Gigabyte B450 Pro, 2600X 16gb, 3000mhz ram OC

Associate
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £472.42 (includes shipping: £10.50)

I have the above items arriving today to upgrade my PC from old X58 i7 920 and 12gb ddr3 1600mhz ram.

First thing i will be doing on the install is updating the bios to the latest from the manufacturer and it will be a fresh install of windows 10 onto the SSD.

Doing some reading about the RAM will only run at the 3000mhz if it is overclocked to do so, otherwise it will run at a lower speed. What do i need to do to get the memory running at full speed? I'm not fussed about overclocking the CPU at this point as only using the stock cooler with the 2600X

The blurb from the motherboard says "The four RAM slots support up to 64 GB DDR4-RAM with a clock frequency of up to 2.667 MHz and this can be increased to up to 3.200 MHz with overclocking. " Is it just a case of enabling XMP and that's all i need to do?

Last edited:
Soldato
If the motherboard plays nice with the RAM it should just be a case of enabling XMP.
Ryzen can be picky with ram, is the ram you have officially supported by the board?

Associate
OP
If the motherboard plays nice with the RAM it should just be a case of enabling XMP.
Ryzen can be picky with ram, is the ram you have officially supported by the board?

I have no idea to be honest. Ocuk sell bundles of the cpu with this ram, but with Asus boards. Not sure how to find out if the gigabyte board supports it.

Associate
OP
I'm not interested in overclocking the cpu, I'm happy with everything running the best they can at stock. I know the cpu autoboosts itself, my concern is that I have 3000mhz ram that won't be running at 3000mhz

Soldato
No need to mess with the bios unless the system isn't behaving. If the pc boots fine and the ram runs at the rated speed etc once you enable xmp then leave the bios alone imo.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks guys, XMP it is.

The reason i want to update the bios before doing anything is because of the updates provided by the latest bios for my board:

F3b
8.26 MB
2018/10/04
Asia China America Europe
  1. Enhance CPU Vcore voltage control
F2
8.26 MB
2018/08/08
  1. Improve memory compatibility.
F1
8.26 MB
2018/06/20
  1. First Release
  2. AGESA 1.0.0.4
Obviously if the board is shipped with the up-to-date bios then i wont touch it, but considering the updates relate to memory compatibility and CPU core voltage control, i think i'd rather update it so the components run to the best of their ability.

Associate
OP
Flashed bios with no issue. Installed windows no issue. Back into bios, enabled XMP profile 1 saved and exit and no issues. Showing 3000mhz instead of 2400mhz on ram. The bios was on the original F1 so I'm glad I did the BIOS update.

Associate
OP
i'm not really interested in overclocking. i'm happy with them running at max stock speeds. Fired up the vive last night and the image quality is noticably better and smoother so i'm very happy with my purchase :)

Associate
i'm not really interested in overclocking. i'm happy with them running at max stock speeds. Fired up the vive last night and the image quality is noticably better and smoother so i'm very happy with my purchase :)

I'll order a similar build soon, do you play on 1440p or 4K?

Associate
OP
The gigabyte Aorus elite is on sale just now cheaper than the tomahawk but is out of stock, they'll probably get them back in stock pretty quick, i got the last PRO board they had in stock when i ordered on tuesday and they are showing as back in stock today.

Back
Top Bottom