah blah, I support Aston villa, blah blah, I may seem different but believe me we all look the same elbow deep in dishwater wearing a pair of marigolds.

Take your pick.

I worry about his advisors that they've not picked up on this issues.

9. Irish_Tom

Capodecina

Well he can’t use the ‘caring about family’ line and I think he’s more of a rugger lad than a footy fan… but I agree with your point. ;)

10. ltron

Wise Guy

I thought Labour were offering to bring in free prescriptions in England too.

11. fez

Capodecina

Those things came about at a very different time and a few of those were simply products of their time with 0 logic to them.

Show me a country where:

The rich pay their fair share of tax and corporations pay what they should.
    The police are well funded
    A public health service isn't complaining about not having enough money while the population they serve get fatter, more unhealthy and more demanding of expensive treatment every day.
    The utilities networks are all state owned
    Broadband is free to everyone and has 100% coverage of the country
    Where private schools are not allowed
    Where social security gives people enough to live comfortably whilst not being taken advantage of.

If you can find me somewhere that covers even half of these I will be amazed.

12. Dolph

Man of Honour

Labour are offering all sorts of crazy bribes for stupid people.

That doesn't make them sensible.

13. BowdonUK

Mobster

If you want to beat someone in an election then don't act as stupid as them?

I didn't think I'd have any good memories of Labour under Blair. But they got elected because they had real sensible policies. I voted for them in 1997, also to get rid of the long standing Tory government. Today we're at a similar stage with the Tories, but sadly Labour are unsuitable.

14. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

I don't think free prescriptions is a crazy bribe, TBF. If they're making that pledge, then it's about time. I do agree that the broadband pledge is nonsense.

15. dim_pwn

Gangster

lol, don't think I've ever been in a situation before where I'm hoping that IF that party do get in, that they DON'T deliver most of their promises. Very surreal.

16. FoxEye

Capodecina

The fact that he ballsed up his answer aside, I'm not really sure tbh why it's important that our leaders be relatable to the average Joe.

If aliens gave us a computer that could make the best possible decision for any given question, would we care that it was a machine and not relatable? Or would you just be glad you had a machine that never gave a bad answer.

As the quote from some old film goes; "I may not be a man of the people, but I am a man for the people."

For me it's more important that our leaders have integrity and our best interests at heart (a pleasant fiction, isn't it).

17. fez

Capodecina

The reason they don't do this is because people take the **** and want everything on prescription. Until recently people routinely got prescription paracetamol. Yes, those little tablets you can get over the counter for about 40p.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/get-help-with-prescription-costs/

Thats a nice little article about who actually pays for prescriptions.

There is a reason we don't give people free things that are consumables. They would take the ****. Give people free water and they will leave taps running because why not? Not my money.

If someone wanted to pay for my gas or electricity I would have my whole house heated to 22 degrees throughout the winter.

18. fez

Capodecina

Welcome to politics and society at large. Where people don't want someone who is best for the job they want someone who is like them. We need to make sure they are the right age, gender, ethnicity, not from the wrong school (read private) and their actual ability to do the job comes far too far down the list. Oh, better make sure they haven't done anything in their past we would deem bad by current standards. That is unless they are from a particular demographic who should then be applauded for overcoming adversity.

I think Boris is a bit of an idiot all said and done but who cares if we have a robot in charge. If they do the best job then a robot it is.

19. Murphy

Mobster

So because no country has those things or never done them before (I've not looked as your criteria are rather amorphous) it rules out having them? Because is so we need to cancel this Brexit thing.

20. ltron

Wise Guy

I know, I just wanted to correct the record and free prescriptions work well in Wales. Free broadband hasn't worked too well when they tried something similar in Australia though. Now that my area is one of the Remain Alliance areas and the Tories have no chance here then I can confidently vote Lib Dem knowing they have a decent chance of winning and failing that Labour will get in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.