1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gigabyte 480 GTX SOC or Asus GeForce GTX 480

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by paspc, May 22, 2011.

1. Rroff

Man of Honour

Ah I have 1.3.1 does say "requies a EVGA GTX 400 series graphics card" in the readme but never had a problem running it on anything else.

2. AzZ

Gangster

Just got hold of the latest version to try, but an EVGA card is required.

EVGA OC Scanner 1.6.1 If anyone wants it let me know.

3. paspc

Gangster

Oh dear. After playing crysis 2 and witcher 2 for about 15 mins i start to notice a few graphics artifacts :(

I downloaded MSI Kombustor, Heaven 2.5 and OCCT. When benchmarking with Heaven 2.5 again notice a few artifacts. OCCT generates 1000's of errors after a few seconds.

I bought a new PSU for this 480 SOC, a OCZ StealthXStream 2 700W Power Supply:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-047-OC&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1098

Do you think the errors are more likely to be the card or could it be the PSU has not enough power to the graphics card? I don't know how reliable this PSU is...

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  4. Rroff

Man of Honour

I doubt its the PSU.

5. paspc

Gangster

Yeah - thought the PSU was a long shot. Think I'm going to return this SOC and get an SE instead. Is the SE worth the £40 difference over the Asus GeForce GTX 480?

6. AzZ

Gangster

The SE is a non reference card and has a better cooler. I personally have not heard a ref. 480 but the general view seems to be "they run too hot and sound like a helicopter/jet/turbine.."

Although it seems you don't really have a choice as the SE seems to be sold out.

7. OCPete

Wise Guy

8. paspc

Gangster

9. Stoner81

Wise Guy

+1 I have this cooler for my 480 (Zotac model) and it is just epic it can be noisy still on full tilt but you can mess with the fan speeds to suit your needs easily enough.

Yes it will I think, it is pretty straight forward to fit though just take your time.

Stoner81.

10. paspc

Gangster

Ok thanks for the info. Does this cooler only fit the reference model 480's? Do you think it will fit on a Gigabyte GTX SE or SOC?

11. Stu_Allcott

Gangster

why not get the msi 480 lightning?

12. Stoner81

Wise Guy

A 480 is a 480 so it should fit any 480 card regardless of who makes it.

Stoner81.

13. privateeye0

Gangster

Get the Asus. Bought 2 and both have run flawlessly. They are a little louder but you have next to no risk of getting an unstable one. Been gaming like a mad man on Witcher 2, Crysis 2 and now DIRT 3 no problem for the past month. ASUS stock ***!!

14. OCPete

Wise Guy

AFAIK this is not the case there are non-referance boards out there. I believe the GB 480 SOC and 480SE are both non-referance boards. I think the PCB is different along with the cooler. I am not clear if the changes affect the fitting of the Zalman cooler. It maybe the differences are minor, and the cooler still fits. Or it maybe the changes are small and a quick dremel session can sort out any fitting issues.;)

But the Asus is a referance board and the Zalman fits perfectly.

15. paspc

Gangster

Thanks OCPete. I suspected as much. I will ask in the GB 480 SOC to see if anyone has fitted this cooler. I suspect that it will be incompatible.

16. Stoner81

Wise Guy

Thanks for the information I didn't know that, I have the Zotac version and the Zalman slotted in perfectly :D

Stoner81.

17. paspc

Gangster

Sent the SOC back to overclockers and ordered an Gigabyte GeForce GTX 480 SE instead. Installed the SE and it is better in every way. Even clocked at 820Mhz it is more stable, runs on less voltage and runs 15 - 20 degrees cooler while gaming. Very happy with it. Recommend the SE over the SOC to anyone mulling it over.

18. shahpor

Hitman

Sorry for the hijack, but when I look at the GTX480 section of the website, the SE has gone?

Any idea why it went?

19. Spyke_UK

Hitman

Sold out?

20. paspc

Gangster

They were showing 1 left in stock when I ordered mine so I probably got the last one. Fingers crossed they will come back in stock for you. I very much recommend getting an SE over a SOC, in my case (and others on this forum) the difference was like night and day...