Gigabyte X570 Ultra missing drivers?

Associate
Hi, apologies if this should really be in the Windows section.

I purchased above X570 MB a few weeks back from OCUK. Up until now I've been running Arch Linux as a host and Windows has been a QEMU guest with GTX1080 passthrough using VFIO. This has worked great.

For various reasons I'm now trying to create a bare metal W10 install but I can't get past the initial screen because W10 says it's missing some storage drivers but I can't for the life of me work out what drivers it needs. I've tried the CD that came with the MB, I've tried downloading the only pre-install drivers I can find from GB's website but Windows refuses to recognise any of them. The crazy thing is that when I browse for drivers the EFI partition of the drive I want to install to is there as drive C !! It's the only drive Windows sees.

I'm not using RAID. I have 4 x various SATA SSD's and a fairly old NVME drive that for whatever reason doesn't show up in the BIOS but does quite happily once I'm in an OS (I don't recall off-hand if I can load the boot manager from it?). I'm using W10 2004 ISO from my MSDN subscription and to be honest always thought I was pretty clued up on this stuff but I'll admit, I'm a bit stuck right now. I did also try W10 from the creation tool before this but had exactly the same problem.

Any clues please?

Associate
OP
Update: I've updated the BIOS to the latest version and for good measure, ran the Samsung firmware update on the NVMe drive (a 950 Pro 512GB PCIE3x4) and the drive is now listed in the BIOS but I still can't get anywhere with installing Windows. Whatever I do it just pops up a dialog saying it's missing a driver. I'm at a loss.

To top it all, Arch won't boot any more either. Not turning out to be the best of days!

[EDIT] Turns out Arch IS booted, but the BIOS update has reset everything so my default guest is not coming up due to virtualisation not being enabled. That will be easy enough to solve though I really wish it hadn't done that as I'm going to have to prat about with fan curves again.

Anyway, meanwhile, if in doubt. Cheat. We'll see how we get on with a `dd if=/dev/VG_GUEST/VG_devOS of=/dev/nvme0n1` to at least install a copy of Windows that I can hopefully boot and ultimately reinstall.

Last edited:
Soldato
Try a different USB stick for the Win 10 installer.

Sounds daft, but this exact issue drove me round the bend for the better part of a day. (Some random 2.5 SATA to USB thing, worked perfectly with a standard stick)

Associate
OP
I actually got round it by using DD to transfer my VM image to the physical disc, no idea how someone starting from scratch would have gone about it. But I will certainly try a different USB stick. I need to go and buy another anyway and I'm intrigued now..

Associate
OP
Yes, when i looked about the best I could see was people asking and eventually just giving up and either sending the board back in frustration or using the NVMe drive as a data drive and installing Windows to SSD. I'm not able to try a different USB stick until the weekend.

My hope is just that my nvme drive is too old to include the appropriate drivers in the firmware but that was why I updated the firmware. I was going to buy another, bigger one like a Salient Rocket 1TB but I'm not so sure now.

Back
Top Bottom