Gigabyte Aorus Pro AC B550 NIC and USB

Associate
I set up my new motherboard a week ago and have two strange issues and am seeking advice on what to do next:

1) apparently the RealTek NIC causes the entire LAN network to crash, and it might be a prevalent issue across all these motherboards with the RealTek 2.5GE NIC. I've spent hours trying to rule out the cause of all my devices stopping communicating with each other, and it seems to be like it's my new motherboard. Should I keep troubleshooting or ask OC UK to change my board for something else, like an X570 instead?

2) I've noticed sometimes my mouse and/or keyboard would become unresponsive. in the same Reddit post above people mention they have similar issues and their 'solution' is to just stop using the USB ports? I bought the motherboard for it's abundance of USB ports so don't really have that luxury, anyone else have this issue and know of a proper solution?

I went from a 'problematic' x370 ASUS CH6 Hero, to a now potentially even more 'problematic' B550, I just want the basic stuff to work, not sure what to do next as this seems too much an ask from these motherboard manufacturers :(

Cheers.

Pet Northerner
Don
Grab the latest BIOS from the website and don't the the "search the web" function in the flashing tool. I found that by doing that my USB issues on my Gigabyte B550 went away.

Upgrading via the tool without a manual update didn't seem to get the latest BIOS.

Associate
OP
Grab the latest BIOS from the website and don't the the "search the web" function in the flashing tool. I found that by doing that my USB issues on my Gigabyte B550 went away.

Upgrading via the tool without a manual update didn't seem to get the latest BIOS.
I am using f13a which I downloaded from their websit and put on an HDD, which currently seems to be the latest BIOS. For now the USB issues seem to be quite limited but noticeable. E.g. when opening a new tab in a browser and I start typing, it would not register any keys for a few seconds or would then spam random key presses as if "stuck". Mouse freezes seem random and rare.

I have discovered that there is a newer NIC driver 1‎0.046.1231.2020, even though Windows Device Manager says version 10.39.212.2020 is the latest. Will install this and see if the supposed ARP Broadcast loops stop.

Pet Northerner
Don
I am using f13a which I downloaded from their websit and put on an HDD, which currently seems to be the latest BIOS. For now the USB issues seem to be quite limited but noticeable. E.g. when opening a new tab in a browser and I start typing, it would not register any keys for a few seconds or would then spam random key presses as if "stuck". Mouse freezes seem random and rare.

I have discovered that there is a newer NIC driver 1‎0.046.1231.2020, even though Windows Device Manager says version 10.39.212.2020 is the latest. Will install this and see if the supposed ARP Broadcast loops stop.

once I'm home from the office I'll double check to see what I;m on, it may be something you can try downgrading to?

Associate
OP
Updating the driver hasn't helped, the whole network lost connectivity, as soon as I unplugged the ethernet cable from the PC, it went back online.
On a recommendation, I've done a packet capture and am now reviewing, trying to make sense of the information in Wireshark.

For now, plenty of entries like this:

266 49.011349600 Giga-Byt_3e:2c:55 Broadcast ARP 42 Who has 169.254.255.255? Tell 192.168.178.29

I am still experiencing the USB issue.

Associate
OP
*update*

I've isolated my internet disconnection issues to the motherboard. It was taking out my entire FTTC connection the last few times, so I swapped it to my still-active Virgin Media modem to isolate.

It lost connectivity after downloading some large files and playing Stadia and the only way around the problem is unplugging the ethernet cable. Suffice it to say, the RealTek 2.5GbE is the problem, I've ordered a £10 NIC off of elsewhere as I fear going through an RMA would leave me for weeks without a working PC.

The USB issues, have apparently been acknowledged by AMD now, and hopefully a fix will be inbound, soon.

Associate
When my X570 Aorus Pro has the issue, I lose "AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible HC"s numbers 1 and 3 in the list. The second in the list is always fine. This is accompanied by my NIC dropping the connection becuase the device has "been removed", but I can usually bring it back by disabling and re-enabling it in Device Manager. Also, I get a raidport reset on disk 1, my S drive. Tried it both with and without the AMD chipset drivers, no difference. Also updated the NIC driver, but all that changed is the error message.

To try and guard against these constant failures, I've disabled USBs 1 and 3, and have installed a wifi card, disabling the LAN from the BIOS. This is just while I consider my options. Also, the Viper Steel RAM - won't run at XMP speeds (3600).

Seriously disappointed here. You pay a premium price for a supposedly premium product, and it's the least stable system I've ever had. I've been doing this for over 30 years, and worse - I'm gutted that so many other people are having the same issues and I could have read up on this beforehand if I'd looked.

I also got a BSOD when I unplugged my gamepad from the USB earlier to try and get it working on another port. Since then, I've had another 3 BSODs.

Code:
Miniport Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection, {0143ffce-51b5-483e-841f-e2d3f02960bc}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error

Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection
 The network driver has been stopped because the network adapter has been removed.

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued.

The IO operation at logical block address 0x5cafc0 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\0000003e) was retried.

Associate
@Saltank I remember bookmarking something about the Realtek 2.5Gb NIC some months ago. Maybe it helps: Not very widely known but to reduce latency on Intel NICs and avoid issues with Realtek NICs all options in the device for Offload, Interrupt Mitigation and power saving must be switched off.

As for USB you can try disbaling global c-state control/setting your primary x16 slot to pcie 3.0 speeds for the time being.

Associate
OP
When my X570 Aorus Pro has the issue, I lose "AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible HC"s numbers 1 and 3 in the list. The second in the list is always fine. This is accompanied by my NIC dropping the connection becuase the device has "been removed", but I can usually bring it back by disabling and re-enabling it in Device Manager. Also, I get a raidport reset on disk 1, my S drive. Tried it both with and without the AMD chipset drivers, no difference. Also updated the NIC driver, but all that changed is the error message.

To try and guard against these constant failures, I've disabled USBs 1 and 3, and have installed a wifi card, disabling the LAN from the BIOS. This is just while I consider my options. Also, the Viper Steel RAM - won't run at XMP speeds (3600).

Seriously disappointed here. You pay a premium price for a supposedly premium product, and it's the least stable system I've ever had. I've been doing this for over 30 years, and worse - I'm gutted that so many other people are having the same issues and I could have read up on this beforehand if I'd looked.

I also got a BSOD when I unplugged my gamepad from the USB earlier to try and get it working on another port. Since then, I've had another 3 BSODs.

Code:
Miniport Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection, {0143ffce-51b5-483e-841f-e2d3f02960bc}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error

Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection
 The network driver has been stopped because the network adapter has been removed.

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued.

The IO operation at logical block address 0x5cafc0 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\0000003e) was retried.

Fascinating to know that it's not just RealTek, but considering how many months it's been I don't have high hopes on a fix anytime soon. There have been BIOS updates to fix the USB issues for this board (i recently tried "F13d") and it's not fixed.

@Saltank I remember bookmarking something about the Realtek 2.5Gb NIC some months ago. Maybe it helps: Not very widely known but to reduce latency on Intel NICs and avoid issues with Realtek NICs all options in the device for Offload, Interrupt Mitigation and power saving must be switched off.

As for USB you can try disbaling global c-state control/setting your primary x16 slot to pcie 3.0 speeds for the time being.

I have disabled all those things and was able to repeat the problem after downloading some large files and playing Stadia for 20 minutes, on a separate internet connection (Virgin Media) using their own Hitron modem/hub with no other devices connected.

I tried disabling those changes @GregI, didn't help me unfortunately.

Is this how other people are seeing the issue? (Sorry for the 4k.. ahem.. might do a better one later):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAiIWTJagKs

No, I don't hear the USB disconnect sound. I might be opening a new tab in a browser and the mouse would skip for up to a second, or the keyboard would not recognise keys, freeze or repeat a random key I pressed for a few seconds.

Associate
Just got this from Gigabyte.... I'd advise you guys to fill out the AMD bug report:

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing USB connectivity issues with your AMD 500 Series chipset motherboard.

Our engineering team is activity investigating this issue with high priority and we will provide an update once a fix is available.

Based on user feedback we have received; the suggestions below could improve or resolve general USB device stuttering issues.
  1. Verify that your motherboard is updated to the latest BIOS version and configured using optimized/factory default settings.
    • Check your motherboard manufacturer’s website for BIOS update and download instructions.
  2. Check if your Windows 10 is on the latest build and fully up to date.
    • For information on updating Windows 10, please refer to Microsoft article: Update Windows 10
  3. Ensure that the Ryzen chipset driver from AMD is installed and up to date.
    • Latest Ryzen chipset driver version is 2.13.27.501 and can be download here.
If you continue to experience USB connectivity problems after following the suggestions above, you may consider using either of the following workaround:

1. Set PCIe mode from Gen4/Auto to Gen 3 in the BIOS

2. Disable Global C-State in the BIOS.
These settings are found in the BIOS. Please refer to the motherboard user manual if more information is needed.

If you would like to assist our engineers with the investigation, please submit a report using the https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/amdbrt

Download and information about the tool are available in the provided link.
When filing your bug report on this USB connectivity issue, please make sure to select the following options and provide detailed reproduction steps.
  1. For Affected AMD Applications, choose Platform / Chipset Driver

2. For Symptoms, choose Poor Performance or Stuttering
We appreciate your help and patience while we work to resolve your issue.

Associate
Also, had a bit of a breakthrough here - last night, I disconnected the extension cable I use for my oculus, and was surprised to hear it make the disconnected sound. The headset wasn't even connected, so how would it know a dumb cable was disconnected. According to USB Tree View, it actually presents itself as a hub !

Since then, I haven't had one single issue. Now, this is VERY early days, but I'm cautiously optimistic....

In the BIOS, I also set "Power Supply Idle Control" to "Typical Current Idle"
Set ACPI-CST C1 Declaration to Disabled

That's it. I'm running PCIE on Gen4 and at the moment, things are actually looking OK...

Associate
Anybody know if the 10.47 update from realtek fixed the issues? I have this board ready for a game/stream build when my o11d arrives next week and concerned that the ineternet connection will be dropping out whilst I'm live.

Associate
I never experiences the issue of taking the whole network down. But intermittent disconnects, sometimes requiring disabling/enabling the adapter were common and easy to trigger in couple minutes with qBittorrent.
10.47 update itself made no difference

But 10.47 + one setting tweak (Interrupt moderation Off), haven't had a disconnect since.

Back
Top Bottom