Gigabyte Gaming 7 x399, TR 1950x No Post

Associate
Hi guys, just ordered a new Threadripper system & having a right 'mare with it, can't get it post.
Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabuyte Aorus Gaming 7 x399
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...399-socket-tr4-atx-motherboard-mb-55s-gi.html

CPU: Threadripper 1950x
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-tr4-processor-retail-cp-3a7-am.html

RAM: Geil Dragon AMD 2400mhz, 32gb, dual channel 2*16gm
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/geil...l-kit-white-gawb432gb2400c16dc-my-20l-gl.html

Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 240
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/enermax-liqtech-tr4-240-cpu-water-cooler-240mm-hs-00a-en.html

PSU: EVGA 750 GQ Gold

GPU: Single Geforce 1080Ti

Symptoms
- Powers up then cycles through various codes on the diagnostic LED: 65, 92, 3F, 3E, 14, 15. Never settles on one.
- CPU led stays on a while, then RAM led blinks, then repeat.
- Connected fans spin, however, decorative LEDs around all the slots don't light up, nor does ENERMAX logo on fan pump. However, the cooler also allows for direct connection of pump to PSU via molex & displays steady light, so I know that's not the problem.

Known good
- PSU works fine with my OC'd 3930k setup
- So does GPU
- Cooler works, also had an older compatable cooler, which works too
- All case headers work fine with other system

What I've tried already
- Built out of case
- Tried each stick of RAM individually, following mobo manual positioning
- Disconnected everything non-essential
- Tried reset CMOS switch
- Disassembled & re-assembled everything
- There are no bent pins on the mobo & I am 100% confident I have the CPU & cooler seated correctly

Conculsion
I'm pretty sure it's either a faulty mobo, or RAM incompatabilty, just wondering which sounds more likely to you more experienced people, especially those who know the Gaming 7.
At this stage I'm not sure which to try next:
- RMA the board
- Return the memory & buy one off the QVL compatability list, like this one:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/avex...channel-kit-avd4uz126661708g-4-my-13b-ar.html

Fortunately, I have been able to re-assemble my 3930k system, so at least I have a working machine for now. Unfortunately, I don't have enough parts to have both systems up at once, which makes for lots of tedious disassembly & re-assembly for testing.
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated !

Last edited:
Caporegime
@GIGA-Man

Looks like you've tried everything that I would have suggested (pretty sure if you dont connect the 8pin ATX it doesn't even get as far in the boot procedure as you have).

SO I think maybe RMA the board to Gigabyte and also give them the cpu+Ram for testing.

Associate
OP
Thanks very much for your responses, guys.
I forgot to add that I had both the 8 & 4 pin auxillliary CPU power connected.
Obviously the 8 & 6 pin VGA power as well.

So what do you think my next move should be ?
RMA the board to OCUK ?

Or return the RAM & swap for a different set ?

Or RMA both & let them test ?

I've never done an RMA before, so not sure how it works.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would buy another set of RAM that is know to be compatible and RMA the RAM you have imo, far more simple.

It's one of those if board /ram and CPU can make it to RMA center then it can be tested across the board. My end up throwing useful info to gigabyte to roll out to all board owners through testing and bios update or could simply be dead ram, board or cpu . More the problem can be identified and dealt with the better then swept under the rug :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies everyone.
For now I have ordered the Avexir RAM, which is on the Compatiblity list. It should arrive tomorrow, so if it doesn't work, I'll know there is a problem with the board.

@GIGA-Man - I am using whatever bios came in the board, since I can't get to bios, I don't know which that is.

I will test the new RAM tomorrow & get back to you.

I am close enough to the support centre that I could drop it there if necessary.

Associate
OP
So, the new Avexir from the Support list came and......
..... still no post :(

One change, however - if I use just 2 of the sticks, I get a fairly steady 'CO' diagnostic on the LED ('Reserved').
Also, the CPU LED is steady & the DRam LED doesn't come on.

Seems to me it's got to be a motherboard or CPU issue.
In my experience faulty CPUs are very rare but we will see.

Need to proceed with the RMA to Gigabyte UK - GIGA-man can you advise ?

Associate
OP
The misery continues :(
Today got a new replacment board (Thanks OCUK & Gigabyte for the good customer support).

The problem is exactly the same !
steady 'C0' diagnostic code, steady CPU_LED lit up on the board, indicating a CPU problem.
Pretty certain the memory is fine, now it's from the support list & no errors indicating memory problem.

I'm honestly starting to think I have a faulty CPU, even though I know they're rare as hen's teeth.

What do people reckon ? RMA the CPU or send the board, CPU & RAM back to OCUK & pay them to assemble and test as a bundle ?

In 15 years of self building, never had a problem like this before.

Only other thing I can think is those once-in-a-blue-moon cases where a PSU is randomly incompatable with a certain motherboard.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I think it must be.
The board is behaving just as it should if there was a faulty cpu.
I guess they are big complex dies.

Caporegime
I was going to ask if maybe you were over-tightening the cooler, thus bending the board pcb, thus making the CPU pins not make contact.

Then I remembered this is threadripper and not Intel.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I'm pretty much 100% everything is right.
The CPU tray slides nicely in on the rails, then clunks in place at the end.
The carrier tray clips down properly with the blue tabs - everything lines up.
I tighten the 3 screws in the right order with the torx torque driver, until it clicks.
The cooler screws in no problems.
I can't see how there can be a problem with the seating of the CPU.
Again, I checked the new motherboard pins & they are all fine.

Back
Top Bottom