Getting back pain so think I need a 'proper' desk chair Herman Miller Mirra any good?

Soldato
I have had my current chair for probably 10 years and have replaced the seat foam as it got a bit worn out. The seat is very comfy, but the back doesn't seem to give my back any support and I tend to slouch in the seat. I bought a lumbar support thing to add to the back, but it makes the seat uncomfy to sit on and seems to have made my back feel worse since I have been using it.

So i'm thinking of buying a Herman Miller Mirra as it seems to be a good price second hand compared to the higher end Aeron. I just wanted to ask if anyone has one and their opinions of the chair? Is it comfortable to use as a general desk chair, for gaming, watching movies etc? Can you recline back and put your feet up, or is it solely for sitting upright and doing office tasks?

I'm looking at spending £250-£300 at the most.

Soldato
I was happy with mine, bought second hand like you. I got rid of mine last year otherwise could have had that! Just needed a new seat portion cause it ripped but they're £100 by themselves.

Comfy chairs, don't think you'll go wrong.

Soldato
OP
That's good to hear, thanks! So the plastic back is comfier than it looks then? I have always had padded chairs, so not sure what to expect with a plastic back and mesh seat.

I'm going to sell a lens to pay for it so i'm hoping it'll last me a while. I'll have to be careful not to wear anything that might pluck the mesh seat. I hadn't thought about that being a potential issue until now.

Associate
Been using a Herman Miller Aeron at work for a few years and it's very nice - mesh is very comfortable.

For home picked up a second Humanscale Freedom and thats v.comfortable and looks the dogs danglies.

Only observation is that with recent heat plus the temp in the home office (PC pumps out quite a bit of heat) that I'd actually reconsider and look for mesh as it's that's much cooler.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies, i'll have a good look through the suggestions. The steelcase leap v2 was also one I was looking at, but I don't know if I like the idea of a second hand fabric/cushioned office chair.. I could easily re-upholster it though if I found one for a good price.

Associate
Thanks for the replies, i'll have a good look through the suggestions. The steelcase leap v2 was also one I was looking at, but I don't know if I like the idea of a second hand fabric/cushioned office chair.. I could easily re-upholster it though if I found one for a good price.

I wouldn't write off second hand - the Humanscale Freedom I picked up was in pretty much mint condition so it'd either been reupholstered or barely used.

Take a look at 2ndhnd.com - quite a few people on forums have used them (there's a lot of related discussions in the https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/gaming-chairs.170/ sub which you may find useful)

Soldato
I have the Mirra at both home and work. I’ve been using them for 5 years, I personally think it’s one of the most comfortable places chair ever made.

I have a bad back and I find it has just the right amount of adjustments that I can always adjust it as needed to be comfortable and in the current weather you’re not sweating into a fabric chair.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I've a Herman Miller Aeron at home which I find really comfy. We have fairly fancy office chairs at work but I find the Herman much comfier and better for my back.

Associate
Just took delivery of the Vertagear Triigger 350 and am super impressed, it’s lumbar support is right up there with the very best. It’s as good as a Herman Miller but the price is above the budget, that said if you’re like me and have back issues then I’d find the money to get the right chair. The Triiger 275 is cheaper, but being on the heavier side I went for the 350.

Soldato
Ah just remembered a reason why I went with the cloth Steelcase Leap over a mesh chair - I read beforehand that sitting in the chair with shorts on and shirtless, the mesh is very likely to pull out your leg/back hairs.

This may be a problem when watching pr0n

Back
Top Bottom