Ghost in the Shell (2017) (Scarlett Johansson)

Soldato
I vaguely remember in the manga/anime that some of the characters generally refer to her as the major more than by her name.

Oh yes, they do; but with the cast credits of the GiTS anime films and TV series', the character's name is always listed; sometimes with her Major title, sometimes not. I just thought it odd that the character's name is not given on the cast listing with this film.

Soldato
Did they have to copy the Trinity wall run?

Didn't like the trailer, it had the visuals from the anime but I don't think it was edited well and the song choice was bad (well the cover was, should have at least used the original).

Yes I thought that with the slow mo and wall run; and yes, should have gone with Depeche Mode's original song. :(

Man of Honour
I'll watch it purely because it's GitS and I spent most of my teen years watching every episode every few days. It's one mind bender of a series that needs complete focus.

Going by the trailer, looks like they keep a number of things faithful to the anime, I also like the atmosphere set out. Wish they kept the same music production though, a core part of GitS is in the musical score.

Soldato
Thirded on the music.

Just watched the opening sequence where her body is constructed; they've done a good job with that. The original composer (Kenji Kawai) did the music for this. Hope it's used in more than just the opening sequence.

Gave me goosebumps listening to that again. :D

Commissario
I'm suddenly getting the urge to dig out my GITS discs.

The official trailer looks like they're taking bits from both the original films, possibly parts of SAC and changing the backstory for the major as well (at least a bit).

[edit]
Dug them out, as soon as I finish Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star I'm watching GITS, GITS: Innocence, then SAC 1 & 2, I may even find my Tachikoma models :)

Soldato
I'll likely watch it but that trailer doesn't fill me with hope and I like GITS anime series.

I said from day one that Scarlett Johanson was wrong for the major and imo that trailer just reinforces that viewpoint, to me it just feels like black widow in another outfit.
Having said that Batou doesn't feel right either, seems too young for the character.

I feel a lesser known actress would have been much better casting call for the Major but sadly for some unknown reason Scarlett Johanson is seen as an actress that can pull in viewers.... mind you apart from Takeshi Kitano (huge Japanese movie star who is ironically playing arguably the least asian person in section 9...), Rila Fukushima and Michael Wincott none of the cast are particularly well known.

Caporegime
Only just realised a new film was released last year, dubbed "The New Movie" lol. Is it worth a watch? Going to watch the 1995 film tonight :D.

Associate
Watched the 1995 one the other week, it was ok. Sure I watched it many, many moons ago but was only slighly familiar with some of the scenes.

Looking forward to this one. I do like a bit of Scarlett, well, a few bits to be honest!

Back
Top Bottom