Gigabyte P31 questions

Soldato
Ok, so ive convinced myself i think i want a new mobo.

Im on a tight budget so have been looking at the Gigabyte P31 board as for £55 it seems a bargain and the reviews ive seen indicate its a decent clocker for quads

But ive checked out the gigabyte website and this worries me :

Because of chipset limitations, do not populate both DIMM sockets of the same channel (e.g. DDRII1 and DDRII2), or populate 4 DIMM sockets with double-sided memory modules to prevent system's failure to start or incorrect detection of memory modules. Please refer to the user manual for the memory configurations table.

* Because of chipset limitations, when using FSB 1333 MHz CPU with populating all DIMM sockets, memory frequency will be reduced from the original, and system instability or incorrect detection of memory module may be occur.
Please refer "Memory Support List" for memory support information.

What does this mean?

I cant use all 4 sticks of my Geil ULL RAM?

Soldato
Perhaps so, I don't know about those types of boards but I think you can still achieve a higher speed by just raising the fsb while keeping the fsb to ram ratio as low as possible.

On the other hand I don't know, don't have much experiance with the lower end chipsets.
Anybody with a P31 chipset here that can carify?

Associate
I have this board, but I only run it with 2 sticks of RAM and it's really good. BUT if it was me and I had 4 sticks then I'd spend just a bit more for a board that will work with 4 - GA-P35-DS3L.

Back
Top Bottom