get a u2311 now or wait for BenQ XL2410

Soldato
How much you pay for yours?

Edit: I just saw your post in the other thread. Where is this deal running??

Last edited:
Associate
£201.72, I also bought it through a cashback site so if that manages to track, then about £186. They're usually about £265 so at that price, it's an absolute steal.

I just saw your post in the other thread. Where is this deal running??
I'm not sure I'm allowed to say, but go to hotukdeals.com and do a search for U2311H.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it refurbished or something?

Edit: Ah i see it. Wow... that is impressive! Hopefully not refurbished then.

Last edited:
Associate
Nope, brand new with 3 year warranty, that's why it's a crazy deal. The only "catch" is, which I've mentioned above already, is that you have to buy as small/medium business (just fill in a random company name) so you lose consumer rights (DSR, SOGA etc).

There's currently a 20% off offer from the company themselves (lasts until 23rd Nov), then you add a 10% off coupon (lasts until 26th Nov) which brings it to £201.72. Then if you buy through a cashback site and presuming they track it, it's another 10% back so hopefully that means you end up paying about £186. Even if the cashback doesn't work or you don't use it, £201 for this monitor is madness.

Last edited:
Associate
Ordered the U2311H off the Dell website with discount code and cashback yesterday.

Very cheap! Hope it doesn't have tint or backlight issues.

£186 delivered (if cashback tracks) for an IPS panel!

MADNESS!

Soldato
Argh. I NEED a monitor but I can't pick for the life of me. As said in another thread it'll be for most things except gaming. This deal is excellent but I'd prefer to buy as a consumer since I don't want to take any chances (risk adverse). My budget for a monitor is really about £200-250 and £300 would be the max if I could sell a couple of things.

I've noticed that NEC are EOL'ing the EA231WMi to replace it with the LED backlit EA232WMi, should mean some price cuts? I haven't seen it mentioned much here, got a decent review on FlatPanelsHD and TFTCentral. Any opinions?

Last edited:
Soldato
Standard web-surfing, read through a lot of forums + accompanying pretty pictures, video, video-editing, Photoshop (photo-editing/mucking about/tablet drawing/painting occasionally), 3D modelling... none of which will be pro, they're just hobbies. For most of those things the extra real estate vertically of the 16:10 is beneficial.

I won't be playing anything other than the odd Flash game on it, mainly because I'd like a 120hz panel in future to handle the gaming side of things, and two displays with different strengths will be better than one trying to do everything.

Last edited:
Associate
For that much picture and video editing, you may want to look at the HP ZR24w (review here). It's e-IPS and 1920x1200 (16:10) which is what I'd look for if doing a lot of colour based work.

It doesn't come cheap though, lowest I've seen it from a quick Google is £308.54, which is slightly over your max budget.

Edit:- I've just seen you've already considered the HP. It's pretty much ideal for what you're going to be using it for though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was just about to order one but...... what about the NEC EA241WM!?

It's also a 16:10 monitor, yet I can't find much info about it. It's going for about the same price, and, and this is totally superficial, you can get it in the white/silver which would match my Mac Mini (haha *eye roll*).

Lol@indecisiveness!

I can stretch to just over £300 btw, it just means that I really need to sell a few bits and bobs just to make my balance look a bit healthier. I'll live, basically.

Associate
I'm just having a quick look between the monitors and so far, I'd still go for the HP as it's an IPS panel, only e-IPS but it's still better than the TN in the NEC.

Also the silver/white NEC is ugly :p

Soldato
I thought the NEC is a PVA?

Guess it's the HP then, esp. if it's TN. Only thing with the HP is that I can't see if their warranty is like Dell's 'at home' style.

EDIT - derp, I know they were replacing the 231 with the 232, which is IPS, so that's where I got mixed up.

Last edited:
Associate
I thought the NEC is a PVA?

Guess it's the HP then, esp. if it's TN. Only thing with the HP is that I can't see if their warranty is like Dell's 'at home' style.
The NEC is definitely TN.

http://www.nec-display-solutions.co...cts/LCD/Current/LCD-EA241WM/LCD-EA241WM.xhtml

http://www.all-monitors.com/compares/hp_zr24w_vs_nec_multisync_ea241wm

http://board.mypersianforum.com/showthread.php?t=347333

If you look at the specs alone, particularly viewing angle and response time (both of which are low), you can easily tell it's a TN panel.

EDIT - derp, I know they were replacing the 231 with the 232, which is IPS, so that's where I got mixed up.
NEC monitors are typically more expensive, so I doubt the IPS model will be in the £300 range considering their TN one is already costing that much. It'll probably be nearer to Dell's 24" IPS which is about £460-£500.

In fact, even the 23" NEC EA231WMi (e-IPS) is about £300 so there's no way the 24" will be even close to it in price.

Last edited:
Soldato
EA is their 'entertainment' series, PA their 'professional series' (£800+) and SpectraView is their 'reference' series (£1500+). You are right in thinking you would benefit from the 16:10 1920x1200 resolution and IPS panel - you won't find any cheaper than the HP ZR24w.

Soldato
Cheers. Not got much option but the HP in that case. It's entirely possible I'm being a 'tard and should just get a 16:9, but since I already have 1920x1200 on this 15" laptop I feel like losing those 120 pixels is a big deal, although I'd be gaining a fair bit of size:

http://www.displaywars.com/15-inch-16x10-vs-23-inch-16x9
http://www.displaywars.com/15-inch-16x10-vs-24-inch-16x10
http://www.displaywars.com/23-inch-16x9-vs-24-inch-16x10

Anyone want to lend me a calibrator lol? I'll do your dishes, shine your shoes?

Associate
This is my take on 16:10 screens, but I went with the 16:9 U2311H purely because the price/quality couldn't be beat, in my opinion. If I had the money, I would've gone with the ZR24w.

Considering the type of things you're going to be doing, there really is no better choice than the HP. It uses an e-IPS panel so colour reproduction is going to be better than the majority of monitors and is 1920x1200 which you will need (or be grateful for) when doing 3D work as well as photo and video editing.

I'd also love for someone to lend me a monitor calibrator too. I looked at prices to buy even a basic one and was a little gobsmacked.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom