1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gigabyte G1 or XFX RS Edition RX 480?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by roadie, Apr 12, 2017.

1. roadie

Mobster

I'm considering the two above cards from OcUK, as they will fit in my case. Longer cards will not :(

Gigabyte G1
    XFX RS Edition

I'm aware of some issues with RX 480 cards not holding their full speeds and performance suffering as a result. This LAN OC review shows that the Gigabyte card consumes less power and that it's cooler can tame the RX 480 chip better at full speed.

What do you think would be the better bet?

2. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

@Gibbo said jes dropping the price of the G1 to £209 I believe which makes it the same price as 4GB models. V.good deal

G1 cooler also does the VRM so as a whole little bit more hotter. I replaced paste with grizzlie

3. roadie

Mobster

Yeah they are both £210 now. I'm wondering whether waiting for an RX 580 might be a good thing to do, but it looks like they will be roughly 25% more expensive.

4. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

Have to factor in again the ££, heard rates for $ and Euro but since all cards are bought in $ , anything could happen

5. opethdisciple

Capodecina

You need to wait for 580 launch before doing anything. It's on the 18th so no long now.

Then see how the land lies.

6. Gibbo

Commissario

I can guarantee you they are more expensive. :)

480 G1 at £209.99 is a great deal! :)

7. Spuddy

Wise Guy

when can we pre-order them?

8. Gibbo

Commissario

The new card being rumours from AMD is already in stock and available on 18th April. ;)
    It will cost more than current RX 480 G1 though.

9. roadie

Mobster

Is it a better card than the XFX though!? I'd like to avoid throttling and just have a card that runs solidly at the advertised speed over hours of gaming.

10. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

Mine didn't, customer loved it and built a few more based around it, although cooler was a once off

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/budget-build-ensco-100.18760721/page-2

Didn't even bother with a fan profile or touching volts/over clocking . seems a clients son's gaming session lasts 5-7 hours... Must be a teenager haha

Only problem it had was Gigabyte going the complete opposite to everyone else like MSI and EVGA and having RAM, VRM and Chip all actively cooled under the main heatsink, so was warmer then other cards due to it , twin fans were fine, just heatsink could of been longer like the 1060 .

Only problem with that , if it does drop in price as @Gibbo mentioned Miners will have it before you can think Old Gen is worth the Price over new gen

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  11. roadie

Mobster

Wow that is something else! Nicely done man.

Having spent time researching last night, the Gigabyte definitely looks the way to go. It has been supported with new BIOS updates and is the top of the line card from that manufacturer.

12. Heinz57

Gangster

Just got the Gigabyte G1 to tide me over until I see what Vega is like.

Seems decent enough, can't feel any difference over my now dead 390, but it's a little bit quieter and it's the first graphics card I've had in ages without excessive amounts of coil whine (might just be lucky with this card).

13. RavenXXX2

Capodecina

AMD pull a fast one and rebrand old cards and have a cheek to charge more for them, that's progress.

14. Ion Sights

Associate

Well it wouldn't be the first time xD

15. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

Didn't have any with a Client build and that was using the cheap Kolink brand :)
    Interested how you get on with OC and voltage as I never got to play with it

Cooler is solid as I'm guessing you seen, just got a bad rep at the start due to cooling all three it should of been slightly bigger, hence now it looks like they've taken feed back in for the 500 series

16. silversurfer

Capodecina

My theory on that would be it relates to vega release and they dont want to compete with their own product line on price. The real settled price after launch vs demand will be something else and of course also relys on our exchange rate to dollar.

My old XFX card impressed me by lasting so well, glad I never sold it. At one time XFX had a lifetime warranty, I dont think thats there anymore but I think they make their cards to last

17. mattyfez

Sgarrista

Skylake /kaby lake? Lol I don't think you can blame AMD any more than you can blame Intel, or nvidia, or any profit making company lol!

What you choose to buy, that's on you.