• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte RTX 2080Ti Gaming OC USB-C not working

Associate
Looks like this might be the best place to post as it seem's like I might be able to speak with the Gigabyte rep (GIGA-MAN)? I've seen posting on here although i'll gladly accept any input from any of the other members on here.

Figured it best to post here and get some further input before trying for an RMA on the card and being without it for a while. or have them not be able to replicate my issue.

I'll start with system specs:

Z390 Aorus Master on F8 BIOS although issue is still occurring on older beta and final BIOS revisions
9900K stock settings
32GB DDR4 XMP enabled 3200Mhz
Boot drive: Samsung 970 pro Nvme SSD
two crucial 500gb SSD's for games
Nvidia drivers: 916.67 issue still persists with older driver versions
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080Ti Gaming OC stock settings, Samsung memory, F10 BIOS according to Aorus Engine

So here is how I have come across the issue and some of the troubleshooting I've done I feel I've done everything to try and diagnose or fix the issue but at the moment i'm pretty sure my USB-C port on my 2080Ti is dead. I'll probably never use the port but on such an expensive bit of hardware I did expect it to just work...

So I sold my Gigabyte 1080Ti which I had since launch and was still working perfectly when I sold it and never had any issue with system stability or the card not performing as I would expect it to. boot times were around the 10 second mark to get to the windows log in screen without fast boot or ultra fast boot enabled in the BIOS about what i'd expect from most SSD's on the market.

Now I change to my Gigabyte 2080Ti and the first thing I notice is nearly a 2 minute boot time, now at first I put this down to windows being windows and doing an update or not liking that i'd changed a bit of hardware. Once in windows I downloaded the latest drivers and DDU and rebooted into safe mode and pulled my Ethernet cable so windows couldn't pull down out of date drivers.

The install went without a hitch showed the USB-C drivers installing and finished without any errors thought nothing of it games were performing as expected temps were solid fan noise isn't bad, great now I can enjoy some gaming. shut the machine down and come to start it up the next day and i'm back to the mega long boot times...

So I start looking over the machine trying to see what was casing it, my first thought was a bad windows update so I rolled back to my last stable restore point. That didn't fix the issue so I jumped into device manager and found this error.

Nvidia USB Type-C Port Policy controller shows a code 10 STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE

Nvidia USB 3.10 eXtensible host controller isn't showing any issues though.

So I thought ok windows might not like the hardware change and seeing as I don't keep anything important on the machine I did two fresh windows installations.

I did one with my Ethernet connected to allow windows to pull down updates ect and then installed the latest Nvidia drivers with the USB-C drivers selected both times I also tried doing an install every which way recommended custom ect and also tried unplugging everything but my keyboard and mouse to see if anything was conflicting.

The second time I installed windows I did it with no Ethernet got all the drivers from the motherboard website and the latest Nvidia drivers. Both windows installations did not resolve my issues. even doing update (let me pick from a list of available drivers from my computer) still results in the error 10

I've tried numerous USB devices in the port which I first tested in the motherboard port and confirmed they are working, as far as I'm aware the USB-C port on the card should also function like a normal USB-C port and not just for VR or display output. all the devices I tested did not work in any shape or form wouldn't even charge my phone.

Taking the USB-C driver off and uninstalling the driver gives me back my fast boot times but I don't really want to keep unticking the USB-C drivers every time there's a new Nvidia driver.

And taking the USB-C driver off gives me PCI Device error under other devices in device manager although Nvidia USB 3.10 eXtensible host controller remains without any issues

I really can't think of what else to test and looking at google it seems I'm the only one with this issue, leading me to believe I've been unlucky enough to get a card with a dead USB-C port but I suppose it is better than getting space invaders (touch wood)

If anyone has any other things I could try or if the gigabyte rep wants to contact me on here and grab the serial number of the card ect that would be greatly appreciated and hopefully should I have to RMA it they would be able to replicate my issue and get a new or repaired card back to me ASAP

Many thanks

Pasbags

Last edited:
Soldato
Well it looks like you have tried everything possible to solve this issue from reading your post, it does sound like the card might be at fault here.

Have you testing the card in another pc ?

Associate
OP
Well it looks like you have tried everything possible to solve this issue from reading your post, it does sound like the card might be at fault here.

Have you testing the card in another pc ?

Unfortunately not that's the only other bit of testing I can think to do, although every other port on the card is working and every other device is functioning as it should. it's possible my specific hardware config could be causing some kind of conflict but I feel it's most likely down to the card itself

Soldato
Unfortunately not that's the only other bit of testing I can think to do, although every other port on the card is working and every other device is functioning as it should. it's possible my specific hardware config could be causing some kind of conflict but I feel it's most likely down to the card itself

I think that should be your next option take it to a friend or maybe a local shop and ask if you can test your card out,other than that your only other option is to RMA the card but then they may or may not find anything wrong with it.

Associate
OP
I think that should be your next option take it to a friend or maybe a local shop and ask if you can test your card out,other than that your only other option is to RMA the card but then they may or may not find anything wrong with it.

Managed to dig an old FX 8350 system out of the loft same issue on that system, knowing my luck Gigabyte won't be able to replicate the issue haha. not sure what's actually up with it as the Nvidia USB 3.10 eXtensible host controller shows up so the USB-C controller isn't dead. must just be a poor solder joint on the port or a slightly corrupt USB-C controller.

Thanks for chiming into help though, i'll see if the gigabyte rep can chime in on what would be the best course of action as the card otherwise is functioning as it should. I'll either RMA it or wait for the space invaders to show up

Associate
OP
@GIGA-Man Could I get some input when you get a chance, I've tried just about everything and it just does not want to initialise the driver.

Wanted to see if you had any ideas before I go through the laborious RMA process

Associate
OP
Hello Pasbags,

I'll get this looked into ASAP and will come back to you.

Thanks very much :) I've just tried the 411.63 driver on the support page for the card and the USB-C driver now fails to install, just trying to gather as much info and make sure i'm doing anything wrong on my end before I send the card in.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
I’m sure you’ve probably already tried, but if not, have you installed the latest chipset drivers for your mobo?

Associate
OP
I’m sure you’ve probably already tried, but if not, have you installed the latest chipset drivers for your mobo?

Thanks for the suggestion, I've tried it with and without let windows grab them, got them off the gigabyte site used the intel driver finder all to no avail unfortunately :(

Associate
OP
@GIGA-Man I'll be away over the weekend and part way into next week, I've spoken to the retailer and they seem to be happy for me to return it although they aren't sure yet if they will simply swap it out or if it's going to go off to gigabyte. my worst fear is I will send it in and they won't be able to replicate my issue and will just send it back, although given everything is up to date and I've done every bit of troubleshooting I can think of they should get the same error.

Thanks for looking into my issue though really appreciate it, here is a Gpuz screenshot http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/19/04/05/qnk.png and here is the model GV-N208TGAMING OC-11GC and serial number SN190741007976 just in case either of those two bits of info are useful as I won't be able to access them while i'm away. not in a massive rush as apart from this fault the card seems to be working normally, and i'm sure you are waiting for a response from some other people at gigabyte.

Have a good weekend :)

Associate
@GIGA-Man I'll be away over the weekend and part way into next week, I've spoken to the retailer and they seem to be happy for me to return it although they aren't sure yet if they will simply swap it out or if it's going to go off to gigabyte. my worst fear is I will send it in and they won't be able to replicate my issue and will just send it back, although given everything is up to date and I've done every bit of troubleshooting I can think of they should get the same error.

Thanks for looking into my issue though really appreciate it, here is a Gpuz screenshot http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/19/04/05/qnk.png and here is the model GV-N208TGAMING OC-11GC and serial number SN190741007976 just in case either of those two bits of info are useful as I won't be able to access them while i'm away. not in a massive rush as apart from this fault the card seems to be working normally, and i'm sure you are waiting for a response from some other people at gigabyte.

Have a good weekend :)

I will continue to chase the issue for you, have a nice time away.

Associate
It does seem like you have a faulty part on the card based on our testing, you can try and swap it with OCUK or deal with us directly. If you deal with us directly, mail [email protected] and reference this conversation in the e-mail. I will make sure to talk with the RMA guys for you and get it sorted ASAP.

Associate
OP
It does seem like you have a faulty part on the card based on our testing, you can try and swap it with OCUK or deal with us directly. If you deal with us directly, mail [email protected] and reference this conversation in the e-mail. I will make sure to talk with the RMA guys for you and get it sorted ASAP.

Thanks for looking in to it, I'm likely to be building a new system for a relative i'll test the card in that to 100% verify it's my card that's at fault and not something it doesn't like about my hardware config. If not i'll get onto you guys directly and hopefully I won't be without my card for too long :)

Associate
OP
DM me on here when you are ready.

Won't let me send a DM on here getting an error stating I am not allowed to start a conversation

What would be the rough ETA on sending the card in and getting a replacement, and would I need to pay return shipping? and any other requirements for getting it ready for sending to you like RMA receipt in the box ect. Monday I'd be free to take the card out and get it ready for RMA if that's acceptable

Thank you for continuing to look into the issue though, it's the reason I've selected a Gigabyte GPU and motherboard for my relatives PC build

Connor

Back
Top Bottom