Gigabyte AM4 battery issue

Soldato
Hi Relentless,

A particular hourly* game lag/freezing lasting 2-3 seconds was introduced with Win 10 Creator's Update. I've got it. My friend has the same. Perhaps some similarity hardware-wise in both our systems (Z87 & 4770K v Z87 & 4790K/GTX 970/Samsung SSDs) but it only started happening with the CU.

I've been trying tweaks for over a month now, and even re-installed Win 10 (latest ISO available on Microsoft site which was CU), which didn't fix it.

* Not at 5 PM, 6PM etc. But every hour that passes since starting up the computer, or some process. It's on the dot after that, so I suspect some process but haven't been able to pin it down.

We notice it in GTA V too.

I could install a previous version and delay CU but I'm kind of interested in finding out what the issue is exactly. I have a suspicion that the whole "Game Mode" thing came about as a knee-jerk reaction to similar issues they noticed with the CU and they simply marketed a half-baked fix as a "new feature", which has the side-effect of improving fps on less powerful CPUs (but with the downside that it may affect TCP/IP processing and other things by restricting the CPU's ability to deal with things other than processing frames).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi Relentless,

A particular hourly* game lag/freezing lasting 2-3 seconds was introduced with Win 10 Creator's Update. I've got it. My friend has the same. Perhaps some similarity hardware-wise in both our systems (Z87 & 4770K v Z87 & 4790K/GTX 970/Samsung SSDs) but it only started happening with the CU.

I've been trying tweaks for over a month now, and even re-installed Win 10 (latest ISO available on Microsoft site which was CU), which didn't fix it.

* Not at 5 PM, 6PM etc. But every hour that passes since starting up the computer, or some process. It's on the dot after that, so I suspect some process but haven't been able to pin it down.

We notice it in GTA V too.

I could install a previous version and delay CU but I'm kind of interested in finding out what the issue is exactly. I have a suspicion that the whole "Game Mode" thing came about as a knee-jerk reaction to similar issues they noticed with the CU and they simply marketed a half-baked fix as a "new feature", which has the side-effect of improving fps on less powerful CPUs (but with the downside that it may affect TCP/IP processing and other things by restricting the CPU's ability to deal with things other than processing frames).

Interesting thanks for the information. I'll see if it happens one hour after firing a game up.

Not much similarity in our builds apart from the Samsung sad

I'll keep looking into it let me know if you find anything out please

cheers

Soldato
@ Relentless

Have had success with a few changes, no lag spikes since yesterday.

I took note of the time of an incident yesterday, and then scoured through Event Viewer folders looking for any events corresponding to the same time, finally finding several events in:

Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Cloudstore > Operational.

Looked up info on them and apparently they related to Windows Live Tiles' caching and synching. Tweaked the registry as explained here: http://innov8tiv.com/turn-off-disable-windows-10-live-tiles/ (if PushNotifications doesn't already exist there, create it as a key). Then made sure all tiles were turned off after a restart. Got my friend to do the same.

In about 4 hours of gaming after that, I only got one of those lag spikes, and my friend got none, so there had been a major improvement in terms of frequency of occurrence but obviously still something going on. This morning, I went to Services.msc and disabled and stopped Windows Search and SuperFetch. Then went to my drive's Properties and unchecked Indexing (Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed). After that played about 5 hours of GTA and experienced zero lag spikes which felt good after months of the opposite, and checked HWiNFO64 to see my drive's max Write Usage for that time was 97.1% instead of the usual 100% write usage which coincided with the lag spikes. My friend did get a couple of lag spikes today, which is still less than before. However, they hadn't disabled Windows Search/SuperFetch and drive Indexing yet (they've done so now).

So basically there you have a few things to try if you want, one by one, or in combination (presumably some of that stuff you'll have off already... I was surprised to see SuperFetch on when I thought it was off but then again I did carry out a fresh install recently and probably forgot to disable it).

Soldato
OP
@Danny75

Sorry for the late response my internet was down yesterday

I really appreciate the info I wont have chance to do any of that today but will go through it tomorrow night and let you know how I get on.

If you get or preferably dont get any lag spikes before tomorrow night would you mind letting me know please.

Thanks again for the info

Soldato
Sure thing. Nothing last night either. Nor my friend (after applying the further changes). And nothing this morning (just me). So quite confident we've cracked it (at least our issue, hope it helps with yours which may or may not be the same).

Soldato
OP
Sure thing. Nothing last night either. Nor my friend (after applying the further changes). And nothing this morning (just me). So quite confident we've cracked it (at least our issue, hope it helps with yours which may or may not be the same).

how have you been getting on mate? Must admit its too hot for me at the moment so I haven't touched a game since last week but it cools down toward the end of the week so I'm going to start tinkering then

Back
Top Bottom