Gigabit networks becoming a bottleneck

Associate
With super fast hard drives around now that can transfer 400MB /sec etc, the practicality of these in a NAS box seems limiting. Gigabit networks being only able to deliver 125 MB / sec.

Is there any new standard for home networking on the horizon with faster than Gigabit connections?

Another example, two computers on the network with SSD drives. Again that 125 MB limit.

Soldato
10G exists but it is expensive and it'll just push the bottleneck elsewhere. Most consumer NAS don't have faster than Gb ports for example so you'd need to build a home-brew PC with disks and 10G cards or else spend thousands and thousands on enterprise kit. And that's before you spend more on upgrading the core infrastructure to 10G.

Caporegime
I think home networks are all about wireless now, and development in that area. The cost of 10Gb has been dropping but it's still pretty pricey, and has distance limitations. The cheapest option is still likely to be either aggregated 1Gb links, or wait for MGig to pick up and see if anybody decides to market it for home users.

Man of Honour
Despite being a relative power user I rarely find the home network speed that big an issue - I've rarely ran into situations where 100Mbit is too slow other than very occasionally when switching is ineffective i.e. the same system is trying to max out LAN and WAN (FTTC) connections at the same time.

Might be different if I was doing stuff that required more SAN like capabilities especially if trying to video edit off large network storage but I tend to do anything like that off local storage and copy to and from before/after.

Don
Costs a bomb to get 10Gbps NAS and network at the moment..

~£950 for NAS
~£100 for 2x SFP+ (or £50 for Twinax cable)
~£650 for switch
~£250 per 10Gbps network card for your PCs, which use PCIe x4 slots.

Caporegime
Whilst I do use these at home, would you use them in a production environment?

As above. Production gets whatever the manufacturer says is required to maintain support, but if I don't care about that then I'm not going to spend more cash than an FS optic for no reason at all.

Soldato
What could you do on a home network that would need that much speed?

You could move your bulk storage away from your main PC and have a smaller case? Quietness? Loads of things are possible when the network links are as fast or faster than your internal device links!

Soldato
You could move your bulk storage away from your main PC and have a smaller case? Quietness? Loads of things are possible when the network links are as fast or faster than your internal device links!
Yes but won't that move of bulk storage be done once and then the bulk of your storage is already on said box? Unless you plan on moving it back and fourth daily?

Soldato
Yes but won't that move of bulk storage be done once and then the bulk of your storage is already on said box? Unless you plan on moving it back and fourth daily?

Not really, I mean it'd turn network drives to local drives. Could run your games and other stuff off it, without having mechanical drives in the room.

Once the bulk storage has been moved, you'd just have super fast access to it but without the noise of it! It'd save me having to have SSD's as my drives for silence for one thing.

Back
Top Bottom