Gigabyte GA z170x Gaming 7 bios update

Associate
Hi all, I'm new here but built a few rigs over the years. The latest is causing me a problem. Turns out that I was mislead by the Gigabyte website.

It stated that my CPU (Intel i7-7700 Kabylake) needes a bios update in order to be supported. This can be done via Q Flash it stated.

However now I've built the rig I have discovered that I am unable to get the bios because the CPU is not supported until it is updated. The computer starts but nothing is outputted to the monitor.

Ive seen on a few other forums that if I put a Skylake processor in I can then update the bios. However I shouldnt have to spend £50+ just to update my bios.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Many Thanks

Man of Honour
Someone on here had the same problem and Giga-man arranged a return of the board to Gigabyte for the latest bios to be flashed to it. Part of the service that Gigabyte provides now I believe. A far better option would be for other manufacturers to implement something like Asus USB flashback that doesn't even need a cpu installed to flash the bios.

***Edit*** Here you go, it's in this thread.

Associate
Hi all, I'm new here but built a few rigs over the years. The latest is causing me a problem. Turns out that I was mislead by the Gigabyte website.

It stated that my CPU (Intel i7-7700 Kabylake) needes a bios update in order to be supported. This can be done via Q Flash it stated.

However now I've built the rig I have discovered that I am unable to get the bios because the CPU is not supported until it is updated. The computer starts but nothing is outputted to the monitor.

Ive seen on a few other forums that if I put a Skylake processor in I can then update the bios. However I shouldnt have to spend £50+ just to update my bios.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Many Thanks

Hello Mike,

We haven't tried to mislead you, just sometimes boards can be held in stock for a while resulting in older BIOS on boards. This of course means the older BIOS may not support newer CPU's. Contact the below e-mail address and I will make sure we collect, update and send back your boards ASAP.

Please can you make sure in your e-mail you reference this conversation.

[email protected]

Thanks

Associate
OP
Thanks @GIGA-Man ive just emailed the address you said.

I understand that the units are shipped to retailers and can sit there for a while, just frustrating when I decided to build it on a saturday afternoon leaving me with no support until this morning.

Associate
OP
Just to let you know @GIGA-Man that i got my board back this morning and it worked like a charm. Currently installing windows as we speak.

However for some reason it would only accept 1 of my 4 sticks of RAM and it had to be in port 3. The machine just kept restarting. I loaded the optimized defaults in the bios as a precaution. Will try the rest once windows is installed

Back
Top Bottom