Getting back on the bike

Associate
Hey OCUK lol

after looking at it for many years i thought i would strip down the bike and clean it up so i can get back on the pedals and put a few miles at the weekend instead of sitting on my **** playing video games lol

all went well till i put the rear derailer on and it looked odd so put the chain on and found it seems far to loose to be useable so i just want a little expert eye on seeing if this is indeed shafted

BustDerailer.jpg

all the pixs i have seen the de-railer they seem to look more of a S shape instead of this and was wondering if i have damaged something when i soaked it in diesel/paraffin?

Thanks in Advance

Wobbs

ps this is an 14 year old bike so the component is the same age

Soldato
That is seized or something as the bottom part of it should be springing back to it's default position.

New mech can be had for £15 but, judging by the state of that jockey wheel, you may need to fit a new chain and freewheel. They all wear out together so if you buy a new chain it most likely won't mesh in with the old cogs at the bag.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...imano TX31 Tourney Derailleur&source=shopping this part here.

Associate
OP
thanks for the reply and yeah might pop into halfords this week and get a new derailer i already got a new chain for it (Had to take it off due to me finding out it was sagging loads) and hopefully they will be able to help me get one for a 7 speed hub which i should really clean up and was going to replace the jocky wheel at some point but if i get a new mech it should get me back on the road and put the miles i used to do in :) (used to do 5-10 miles a day when i was last using the bike so its done shed loads of miles already :)

maybe i should think of buying a new bike but with the market that is it is now and what i had back then its all so scary on whats good and whats pants :S

Wobbs

Soldato
Definately need a new 7 speed freehwheel if you've got a new chain. Take the wheel and ask nicely if the guy will change it for you as it's a splined tool you need to take it off.

Dumfries has a Halfords you could use.

Soldato
Nice one! You'll also need a chain tool to take links out of the new chain.

Put the chain round the biggest front and biggest rear cogs WITHOUT the rear mech and add one link to where it would effectively join. Count how many links(inner and outer plate = 1 link). Double check by running it through the meach and putting it in the two smallest cogs...make sure the chain isn't sagging or rubbing on the rear mechanism.

Go to the Chain Sizing - Largest Cog and Largest Chainring Method section.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-length-sizing

Make sure you set the limit screws on the new rear mech, follow the guide on that part tool site again.

Associate
OP
well i got the new one today and tbh i am embarrassed to put a shiny new part on the old bike lol but for the price hey hopefully it will get me back on the saddle and start getting fitter and loose some of the flab i happened to acquire over the years of car usage :)

thanks for the guide also it will be used at the weekend when i bolt the new bit on :) now all i need to do is look for a group in the area who might point me in the direction i want to go

Wobbs

Associate
OP
well i got the mech sorted and works well just need to do adjustments to the front mech and its all sorted :)

although the ride (saddle) could be better but maybe that due to my large mass :< (due to me being overweight and stuff) so would proper cycling shorts help or a new saddle? any help is very welcome and just glad i didn't fall off the bike completely lol

Soldato
Cycling shorts make a massive difference, far more than i expected.

I say this as a person who's gone from not cycling at all since i was about 12, to starting cycling and racking up over 100 miles in my first month due to taking up commuting. Cycling shorts were the best piece of kit i bought, a decent base layer was second.

Soldato
lol I'm doing about 500 miles a month on average in normal shorts. Can't wait to buy santini bib shorts with a good pad. Going to feel like heaven!

So aye they make a difference!

Associate
OP
ahh thats good would be ****** if i bought them and then others say never help lol

i used to do loads of biking when i was 14-18 was doing roughly 10 miles a day (ok ok not a lot but i was a kid back then) and even in the summer 30 miles so i am not a new comer to the biking just 12 years outta touch lol

Back
Top Bottom