Gift ideas for step-bro?

Associate
Hi guys,

I don't know if this is the correct place to post, so apologies in advance. I've just discovered this forum after doing a search.

It's my step-bros birthday coming up soon (he's 14), and he likes the Warhammer computer games. Does anyone know a tabletop board game i could get him to get him started into the hobby? I've been on the Warhammer website and am lost with what to buy.

Thank you,
Tanya

Soldato
Killzone or Warcry might be a good shout. Small scale skirmish games that are both very popular atm. There's Necromunda too - which is the best thing GW have done in a good while imho - but it's more of a money/time investment and a bit more hardcore. Maybe for down the line if he gets into this stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you know which Warhammer games he's been playing?

If it's 40k, then Kill Team might be a good shout.
If it's the fantasy ones, then Warcry might be a better shout.

Personally, Warcry is a brilliant game. So simple, yet full of depth.

Soldato
Do you know which Warhammer games he's been playing?

If it's 40k, then Kill Team might be a good shout.
If it's the fantasy ones, then Warcry might be a better shout.

Personally, Warcry is a brilliant game. So simple, yet full of depth.

This.

If he prefers guns and futuristic settings go Kill Team if he prefers spells and swords go Warcry.

Associate
OP
Thank you very much for your advice guys :)

I've seen him play the one with guns, sorry i can't remember the name of it. Can these games be played on your own, or do you have to be in a group? Do you guys play in groups?

Thank you x

Soldato
Thank you very much for your advice guys :)

I've seen him play the one with guns, sorry i can't remember the name of it. Can these games be played on your own, or do you have to be in a group? Do you guys play in groups?

Thank you x

It sounds like Killteam is the one to explore, but it isn't single player. 1 vs 1 is the way the vast majority of these games are played.

Soldato
If he has never played the board games before then I would suggest spending £25 for the 40k starter set. He could always put the models together and play without painting them. Nice simple tester to see if he likes it, probably better than spending lots of money on something he might not enjoy or run the risk of overwhelming him. Also the above suggestions are like jumping in at the deep end when you cant swim (Which some people do like but I don't know what your step brother is like). If you want you could always buy a starter paint set.
You could buy these items online from none Games Workshop sites for a lot cheaper.

Link to starter stuff on the Games Workshop site. You could always go for the medium starter set which is £50 (Or about £40 on other sites)

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer-40-000?N=1125463923+2769960934&Nr=AND(sku.siteId:GB_gw,product.locale:en_GB_gw)&Nrs=collection()/record[product.startDate+<=+1569445380000+and+product.endDate+>=+1569445380000]

The paint set and novice starter set would come to £50 but you could probably get it for £40 free p&p from Wayland Games.

EDIT. Wayland Games links below. Paint set is out of stock, but there are other online shops like Magic Madhouse. P&P is free over £20. You get glue, cutters and other essential stuff with the paint set. Games Workshop shops will have it all if you are in a hurry to get it.

https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/warh...-strike?search_query=first+strike&results=116

https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/citadel-paint-sets/58993-warhammer-40-000-essentials-set-english?search_query=Warhammer+40,000+Citadel+Essentials+Set&results=11

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom