• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte 3080 fault, rma fears, upgraded thermal pads first month

Associate
Hi,
So I've got an almost definite fault on my card. Was playing control before game black screened, had to button pc.

Can't seem to even last more than a few minutes on windows without my pc black screening. Ran memtest all OK.

Tried installing new nivida drivers, black screened.

Now the issue I have is I upgraded my thermal pads (Oct 2020) the first month I got my card, it knocked 20c off the temps..my core temp never went over 70 and mem often 70 to 80c.

I've heard mixed things on gigabyte voiding the warranty for this, which seems absurd as I'm prolonging the life of the card.

Thanks in advance appreciate any hints or tips.

Soldato
If you use hwinfo to monitor the card, is there any indication something isn't right? Temps, power etc. Does Windows reliability report anything useful?
Do you know anyone with a similar system that could test the card for you?

Soldato
have you checked temps before it happens ? can use GPUz or HWMONITOR or have Overlay using MSI Afterburner

tried reinstalling the drivers ? what PSU are you running ?

Associate
OP
If you use hwinfo to monitor the card, is there any indication something isn't right? Temps, power etc. Does Windows reliability report anything useful?
Do you know anyone with a similar system that could test the card for you?
Temps all fine. Lucky to last more than 5 mins in windows. Black screens, occasionally the fans spin really fast for 10 seconds on the card.

Core and memory all below 70c in Windows.

Tries booting afterburner to put fan speed to 100% lowers the temps again.

Soldato
Fans boosting to 100% makes me think it's thermal issue as suggested above could try re pasting again and make sure the pads have dents so you know they have made good contact

Associate
I know that you did mem test but I would try with turning of XMP and running one stick of system ram in the boards preferred slot at the default speed. If that runs ok, add another stick in the other slot preferred at default and see if that improves the situation.

Back
Top Bottom