1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: General Election 2019 voting intention - Oct

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Rilot, Oct 29, 2019.

?

Who will you vote for

1. Conservative

111 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. Liberal Democrat

188 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. Labour

91 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. Brexit

28 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. UKIP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. SNP

17 vote(s)
    3.6%
  7. Plaid Cymru

3 vote(s)
    0.6%
  8. Green

11 vote(s)
    2.4%
  9. TIG (Or whatver they are called this week)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other party

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  11. Independant

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  12. DUP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Sinn Fein

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  14. Spoil ballot

14 vote(s)
    3.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

So exactly the same as anyone else that signs up to a free trade agreement with the EU then? Taking back control!

2. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

No, ask Japan.

3. garnett

Mobster

LOL. So you're up for regulatory alignment now?!

Lemme guess. You knew this all along and being bound by regulation that the UK no longer has prime place in creating is what you voted for all along.

Not getting a "better" trade deal with the US due to not being able to drop standards wasn't what Brexiteers wanted.

Another mandate-decimating revision of which Brexit meant Brexit.

4. Quartz

Sgarrista

Sorry, but how is that the fault of the Conservatives? Local hospitals are responsible for local staffing levels and equipment maintenance. Remember that NHS funding has increased.

5. robfosters

Caporegime

Seeing as this is speakers corner, it’s only right to congratulate Sir Lindsay Hoyle on being elected new speaker.

6. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Because costs have gone up because of an ageing population and technological advance, as well as deep cuts in council funding pushing extra costs onto the NHS. Yes, spending has nudged up, but it's done so at a level below that needed to maintain quality of service.

7. robfosters

Caporegime

But do we have the money to raise funding to the levels you’re talking without plunging the country further into debt?

8. D.P.

Caporegime

lol

Yes, if we didnt bother with this brexit nonsense we would have an additional 70bn GDP to play with. we are already loosing 500m a week

9. chrcoluk

Mobster

It feels like help to buy has been abused in this case?

You have if I understand it right effectively got all your mortgage paid by renting out only a portion of the property and now all your bills also from 2 car spaces. So the government has not subsidised getting you no the proeprty ladder in the traditional sense but rather allowed you to buy a house for free.
    yeah I feel its been abused in this case.

His situation also emphasis the problem with the rental market, I consider the rent excessive if rent from 2 out of 5 bedrooms is enough to cover an entire mortgage for the property.

10. Steampunk

Soldato

Ask Boris and his magic money tree. Even though staff wages are down by about ten percent in real terms thanks to the Tory austerity wage freeze, we can't keep the nurses we're importing in from the likes of the Philippines. They come here, get upskilled and go out to the Middle East for more money. It's supposed to be cheaper to buy them in than train them (cancellation of nurses bursaries, plus lack of places due the dwindling number of teaching hospital have encouraged us to lose that profession like we've lost other industries), but ironically the same way they get bought in for us, they can be bought out again for other, richer countries like UAE or Saudi Arabia. They are not home grown, have no family here, and they moved countries already, so they can do it again. All at a time when they are feeling more unwelcome than ever in the UK.

11. chrcoluk

Mobster

No elected government labour or tory want a early 1990s price crash, its political suicide.

I think a lot of the country would benefit from a housing price crash (correction), but the problem is our economy is entangled with the housing market, a housing crash would be unlikely without a recession alongside it. So any government will do what they can to maintain prices, and even if they cant they will do whatever is needed to prevent banks doing repossessions.

What we really need is a mass building program of social housing, this will fix the rental market.
    This will then also affect the buyers market as dumping a load of new property on the island will adjust the supply and demand balance in favour of buyers.

The problem is whilst I think this is for the good of the country in the long term, and especially the younger generations of people, existing home owners would hate it, as they will lose equity. Many people have their entire retirement dependent on property. Property ownership is probably the most common investment in the country by far.

To read of rooms been rented out for £600 a pop per month makes me feel sick, thats blatant abuse of tenants. How anyone could say "thats good value" when you can buy a 5 bed house for double that is beyond me.

Also I am not happy to read that "help to buy" allows renting out of rooms, government schemes like that should strictly aim to only provide properties of the size required, if you have excess space to rent out rooms, then its bigger then the size required. Its how housing benefit's work, no excess rooms, I dont see why "help to buy" should be any different.

12. robgmun

Capodecina

Indeed, although it's a pretty low bar, i have a good feeling that he's going to be far better than Midget Buckethead

13. robfosters

Caporegime

Hopefully. I’ll always love the way he tore into Salmond that time. Gave him a proper what for :D

14. chroniclard

Capodecina

Be fine so long as he is as neutral as Bercow was.

15. robfosters

Caporegime

Nice tongue in cheek comment from Chronic there.

16. mattyfez

Sgarrista

Help to buy is a complete travesty, it was advertised as helping single people or young couples to get onto the property ladder.

Buying a 5 bed house is abuse. Plain and simple.

But then the scheme had such massive loop holes in it to begin with.

The scheme was a joke from the start, lip service to say the least.

The spirit of the scheme should have been to help, but it's actually pushing property prices up artificially and excluding those who can least afford it.

Full tory.

17. Rroff

Man of Honour

It is interesting catching up a bit with the people who used to live in the same block of flats as I did in London in the early 2000s - most of them have been priced out as the rent has more than doubled in the last 13 years since I left while the mostly mid-level kind of jobs they are in have seen single digit percentage salary increases and in many cases if they moved jobs the pay for the same role has actually gone down ~15%.

18. Lord-Jaffa

Soldato

What? Regulatory alignment is required for any market exports, unless you believe the EU is unique in that respect. Exporting to the US is no different.

Bit of a nonsense post really, I didnt vote for Brexit.

19. Quartz

Sgarrista

And? You could spend the whole of the UK's GDP on the NHS and still yet more could be done.The UK spends half of its budget on healthcare, social services and pensions.

20. Nitefly

Man of Honour

If keeping regulatory alignment is acceptable it does really beg the question as to what is actually going to be gained via brexit from a trade perspective.

Yey for lower standard of products domestically?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.