get a u2311 now or wait for BenQ XL2410

Associate
Heh, that's very generous of wonder_lander but yes, neither of us qualify so it's a bit moot. I'm not overly fussed, I'll just calibrate to what looks good to me or at least hope I'll be able to :)

Soldato
Maybe for you haha, I just need another 190 posts! *Puts on spam hat*

I'll ask to be put on the list in a month or two. Apparently the HP looks okay out the box but can look miles better when calibrated properly, so I feel that I've got to do it justice.

Found it for £299 excluding shipping. Think imma pull the trigger! Only thing is the lack of speakers, but I guess I can use my IEMS for the time being. No HDMI but doesn't matter since the Mac Mini comes with an HDMI-to-DVI cable, or I could buy a Mini Display Port-to-Display Port, but the former should work fine.

Associate
I'd need to wait another 5 months to even qualify and then however long the actual waiting list/queue is which could be even longer. I'm quite patient, but even for me that's too long :)

Proper calibration is definitely the way to go with that HP, as you say (and TFTCentral), it needs calibrating to really get the most out of it.

As mentioned earlier, the cheapest reliable place (based on seller rating) I found via Google is a store that begins with C and is a shape of the moon that can sometimes be described as, who sell it for £304.50 delivered (7-10 days delivery though). Which I'm guessing is the same place you've found.

Last edited:
Soldato
Quite possibly sir. ;)

Ordered it! I don't care about the 1:1 pixel mapping for 1080p content, because if there's any videos on YouTube, say, I can just use the YT app on my Apple TV behind me, and any other video I can just AirPlay through iTunes to the ATV2 as well.

Anyway, I'll stop derailing this thread!

Associate
If you're playing Youtube videos, usually in a browser, there won't be any stretching as the player will just scale it right. Full screen games for example can also be overriden via the control panel of your graphics card.

It's only when the actual video signal source is 16:9 (i.e. from a console or DVD/Blu-ray player) do you have problems on the HP as not only will it stretch, but you won't have any way to change the ratio unless the attached device itself can do it.

Soldato
Ah cool. I don't plan on hooking the monitor up to anything else anyway though. Should arrive in the middle of next week. Great success!

Didn't order from that moon-related place in the end, they sneakily were going to add a 2.5% surcharge on the credit card, which was bad manners! I went with the next cheapest place which still came to around £310 delivered, and I shouldn't have to pay the bill till early January.

Now to get on a certain bay of e and try and flog some stuff! (Not leet enough to be in the Members Market yet).

Associate
Didn't order from that moon-related place in the end, they sneakily were going to add a 2.5% surcharge on the credit card, which was bad manners! I went with the next cheapest place which still came to around £310 delivered, and I shouldn't have to pay the bill till early January.
Damn, I've never bought from there before but I didn't see that surcharge anywhere. That's horrendous practice, and to think they're so highly rated as a seller too.

Soldato
My main card is a Visa which had no surcharge, but I would have had to pay the bill for it just before Christmas (and before I got paid), where as the Mastercard doesn't need to be paid in till the 2nd week of January, well after pay day.

It said nothing about it till I got to the payment details section. Their loss.

Anyway, people who ordered these Dells on this crazy deal, post unboxing pic stories, reviews and all that as soon as they're delivered, and ignore this clap trap.

Soldato
Wow that's a cracker of a price for U2311H, I paid £260 for mine back in September! I wouldn't think twice about it at this price.

Soldato
Got my U2311H this morning on the stonking great deal! Was bricking it a bit last night, worried i'd get a duffer, but all good. No stuck/dead pixels, no bleeding or tinting that I can see. I'm a happy bunny! Sent my EW2420 back for this, and boy am I glad I did. :D

Associate
Got my U2311H this morning on the stonking great deal! Was bricking it a bit last night, worried i'd get a duffer, but all good. No stuck/dead pixels, no bleeding or tinting that I can see. I'm a happy bunny! Sent my EW2420 back for this, and boy am I glad I did. :D

Nice to hear you got no stuck/dead pixels, bleeding or tinting issue's. I hope i dont either, Time will tell should be getting it around 12-1 today :D

Associate
Nice one mate! I'm still waiting for my one to come today and like you, am worried about getting a dud.

The annoying thing is, it's been sitting in the depot which is only 20mins away and according to the UPS tracking, it's been "out for delivery" since 6am. I could've picked it up myself in less time.

Did you manage to use the cashback site in the end?

Soldato
So tell me... How did it come from this http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=17677076&postcount=147 to wanting to get rid of your EW2420? Unless you are using it for 'colour-crucial' tasks or suddenly decided the responsiveness was getting to you it seems counter-intuitive to move from an EW2420 in perfect working order to a U2311H. I don't want to disillusion you and if you're happy with the U2311H that's great, I just don't understand your reason for the sudden switch. Having used both monitors now extensively I would be very unwilling to swap one for t'other if I had to.

Soldato
I'm relieved for sure! Mine was out for delivery at 7, got here at 9! All depends where on the route you are I guess. Yeah, used Topcashback. Not tracked yet, but hoping it will kick in. Has yours shown up yet? Thanks for the tip though... already got £40 from a BT Broadband order! :)

Soldato
So tell me... How did it come from this http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=17677076&postcount=147 to wanting to get rid of your EW2420? Unless you are using it for 'colour-crucial' tasks or suddenly decided the responsiveness was getting to you it seems counter-intuitive to move from an EW2420 in perfect working order to a U2311H. I don't want to disillusion you and if you're happy with the U2311H that's great, I just don't understand your reason for the sudden switch. Having used both monitors now extensively I would be very unwilling to swap one for t'other if I had to.
It was the responsiveness that got me in the end to be honest. I was getting a massive headache playing Mafia 2 and COD, so I decided to return it. It wasn't the colour issue in the end, although I would say that this U2311H looks noticeably better to me in that respect.

Oh, and I got £400 for my Eizo!! :D If i wasn't strapped right now, I may have plumped for the U24, but seemed a bit overkill, and with this amazing deal on the U23, couldn't ignore it really.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well that's good going on the Eizo! :D. I wasn't trying to knock the U2311H by the way. I just ordered a mixed batch of U2311Hs and U2410s for some offices where I work because they are both such solid performers for the price. For home use I would also have them very high on my list at the moment - the colour reproduction of the U2311H really is unbeatable for the price. I wouldn't replace my EW2420 with one, however, as I need a glossy monitor to go with the shiny glassware in the room that houses it (haha). I also find the contrast and colour vibrancy of the EW2420 quite excellent but the responsiveness could be better. Since I don't use it on my primary system I suppose the responsiveness doesn't get to me.

Soldato
The fact it was such a dust magnet was driving me a bit nuts too. I seemed to be wiping it down every 10 minutes! I was probably in an opposite situation with the glossy anyway, as everything I have is matte, so it stuck out a bit lol.

Back
Top Bottom