Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3

Associate
Hello Ladies and Gents

A couple of months back i brought a Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 (Sorry for posting an outside link i could not find the mother board on the website)

** Links to competitors is not allowed **

I also purchased a eVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD SuperClocked (Again sorry for outside link)

** Links to competitors is not allowed **

The GPU is a bit bulky and i wanted to run 2 of them in SLI. My question is will 2 of them fit on to the MoBo i brought?

I hope someone has the answer because id hate to buy another only to find they wont fit also if someone knows that they wont fit can they recomend a MoBo they will fit on.

Thanks a lot.

Caporegime
You can always link direct to the manufacturer;)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3856#sp

As for your question, the GTX570's are a dual slot thickness, so all that will happen is that you will block the 1XPCI-E slot between the top two PCI-E slots and the third PCI-E 16X lenght slot

You will want to use the top two slots as they wili operate at equal 8X bandwidth when two cards are fitted, the other 16XPCI-E slot only gets 4X bandwidth which drops when th second slot is filled,

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8)
* The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
* The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX1_2 slot. When PCIEX1_2 slot is populated, the PCIEX4 slot will operate at up to x1 mode

What PSU do you have for this? a good 750W+ one is needed.

So what you will have is something like this, the gap between the two cards will be a little smaller, my image isnt to scale.

Untitled-62.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply and again sorry for the links.

I have an 850w XFX Pro PSU and the image you posted is very helpful because i was unsure of which of the other 2 slot to use.

Will the air flow to the slot 1 card be effected much if so is there some sort of additional coller i could use to help cool it?

Caporegime
Good PSU, no worries with that.

The gap between the cards will be enough to assist airflow into them, and they dump heat outside the case at the rear so there isnt much left inside. Look at images of GTX570 SLI and you can see that people have cards nudging right up next to each other without issues - http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gt...t=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBQQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=1117

Is the case and its airflow sufficient?

Associate
OP
Cheers, i spent 3 months researching each component i brought whilst i saved the money to buy them. Its my first build so i am still a little unsure of the hardware i brought.

The rest of the hardware are

intel i5 2500 (i will upgrade to an i7 once iv sorted out the graphics)
8Gig (2x4Gig) corsair vengeance (enough for what im doing at the moment)
750Gig Western Digital HD (will add an SSD next year)
Samsung DvdRW drive

Caporegime
Is that a i5 2500K?

For a gaming system a i7 2600/K isnt needed, the extra features it has (hyperthreading, 100Mhz extra core speed and extra 2NB cache) make no difference.

Caporegime
Back
Top Bottom