gigabyte ax370 k5 vs 5?

Soldato
OP
Starting to regret purchase of my gaming K5. Bios is slow and clunky and has several of the same entries via different menus.

When I set ram volts to 1.35 within the voltage control its fine. move into memory timings and its stuck at 1.2mhz in the 'Profile DDR voltage'.

I do like the aesthetics of this board. Could do with more fan headers but I am torn between waiting to see if they iron these bugs out or the Gigabyte brand of boards that I used to like has gone down the swanny,
not regretting it as much as I'm regretting my gaming 5 - it died after about 3 days use and to make things more awkward the cpu is watercooled :mad::(

Associate
Sorry to hear that Wango. Are you going for a straight swap or are you considering an alternative board/manufacturer.

EDIT: nvm just read your other thread.

I'm personally thinking of returning my board and going for the gaming 5/other brand or returning my ram and getting the 8 pack Samsung ram as I need to use Ryzen master just for 2666mhz.

In fact I am a bit peeved that I opted for the K5 thinking it was a more better future proof board over the b350's and thus went for a cheaper 1600 chip instead of a 1700.
Imo it appears to be just a glorified b350 and to boot it isn't as high a priority when it comes to fixes as the gaming 3,5 and 7. Buyers remorse.

Doesn't help that I read on the gigabyte forums that compatibility and bios fixes are slowing down as they focus on Threadripper.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry to hear that Wango. Are you going for a straight swap or are you considering an alternative board/manufacturer.

EDIT: nvm just read your other thread.

I'm personally thinking of returning my board and going for the gaming 5/other brand or returning my ram and getting the 8 pack Samsung ram as I need to use Ryzen master just for 2666mhz.

In fact I am a bit peeved that I opted for the K5 thinking it was a more better future proof board over the b350's and thus went for a cheaper 1600 chip instead of a 1700.
Imo it appears to be just a glorified b350 and to boot it isn't as high a priority when it comes to fixes as the gaming 3,5 and 7. Buyers remorse.

Doesn't help that I read on the gigabyte forums that compatibility and bios fixes are slowing down as they focus on Threadripper.

shame to here, mines been flawless, Sold I on and Owner now hits 4Ghz with his 1600 Ryzen 5 and pushed 16GB Corsair LXP from 3000 to 3200 manually

Soldato
OP

haven't decided what to do yet. same as yourself I went with a higher end board to last me into zen2 at least. when i 'calm' down I might just do a straight swap just a bit undecided (highly peeved at the moment at having to drain my watercooling loop) - still a gigabyte fan and up to the board fell off a cliff it seemed to be pretty damn decent for the money

Associate
shame to here, mines been flawless, Sold I on and Owner now hits 4Ghz with his 1600 Ryzen 5 and pushed 16GB Corsair LXP from 3000 to 3200 manually

K5?.

I have an am4 bracket coming for my Noctua nh-d14 which ill test the 1600 with.

I am at 3.8 easily on auto at just under 1.3v with the wraith. If i get 4ghz or 3.9ghz and good temps ill just go with the 8pack ram and keep the board as my ocd cant handle my ram not doing what it says on the tin!.

Soldato
K5?.

I have an am4 bracket coming for my Noctua nh-d14 which ill test the 1600 with.

I am at 3.8 easily on auto at just under 1.3v with the wraith. If i get 4ghz or 3.9ghz and good temps ill just go with the 8pack ram and keep the board as my ocd cant handle my ram not doing what it says on the tin!.

K5- used Ryzen Master for OC as I knew the board BIOS limits/features etc and because I was selling on its easier to manage with aftercare help via that then going through and changing all the Bios. but ram was XMP but as I passed it on to him, he got the ram faster - didn't ask which method He used but long as its stable for himself .
Major issue we were having was the XTR 580s and not ryzen platform lol
I had to use 1.308v for 3.8 , again ryzen master then passed it on to himself- was using Corsair 240 AIO with uprated RGB fans and was rather cool with Liquid metal paste used

as for ram, Think I posted on the K7 owners thread but another brand got 3400hz + working on the Aorus boards and released a spreadsheet for it

Associate
Great I'll take a look at that thread.
Cheers.

Edit: Purchased a Gaming 5 yesterday. 3200mhz XMP straight out of the box. Now to return my K5.

Last edited:
Associate
Double post

So purchased a gaming 5 and built it yesterday.
Using the F5 bios my ram ran at 3200mhz!.

Fast forward to today and 24 hours later my motherboard is dead :(

PSU was tested on my sons computer as I originally feared it was that but no.

No power, no illumination of the on board power switch.

Im starting to think I should have paid extra (again) for the CH6

Soldato
OP
Double post

So purchased a gaming 5 and built it yesterday.
Using the F5 bios my ram ran at 3200mhz!.

Fast forward to today and 24 hours later my motherboard is dead :(

PSU was tested on my sons computer as I originally feared it was that but no.

No power, no illumination of the on board power switch.

Im starting to think I should have paid extra (again) for the CH6
Almost identical to what happened to mine. Though mems were only running @ 2933. Worked flawlessly for 2 days then poof dead. System clock started losing time, windows would shut but everything else stayed on. Had to turn the psu off to shut it all down then wouldn't turn back on. Changed out the bios battery, turned on/off once normally (but system time was still going wonky) then did the same thing - wouldn't power off completely. Though I was getting power led on the board light up and USB devices were getting power. But the 2 leds to indicate which bios was in use weren't showing anything so guessing bios corruption maybe/somehow. Proper pain as I had the cpu on a custom water loop. Currently waiting on rma.

Associate
How did you update your bios Wango out of curiosity.

I personally used their @BIOS which worked fine on the K5 and seemed to work fine too on the G5.

3200mhz only worked on the F5 bios. Xmp and et voila full fat 3200mhz out of the box.

F6g beta and the official F6 bios somehow borked it frustratingly so I reverted back to F5.

To think I purchased these boards thinking should anything go wrong then its at least an UK rma centre.

Its payday this Friday. 1600 is going back as is the K5 and G5. Im thinking 1700 and either the taichi or ch6.

Soldato
OP
Updated with qflash (I think that's the name?) from within bios itself. Very easy to do.

Same as yourself, UK based rma centre. Active rep on the forums. Any problems should be a breeze......in theory.

Posted about my woes on here. Got a reply from said Rep with a link to arrange rma directly. Email the link, get a reply saying we don't normally deal direct with customers but in this instance we will. If you pay to send the board back and 15quid for return.....or arrange drop off and collection with the suggested courier being myhermes. Yea that's not happening.

Associate
Q-flash in bios is very easy , I just load up a new bios on a small flash pen drive each time

Save using the flash software when in windows :)
Also less change of something going Wrong due to no drivers being loaded.

All fine here with F6 , Running at close to 3000mhz , Motherboard all fine

Try the Clear Bios Jumper to reset back to defort then update to f6 & see if you
can boot into windows ,Don't enable XMP

If that don't work then its the motherboard or CPU Faulty

Last edited:
Associate
Can you confirm for me Darren that when its powered off the power button on board is lit?.

I'll give the battery out/cmos a go but it looks dead to me sadly.

Associate
Can you confirm for me Darren that when its powered off the power button on board is lit?.

I'll give the battery out/cmos a go but it looks dead to me sadly.

Yep ,When PC is off it should have the top right Red Power Light on for Stand by 5v
When PC is Turned on you should have the Top right red Power Light on & Middle bios orange light on with bottom LED display on.
1dztQ0B.jpg.png

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers Darren.

Im going to try the board out the case as I have a RMA for it anyway. I don't expect any miracles.

Sadly the river place are collecting my K5 tomorrow and 1600 too. Looks like I have a week of having to conversate with the Mrs.

Curious what case is that m8?

Associate
Soldato
OP
I love it for the Easy quick rel side panel , no front fans or panel ,PSU in its own top metal caddy
yea, the 303 uses a very similar layout just a slightly larger footprint. bit fiddly to work in initially (only cause I watercooled) but lovely looking cases and loads of room if going air or aio. a whole lot of case for the money

Associate
That's a very nice case for not a lot of money. Time to get shot of my old, heavy and rather beat up 800d case.

I am partly to blame for my scenario. I purchased the 1600 last Friday and by that evening it had dropped in price by £14.
The only way to get it cheaper was to refuse delivery and order it at the cheaper price. I just wanted my shiney shiney seeing as it was a Saturday delivery.

When I decided I wasn't 100% happy with the K5 I decided I may as well send back the cpu back too.

With my new shiney G5 working great, well at least yesterday, I thought the £350 or so would cover a nice Ryzen 1700. Come to think of it, it should actually cover the cost as well as the 101 case

Back
Top Bottom