Germany Trip?

Soldato
Got a friend based out in Germany who I will be visiting at some point this summer hoepfully, only gonna spend a few days with him but thinking of spending a week in Germany whilst I'm there cause why not?

I'll stay for 3 days with my mate then go adventure for four days. Best places to visit/stay? No great ideas of what I want to do, just like the idea of slowly travelling Europe and knocking Germany off the list :D

Caporegime
Whereabouts is your mate? Germany's quite a big place though having said that their rail system is so good and cheap it doesn't matter as much as it does in the UK.

Soldato
OP
I should probably find that out. All I know is he's based somewhere out there (army) so I doubt we will be going far from his Base. I'm all up for travelling, might even take the girlfriend with me and make it a little break together. Where are you thinking? Don't know too much about visiting Germany so I'm all ears. :)

Caporegime
My understanding is that the British Army is mainly in NW Germany. Dusseldorf and Cologne are supposed to be pretty cool cities. Tbh those two will probably take up your four days.

Man of Honour
Whereabouts is your mate? Germany's quite a big place though having said that their rail system is so good and cheap it doesn't matter as much as it does in the UK.

The rail network in Germany is generally not cheap - especially for longer distance travel. The reason for this is that prices are set to reflect the fact most permanent residents will have one of several BahnCards which reduce prices. A possible exception to this is that most German states offer a regional one-day ticket valid on local trains within the State which can be useful.

Germany is a fantastic country and there is much there thats worth seeing - I've been a number of times in the past few years and highlights for me were Berlin, one of the most fascinating cities I've ever visited, and Munich and the surrounding mountain areas. Cologne (Went for New Year) was nice enough but there are more interesting places to visit.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Scorza :) I'll take a quick look at the two of them see if anything peaks my interest.

I'll have a proper look around at a later date, see how long it takes to get across the country ETC. Just curious as to if anyone has been and what they would recommend to do.

If I had a car i trusted I'd drive it and stop in France, Belgium and detour to Netherlands on the way, but sadly driving a 16 year old Car, I don't quite have that much faith in it.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;28189478 said:
The rail network in Germany is generally not cheap - especially for longer distance travel. The reason for this is that prices are set to reflect the fact most permanent residents will have one of several BahnCards which reduce prices.

Germany is a fantastic country and there is much there thats worth seeing - I've been a number of times in the past few years and highlights for me were Berlin, one of the most fascinating cities I've ever visited, and Munich and the surrounding mountain areas.

Yeah Munich and Berlin seem like there's loads to do in them. What did you get up to whilst out there?

Man of Honour
Yeah Munich and Berlin seem like there's loads to do in them. What did you get up to whilst out there?

I spent a long weekend in Berlin ticking the usual sightseeing boxes - visiting bits of Berlin Wall, going up the TV Tower, checking out historic sights like Checkpoint Charlie and the Brandenburg Gate. There is so much to see.

Munich was a stop-over on a 3200 mile drive round Europe I did a few years ago - we went to the BMW Museum and had a nosy around the Olympic Park and the town centre and then headed South to the Alps on our way to Innsbruck.

There is more to hold your interest in Berlin than Munich, I'd have said.

There is a very cheap way of getting to Germany by train btw - you can buy a 'London Special' ticket from 59 euro each way which includes both your Eurostar travel to Brussels and onward ICE travel to your destination in Germany.

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/prices/europe/london-spezial.shtml

Soldato
OP
59 euros each way is nice and cheap :D thanks for that. Swaying towards Berlin more and more now.

A 3200 mile drive around Europe? I'd actually love to do that, more so the fact to have a decent car in Germany with no speed limits :D Bet that was a great trip.

Man of Honour
59 euros each way is nice and cheap :D thanks for that. Swaying towards Berlin more and more now.

A 3200 mile drive around Europe? I'd actually love to do that, more so the fact to have a decent car in Germany with no speed limits :D Bet that was a great trip.

Yea, it was pretty cool, we went out as far as Budapest and then back via Austria and Switzerland.

Soldato
Agreeing with other posters, I'd definitely put Berlin on the list, there's just so much to see/do there.

I've only been on a school history trip, but would love to go back one day. I guess it depends what you're into, but I think the most interesting place we visited was the Reichstag/Bundestag - it's really cool that you can just go an look round their parliament, and also smugly climb to the top of the viewing tower on the roof knowing that a Brit designed it :p.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;28189549 said:
Yea, it was pretty cool, we went out as far as Budapest and then back via Austria and Switzerland.

Got a friend that's from Germany and he and his family drive back every year stopping a long the way for a day or so in different places. I said one year I#, coming with him. Budapest seems great too, how long did it take you?

To everyone, we all know Germans can drink? Whats drinking like out there? Is it really all just beer? (please say no, it all tastes like metal)

Edit: my friend is from Bulgaria, all this talk about Germany has Germany on my mind.

Last edited:
Soldato
I went to Stuttgart end of last September for Volksfest sister version of Oktoberfest in Munich was a fantastic time i do love Germany. Also went in the Mercedes Benz Museum and the Zoo there although Zoo are not really my thing it was ok overall fairly decent place.

Went to Cologne last June stayed in a hostel (dirt cheap and was really good) was a nice place lots of beautiful women about it was abit of a eyegasm. Didnt really discover to much but it has the big Cathedral and nice parks it a quaint place but I would only stay here for a few days.

Soldato
OP
I think I'd like to go Oktoberfest just to say I've been :)

Might delay the trip, take a week off uni in October and get him to meet me in Munich haha.

This is worse than trying to pick where to go on holiday haha, (awaits the rhyll comment)

mjt

mjt

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28189478 said:
The rail network in Germany is generally not cheap - especially for longer distance travel. The reason for this is that prices are set to reflect the fact most permanent residents will have one of several BahnCards which reduce prices. A possible exception to this is that most German states offer a regional one-day ticket valid on local trains within the State which can be useful.

If you book in advance, prices aren't that bad at all, especially on ICE.

Tickets bought at the station aren't cheap, no.

Man of Honour
Berlin is a really exciting city, but doing all the obvious tourist attractions, without others to incite mirth, can be a very depressing experience!

Soldato
Got a friend based out in Germany who I will be visiting at some point this summer hoepfully, only gonna spend a few days with him but thinking of spending a week in Germany whilst I'm there cause why not?

I'll stay for 3 days with my mate then go adventure for four days. Best places to visit/stay? No great ideas of what I want to do, just like the idea of slowly travelling Europe and knocking Germany off the list :D

Berlin...

Just back from there, so much to do!

Real cool place.

Back
Top Bottom