Getting a 1000D at the weekend...

Soldato
I know many on here have far better and more expensive camera's than this,
but this will be my first proper foray into the DSLR market and I'm looking for a bit of advice.

My dads got a 400D just now (main reason I got the 1000D to swap lenses),
and I've played about with it slightly, enjoyed it, believed to get some decent shots, and now I want my own!

So for my 21st parents have bought me a 1000D with the 18-55 (non IS :() kit lens.
Will the fact that this lens doesn't have image stabilisation become a big deal?
Or will it be something that I can compensate for?

I do plan on ditching the kit lens at some point, once my skill becomes greater,
something like the nifty fifty would be great along with a telephoto for landscapes.

I'd also like some advice on a study well priced tripod, please!

Anything else I should look out for would be much appreciated

Also, I won't have a proper chance to play about with it on Saturday,
as we are having a people over and I plan on getting rather inebriated. :( :D

Soldato
The 18-55mm IS version is better not just because of the IS, but there is a significant optics difference. However, if it's the first lens, it'll allow you to play and study the aspect of aperture, exposure and shutter-speed rather than rely on IS to compensate.

And you mentioned Telephoto for landscapes? Usually it's the wider end of lens range for landscapes - capture more field of view (somewhere between 10mm and 60mm would be the ultrawide and wide angles, 70mm and above is starting into the telephoto range IMO)

Anyway, as you've mentioned, you have your dad's lens to play with too, so focus on your kit lens and know where your shooting focal range is before you invest in a good fast lens :)

Soldato
OP
And you mentioned Telephoto for landscapes? Usually it's the wider end of lens range for landscapes

Anyway, as you've mentioned, you have your dad's lens to play with too, so focus on your kit lens and know where your shooting focal range is before you invest in a good fast lens :)

Thanks for your reply!
Right, I see. I thought I would be better with a zoom for landscapes and a wider lens for portraits.

Well, I'm learning! :o

Also is my camera a full frame model?

Associate
no the 1000d is a crop camera meaning the focal length is increased by 1.6x making a nifty fifty a bloody good portrait lens (around 80mm being the best focal length for portrait shots)

Soldato
OP
Its definitely the Non IS version.
I got it for £368.40 at a well known Amazing website ;)

What does USM stand for?

My dad has his own lens which is the same, if not similar, and the one I have is the kit lens for the camera.
So we have two lenses that are 18-55 and he has another which may be 70-200mm.

Associate
Its definitely the Non IS version.
I got it for £368.40 at a well known Amazing website ;)

What does USM stand for?

My dad has his own lens which is the same, if not similar, and the one I have is the kit lens for the camera.
So we have two lenses that are 18-55 and he has another which may be 70-200mm.

ultra sonic motor i think

Associate
I actually do not think the non is lens is that bad (there are a lot worse!). From memory mine came with my last camera (400d) and i fluked a good fewpics with that.
My 450 came with the IS and i cannot really tell to much difference when looking at a variety of pics taken with both at varying focal lengths.
I actually sold the IS just after i brought it and then a few months later missed having a general purpose small lens. Just by chance Dixons tax free (i work at an airport) were knocking them out for less than £60 so i snapped one up.

Back
Top Bottom