Getting "antsy" with my 5820K

Associate
Hi all,

I'm looking to "spritz" up my PC with some new hardware to get some newer features/better fan control (Mainly motherboard bits). I've not got a massive budget to do it with (£400-£500ish plus any from selling parts)

My main concern for the current system is although I could get a new motherboard their isn't much choice for MATX>= and what is out there is quite expensive considering it is not the newest architecture.

My current system is:
5820K stock clock
EVGA X99 Micro 2
32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM
GTX 1080 Reference (Edit: It's not a Ti, my brain was on autopilot for that bit)
Samsung 845 Pro SSD (850GB)

So, if you were in this situation would you go new board/CPU, new board or stick for a while? (Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm just looping at the moment)

Last edited:
I don't understand what features you are looking for, as you have a high end CPU, decent motherboard with an M2 slot and a 1080Ti.
Definitely overclock the CPU. If you have a stock cooler upgrade that. You haven't stated the size of you ram, so if need be upgrade to 16GB.
The rest is a real waste of money. Perhaps upgrade the monitor?

Caporegime
I almost upgraded to Threadripper from my 5820K, had bought the mono but sent it back because it's likely the 7nm Ryzen will be monsters. Glad I didn't too because my 5820K is still plenty fast.

I'll either go to the high end Ryzen chips if they come with 16cores or to Threadripper 2 this year. That'll be a massive upgrade.

Associate
OP
I don't understand what features you are looking for, as you have a high end CPU, decent motherboard with an M2 slot and a 1080Ti.
Definitely overclock the CPU. If you have a stock cooler upgrade that. You haven't stated the size of you ram, so if need be upgrade to 16GB.
The rest is a real waste of money. Perhaps upgrade the monitor?
I have 32GB of DDR4 and in all honestly it's mainly just the motherboard UEFI GUI and fan control (For the record my monitor is a Acer Ultrawide so that's good for the time being). Mainly I'm looking to see if I am just wasting my money on this platform on the newer one :)

Stick a AIO cooler on that CPU and clock the nuts off it. It is still a high end CPU with enough grunt for most games with that GPU.
That might be a decent shout as the H60 I've got was "supposed" to be a temporary measure :)

I almost upgraded to Threadripper from my 5820K, had bought the mono but sent it back because it's likely the 7nm Ryzen will be monsters. Glad I didn't too because my 5820K is still plenty fast.
I'll either go to the high end Ryzen chips if they come with 16cores or to Threadripper 2 this year. That'll be a massive upgrade.
When are the higher end Ryzen chips supposed to be making there way to GA?

Associate
OP
I'll be waiting. 5820K is hardly slow and a bump to 16 cores will be worth the wait.
Yeah, it is looking less like April and more like June.
Bugger, looks like I'm in it for the long haul then (Just want a decent MATX board for the 5820K really but can't see the point in getting one when theres a new chipset on the horizon)

Back
Top Bottom