1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Inkjets Serviced/Repaired

Discussion in 'Printers' started by AndyCr15, Jun 16, 2018.

1. AndyCr15

Capodecina

Reading through this forum, I realise I shouldn't be using an inkjet, I should go laser jet as I only print now and then, the occasional address label.

I've just put some new cartridges in my Brother MFC-J5320DW and it's printing terribly. The test page shows most of the colours just don't print anything.

I see I could get a Brother DCP-1512 Mono Laser Printer for only £65, but I wonder if I might be able to get my current printer fixed for less as I still have a fair few cartridges left.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone know someone in the North London area?

If I'm thinking to replace it anyway, should I just take it to pieces and find the print head, give it a clean myself?

2. ANDARIAL

Soldato

3. AndyCr15

Capodecina

Yeah, thanks, I've tried those.

4. leezer3

Mobster

Don't touch the head or try taking it apart, just get hold of a syringe & needle and a bottle of isopropyl alcohol.
    White spirit also works if it's really nastily bunged up. Meths & paintbrush cleaner would also do the trick but these have got addititives in them.

Basic cleaning process:
    Remove all the ink cartridges and look in the back of the cartridge holder.
    You should see in there the 4 little inlet nozzles, which look something like the end of a biro.
    Take your syringe & insert it into each inlet in turn, & draw out whatever's in there.
    Squirt this into a bowl or something out of the way. (IT STAINS, so use something old and be careful!)
    Load up the syringe with isopropyl and inject into each inlet in turn. Don't worry too much about pressure, the needle will pop out before you do any damage.
    Draw out the isopropyl you just injected from each inlet.
    Depending on how bunged up inside, you may need to repeat a couple of times.

Finally, reinsert the cartridges and run 2-3 cleaning cycles.

Revived a couple of completely blocked Brother printers doing this.
    Cheap ink and leaving it standing in the printer for months with no printing doesn't help :)

5. AndyCr15

Capodecina

Thanks, sounds easy enough, will look into this.

6. AndyCr15

Capodecina

That worked great, thanks. Injected the IA around 3 times, then did around 5 or 6 cleans until they are all about 95%. Only problem being, that's actually used an entire set of colour cartridges!

I wont put new ones in until I need to print something again.

Any tips on not letting them dry up again? Maybe print a test page every month or something?

7. leezer3

Mobster

Don't know the specific model off the top of my head, but that's about right.

Alternatively, leaving it on but in standby mode will probably work; Mine (DCP-6690CW) automatically runs a flush through once in a while if it's not used, but I wouldn't be certain that all of them do it.