Getto budget build

Associate
Hey all

So I've been out of the game for a few years now, and wouldn't mind just a really cheap probably mostly 2nd hand build.

I still have my old case, PSU, SSD, mouse and keyboard.

Are the G3258s overclocked still viable these days? As for a GPU 1080p on med/high settings would be absolutely fine as it'll be connected to a TV.

This build really would a side project, a test of what's possible on a low budget more than anything else.

Thanks for your help

Man of Honour
I wouldn't touch the G3258 now that the socket is three generations old. Good boards are getting harder to come by and prices for them are rising. For a budget build I would be looking at the Kabylake Pentium G4560 which now has hyper threading along with a B250 motherboard.

Associate
OP
Looks good!

Maybe I'll try and push the budget and pair it with a 1050ti or AMD equivalent.

Need to resist the budget creep though!

Last edited:
Associate
Possibly going against the grain here a little, but, how about a 2nd hand fx8320 and a am3+ motherboard and a 970? Surely along with 8gb of ddr3 ram that wouldn't be over £300

Associate
OP
Possibly going against the grain here a little, but, how about a 2nd hand fx8320 and a am3+ motherboard and a 970? Surely along with 8gb of ddr3 ram that wouldn't be over £300

This got me thinking about maybe an 860k, but that Intel upgrade option I agree seems my best choice.

Associate
Im not bashing the FX chips but if you dropped you're money on a 2nd hand FX8320 or 8350 CPU and board it would be a good budget gaming build but it would never be anything more
theirs no upgrade path to go with it. same with the 860k to upgrade from there you would need to do a new build.

if I had around £300 and was looking to get a CPU, board and RAM I would go for something along the lines of this

I've included an overclocking board thinking of future upgrade but you could get a cheaper non overclocking board if you wanted

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £332.47
(includes shipping: £10.50)

non overclocking board would save around £40

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...151-ddr4-micro-atx-motherboard-mb-69c-as.html

Associate
OP
Would it really be much of an advantage going for the more expensive 7300 rather than the G4560?

Just by dropping the i3 and going for the pentium I can add an GTX 1050ti to that basket for a total of £354.42

Associate
OP
So last night I was doing a little cleaning as it was the first day of spring and to my surprise found a pair graphics cards a set of triple channel memory and CPU cooler!

I don't think this changes my mind on the build really. But it's tempting when all I'd need is a CPU and motherboard to get up and running again.

Back
Top Bottom