• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti Windforce sounds like dishwasher

Soldato
I've got an interesting issue with my Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti. I'm sure I've bored everyone to death with it by now but noise is a thing for me. I have a fanless CPU cooler (Nofan CR-95) and the case fans in my Silverstone FT05 are off (I can switch them on). The fans on the RTX obviously come on when I'm gaming, but I've noticed that they intermittently come on when in desktop mode. They only come on for a second or two and then stop and it's the middle one first then the bottom (the card is mounted vertically). And the effect is to make a brief noise not unlike a dishwasher. Given there are no other sources of noise in the room it is quite noticeable. And annoying. And when the middle one is on at a low speed for some time (like right now) it makes a sort of ticking noise.

Everything is on default, no overclocking, no fan profiles, no nothing.

Paging @GIGA-Man

Associate
I've got an interesting issue with my Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti. I'm sure I've bored everyone to death with it by now but noise is a thing for me. I have a fanless CPU cooler (Nofan CR-95) and the case fans in my Silverstone FT05 are off (I can switch them on). The fans on the RTX obviously come on when I'm gaming, but I've noticed that they intermittently come on when in desktop mode. They only come on for a second or two and then stop and it's the middle one first then the bottom (the card is mounted vertically). And the effect is to make a brief noise not unlike a dishwasher. Given there are no other sources of noise in the room it is quite noticeable. And annoying. And when the middle one is on at a low speed for some time (like right now) it makes a sort of ticking noise.

Everything is on default, no overclocking, no fan profiles, no nothing.

Paging @GIGA-Man

Sounds like extra value to me - the new Nvidia RTX series - plays games and washes your dishes!

Soldato
OP
Sounds like poor air flow in your case so the fans kick in for a second to cook the card

The air flow in my case is natural. It's a Silverstone FT05 so hot air should naturally rise up and away from the card. I'm not actually worried about the fans kicking in; I am annoyed at the noise they make when they do.

Sounds like extra value to me - the new Nvidia RTX series - plays games and washes your dishes!

LOL!

Soldato
OP
I'd monitor the gpu temps to see when it kicks in and then work off that.

The GPU temps are fine - the fan shouldn't be kicking in.

Sounds too much like a possible wife to me :p. Return it ASAP.

Actually, I may well be returning it. I've a few days yet. @GIGA-Man hasn't responded to the page. Turning on the case fan underneath and setting it to Medium speed improves the situation dramatically but I have to put up with the noise of the case fan.

Interestingly, if you put gigabyte rtx 2080 ti noise into Google, this thread comes up on the first page. That can't be good for Gigabyte. Add the word issue and this thread is the top entry.

Last edited:
Permabanned
The air flow in my case is natural. It's a Silverstone FT05 so hot air should naturally rise up and away from the card. I'm not actually worried about the fans kicking in; I am annoyed at the noise they make when they do.

Natural? I suppose that means no air moving in or out of the case so temps are going to gradually get hotter and hotter, I'm sure you can set the case fans up so air's slowly pulled in and pushed out of the case, that'll improve things. Relying on heat rising is okay if it's in an open air environment but in a case it has nowhere to go so it just builds up.

EDIT: Get a fan controller then you can set the fans up so they can get the air moving and remain silent or as near to silent as possible. I have a Corsair C70 case and I found that using every available fan slot with slow moving fans allowed me to get silent running. You should consider getting something like a Be Quiet cpu cooler rather than a fan less one. I was using this with my old 4790k @ 4.5ghz PC and the PC was as near to silent as you're going to get, I couldn't hear this cooler working. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/be-quiet-pure-rock-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-010-bq.html For the price it's a great cooler that lives up to the brands name. Something like this with a few slow moving case fans should solve the idling noise issue.

Last edited:
Associate
Natural? I suppose that means no air moving in or out of the case so temps are going to gradually get hotter and hotter, I'm sure you can set the case fans up so air's slowly pulled in and pushed out of the case, that'll improve things. Relying on heat rising is okay if it's in an open air environment but in a case it has nowhere to go so it just builds up.

It's just normal convection cooling - if you look at the Silverstone FT05 you can see that the heat does have somewhere to go. The entire top of the case is a grill, which allows the hot air to rise and actually leave the case relatively obstruction free - it shouldn't be getting trapped anywhere.

I agree that completely open air would be 'better' but this case seems to try to approximate what open air would be like.

Permabanned
It's just normal convection cooling - if you look at the Silverstone FT05 you can see that the heat does have somewhere to go. The entire top of the case is a grill, which allows the hot air to rise and actually leave the case relatively obstruction free - it shouldn't be getting trapped anywhere.

I agree that completely open air would be 'better' but this case seems to try to approximate what open air would be like.

Funnily enough I was just watching a Kit Guru review of the case, In comparison, if you look at the third picture of my case https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...wer-gaming-case-gunmetal-black-ca-068-cs.html you can see how open the roof is, Yet without a moving airflow the heat still builds up, causing my cpu and gpu to get hot to the point where they have to start spinning even in idle, I was recently talking about this happening in the Ryzen owners thread, my 2700x wraith cooler was driving me wild due to it constantly stopping and starting while the PC's idling. A fan less cpu heatsink will heat the case interior beyond how you want it if there's no positive air flow moving in and out of the case. Relying on heat rising isn't going to cut it.

Soldato
curious , have you tried placing the case down so cards are at the default Horizontal position of normal cases ?

I know mounting vertical is becoming more common but the FT05 as it both vertical and downwards - so to acting forces on bearings etc

personally, 2 slot coolers are a stretch like they were for 1080ti , would push Gaming card, plus the fact extra year warranty

Soldato
I know it is not the same thing, but I have just bought a Gigabyte 1080ti (like the one in the overclockers offer) and have a FT02 which is similar to the FT05 (just a bit bigger) and I don't have the problems you describe, the fans only start working when I open a video or start playing a game and the only noise you can hear is the fans blowing air, no ticking noises or anything like that. Previously I had a 980 Windforce and I didn't have this problem either. My system is not that dissimilar to yours too.

Soldato
OP
Natural? I suppose that means no air moving in or out of the case so temps are going to gradually get hotter and hotter,

The FT05 is a vertical case with air input at the bottom, the card mounted vertically, and the air outflow at the top. It makes use of the fact that hot air rises. Plus I don't get GPU sag.

P.B

P.B

Soldato
I had this with a 980ti matrix platinum card and it just kept ramping up the fan at idel even if pc wasn't used. Died shortly after

Back
Top Bottom