~~gentle thypoon + h60~~

Associate
Hey guys, currently I am using the 1 stock fan in a push config.
It does an okay job, 34@ idle but! Well over 66 @load with prime 95 blend test.
I saw reviews for the gentle thypoons n they are suppose to be really quiet while the corsair fan is a real leaf blower.

So i just wanted to know, would there be any performance increase by getting two gt 1850rpm in a push pull config?

N also i see that it is a 3pin fan, while the corsair one is a 4 pin, so whats the difference between 3/4 pin fans?

Thanks

Soldato
3 pin fans won't spin anywhere near the same RPMs as 4 pin ones as the later have higher voltages available to them (12v vs 8v).

Personally I use an apache black 120mm fan on my H60 which is blowing into the case and the temps are mid 50s when being stressed with games. Prime 95 blend test is something else really as you'll hit temps on that you'll never see in any other application.

Associate
OP
Oooh alright,
But the stock corsair reaches 2100rpm n these are suppose to reach 1850rpm so the one pin made that difference?
Skyrim on ultra never gets above 45 even after 4hrs

Soldato
I'm afraid the information in post number 2 is not fully correct.

Most PC fans (only some 5v motherboard fans really excepted) are 12v and come in many different speeds from <800rpm to over 5000rpm. The difference is the motor's design, bearing and power capability.

3 pin fans consist of two pins for power and one for speed output.

4 pin fans have the same as 3 pins but also feature a fourth pwm pin and associated circuit board that quickly starts and stops the fan to reduce it's speed.

So basically a 1850rpm will be quieter than your 2100rpm fan but you may struggle to get automatic control. I'm unsure of the H60s fan control capability so cant say what would happen if you installed a different type of fan.

Don't be misled either that a 1850 rpm fan will be anything approaching quiet at that speed. Noise produced by the airflow alone will be clearly audible. Sure it'll be quieter than a 2100rpm fan but done expect miracles.

Apache is a 4 pin PWM controlled 600- 1500rpm fan which will be quieter than the Corsair but will lose some airflow and the resultant temperature will be slightly higher.

Associate
I dont think you will see a big improvement in temps from replacing the corsair fan with the scythe - however the scythe will likely be a lot quiter.
it will be a much better fan than the corsair - they scythe gt's are very nice, very well made fans and cool really well.

you wont regret replacing it I am pretty sure of that - I also wouldnt worry about 66c temps either 76c maybe a worry.

You have considered push pull - that is a good idea - can you not get another fan to try it with first and check the results for yourself?

Back
Top Bottom