Genre, Tone etc.

Caporegime
Hey

Currently writing up an essay on a photography period of my choice. I've chosen Constructivism but have run into a little trouble.

For example, one of the photos I have chosen is Alexander Rodchenko's 'Stairs' and I am asked to explain the genre, tone, line, use of colour and composition of the photo.

Now I'm not asking you to do this for me, but rather to help me understand what I'm actually looking for and maybe show some good examples for each?

Things like tone and line, I have no idea.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help. :)

Soldato
18594.jpg

Caporegime
OP
Ah, OK. For some reason, when I read tone, I thought kinda like the 'feel' of the photo. :o

Silly me.

Ta. :)

After I do these then, I have to:

Discuss the impact of significant events – effects from a wider context in relation to the art movement of your choice. E.g this can be the background events politically (e.g War/revolution), in terms of fashion (significant changes in fashion, style), culture (music/fashion/tastes/food, something popular at the time)

:(

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
I looked him up on Wikipedia. It had this to say about his photographs.

"His images eliminated unnecessary detail, emphasized dynamic diagonal composition, and were concerned with the placement and movement of objects in space."

I suppose the picture entitled "stairs" really does highlight this, definately diagonal lines there. The diagonals lead the eye to the left, whilst the lady and baby are moving to the right - to me they're heading in conflicting directions giving the picture an edgy feel.

As for the tones, as someone else has already stated, the shadows deepen in contrast from the left hand side to the right hand side. The shadows in front and to the right of the lady are very dark, creating an area which I can only describe as a 'pit' ie the lady is walking forward and heading for a fall into the dark shadows (if that makes any sense!?!?!)

Add in the baby, which she is clutching tightly and seems to care for, it all adds up to a slightly unnerving feel to the picture.

Whatever your view, the picture is an excellent one.

Back
Top Bottom