1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Election every two years

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by bulldog147, Nov 1, 2019.

1. bulldog147

Soldato

Since 2010, we have our GE in 2015, 2017 and now 2019. Next one will be 2021 and 2023 and so on. The brexit will be dragging on and on and on. More hung parliament, more brexit crisis, more general election. UK parliament will never be stronger government again. Unstable every two years.

That's the UK Crystal Ball Telling

2. jsmoke

Sgarrista

It all changed in 1997 with new labour, now with the internet everything is just new, open, hacked/leaked, unorthodox.

3. robgmun

Capodecina

If the tories get a majority it's almost certain they're going to stay the full 5years

4. Semple

Soldato

Unfortunately that is just the current state of politics. With such a divisive topic and governments struggling to secure majorities means that this is likely to go on for some time.

5. Nasher

Capodecina

Could be far worse, we could have someone like Putin (or Corbyn lol) who gets in and clings on to power forever.

6. StriderX

Capodecina

At least Corbyn is old.

7. bayo000

Mobster

This is what happens when you get Strong and Stable goverment.

8. StriderX

Capodecina

BACON BUN! BACON BUN!

I don't think it's a coincidence that all the rhetoric over the past 10 years, have utterly fallen flat to the reality that actually, the Tories kinda suck.

9. bulldog147

Soldato

It's will be 5.5 years because December 2019 to December 2024 (but it will put forward to June 2025 instead)

10. Mason-

Soldato

11. Martini1991

Caporegime

Aren't we glad we voted for Tories and leave for that stability?

12. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

I’ll take Putin as he’s not a communist.

13. ltron

Wise Guy

I fail to see how a confirmatory referendum is divisive and yet continual elections are not.

14. dowie

Caporegime

Well they're somewhat different things for a start! If they do manage to reverse the first referendum with a second then the promises made for the first get shown to be a sham... not to mention that I suspect there could easily be a campaign to boycott it by the leave side and/or to see it as a sham. I mean especially if it is remain vs a labour brexcit deal inc customs union etc... So it doesn't necessarily resolve the issue, it just gives an excuse for remaining if remain win... while still potentially leaving the door open for a Tory or Tory/BXP government to kick off the article 50 process all over again.

It is a GE that can re-arrange parliament and actually get something done.

15. ltron

Wise Guy

But any future Tory/BXP government can trigger Article 50 whether we have a referendum or an election and if the Lib Dems or Labour or a combination of the two win then Brexit can be stopped through an election so I don't see the distinction. The only difference I can see is that Leavers are more likely to win the election, but our voting system is undemocratic so I'm not sure that's a good look.

16. dowie

Caporegime

If Torys win then they don't need to, it has already been triggered, they can just execute the deal they've negotiated and move onto the future trade arrangements.

The referendum was supposedly a "once in a generation" chance to decided, the public decided and the remainers want a re-run now... so a subsequent referendum would be incredibly divisive and likely to be opposed by the other side too - bit of a different scenario to the first:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Referendum_Act_2015
    A GE on the other hand isn't a single issue vote but a regular vote to update the representatives sent to the houses of parliament and potentially kick out the current party forming a government. A second referndum could well be bitterly opposed by the other side, for obvious reason - running it twice and ignoring the previous result gives a bigger chance of success to the loser of the first and in which case it could be a bit futile unless they get a really decisive result/big swing towards remain as the then opposition would still be campaigning to trigger article 50 all over again.

17. Jono8

Caporegime

The promises made by the leave campaign during the first one have already been shown to be a sham.

Seems like it was all one big sham, so needs to be re-done.

18. pingu666

Wise Guy

tbh i dont see a good brexit as possible. either costly no deal, or soft pointless brexit. or boris or mays crappy deals.

and mp's presumably voted to have the refferendum because they thought either outcome was achievable, im presuming they presumed the government had done its homework.

it hadnt done its homework.

and the brexiters in power are mostly useless blowhards.

so we are stuck here.

19. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

The Cons made it that way, nobody else.

And they failed to deliver anything close to what they promised.

20. JRS

Capodecina

For God's sake dowie it's not about reversing the result of the first referendum or pretending that it never happened. It's about confirming with a legally binding vote if that result is what 'the people' still want after three+ years of being told "uh, so I know we promised X, but X isn't achievable so we're gonna do Y instead". And if 15-20 years of unremitting **** before we crawl back into the EU with our collective tail between our legs is genuinely what 'the people' want then fine, we do it.