Gigabyte DS3/DS4/DQ6

Man of Honour
Could someone please give me some insight into the differences between the above three boards, and whether it's worth getting one over the other. I know the DS3 seems to be the most popular one, but the others have more features.

My current thinking is that the DS4 has better chipset cooling, but I might be wrong. I'm not sure of a reason to get the DQ6, but I might have missed something.

Thanks. :)

Soldato
I am in the market for a good mobo myself and after a brief look around on here and a conversation with a mate apparently the best board out at the moment is the DS3 rev 2.

According to easyrider the DS3 is just as good at 70 quid as the 180 quid EVGA 680i. Probably worth thinking about.

SiirusB

Man of Honour
OP
I originally was going to get the EVGA. Someone put me right on that. Glad they did. However, I'm not sure how I can tell in advance which revision I'd end up with. :)

Does the DS3 have the same chipset/PWM cooling as the DS4 now?

I had considered each of the boards mentioned but opted for the ds3 purely because I didnt need the othere features the others had. Have a e6300 running at 450 with crucial anniv ram. No cooling issues using freezer 7 and two 120 mm case fans. If you need the other features than let that be the deciding factor. All seem to clock well from research that I did.

Dq6 iirc is supposed to be better for E6600 and above.

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah, I'm not sure about the DQ6, but the DS4 appears to have a heatpipe cooler on the southbridge and PWM, which isn't present in the DS3 pics. This seems to me to be a sensible idea.

Can someone with a newer revision please DS3 tell what cooling it has as standard. :)

As far as I can tell, the DS4 and the DQ6 are virtually identical, so I'm confused as to what I'd be paying extra for. :)

Soldato
the DS4 has extra cooling and raid/firewire.
currently have both here, same systems, same cooling, both run a E6300 at 3.2GHz

iirc the DS4 has another full lenth PCI-e slot (not sure what x it is, I use it for a x700 and my 2nd monitor)

Man of Honour
OP
JudgeC said:
Does anyone know which revision of the DS3 OcUK is shipping. There seems to be three on the web site (Rev 1.0, 2.0 & 3.33).
I'd guess the 2.0 as I believe the 3.3 is new.

Yes, the DS4 supports Crossfire (which the DS3 doesn't). Don't need that just yet though (but might someday).

Soldato
Berserker said:
I'd guess the 2.0 as I believe the 3.3 is new.

Yes, the DS4 supports Crossfire (which the DS3 doesn't). Don't need that just yet though (but might someday).
dual x1950s...........................
just think of the WUs!

Back
Top Bottom