• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte 480 GTX SOC or Asus GeForce GTX 480

Associate
Hello
I have ordered a Gigabyte 480 GTX SOC but am wondering if I should return it and order an Asus GeForce GTX 480?

After looking through this thread:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18252461

(which was very confusing because it is too big and people are talking about many different cards) it seems that the Gigabyte 480 GTX SOC is a very unreliable card - is this the case? Has anyone happy with their 480 GTX SOC?

The Asus GeForce GTX 480 seems to have much better reviews and is cheaper…

Associate
id stay with the stock at stock mine isent stable and i was going to rma it but i was messing round with clock speeds and got it stable at 900/1800/2000 in games havent stress tested it them are around 60c idle has i have 2 screen low 40ish if i take one out high 70s low 80s on load in games

if you get one thats not stable and dont want to solve it your self just rma it to gigabyte takes about week and way even get a 580 back instead

Soldato
jrodga2k5 - did your SOC work on stock voltage right out the box, or did you have to fiddle with it?

Done nothing with it at all mate. No need to touch the voltages or the clock speeds.

Heaven Benchmark has no Artifacts and No Artifacts in any Games whatsoever.

Remember people are more likely to post if they encounter a problem :)

Associate
OP
Done nothing with it at all mate. No need to touch the voltages or the clock speeds.

Heaven Benchmark has no Artifacts and No Artifacts in any Games whatsoever.

Remember people are more likely to post if they encounter a problem :)

BTW what PSU are you running on? Thought maybe some other people were have problems due to inadequate PSU's

Associate
OP
Well my 480 SOC is on it's way now (curse overclockers for such fast service :p ). So I'll just have to wait and see. Fingers (and toes) crossed!!

Associate
OP
Got my card this morning and installed - all looking fine. Can someone pls recommend some programs for testing stability. Thanks :)

Man of Honour
I like these for GPU testing:

Devil May Cry 4 benchmark (stand alone doesn't need the game) look at the water on the street in the first scene it seems really sensitive to VRAM issues and tends to corrupt at the slightest hint of instability for some reason.

EVGA artifact scanner - hard to get hold of without a registered EVGA product but seems better for testing than furmak/kombuster and similiar.

Heaven benchmark - not the best for testing due to the odd artifact naturally ocurring but in conjunction with other tests its useful as it works out a broad spectrum of GPU features.

Some people use the OCCT GPU tester but I'm not a fan of it personally as it puts an abnormal load on the GPU, doesn't test a broad spectrum of functionality and prolonged periods of running it can kill a perfectly fine GPU or damage other parts of the system.

AzZ

AzZ

Associate
Test with:

MSI Kombustor
Heaven 2.5
Crysis (max it out if you can and run the Assault level)

Run OCCT for 1-2 mins, if you get thousands of errors the card is not stable. Thats not going to damage the card and is a good sign of stability.

Also the EVGA artifact scanner won't work unless you have an EVGA card ;)

Back
Top Bottom